January 9th, 2015

Blasphemy and the law of fanatics

By Fareed Zakaria

When governments try to curry favor with fanatics, eventually the fanatics take the law into their own hands. In Pakistan, jihadis have killed dozens of people whom they accuse of blasphemy, including a brave politician,Salmaan Taseer, who dared to call the blasphemy law a “black law.”

We should fight the Paris terrorists. But we should also fight the source of the problem. It’s not enough for Muslim leaders to condemn people who kill those they consider as blasphemers if their own governments endorse the idea of punishing blasphemy at the very same time. The U.S. religious freedom commission and the U.N. Human Rights Committee have both declared that blasphemy laws violate universal human rights because they violate freedom of speech and expression. They are correct.

Read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,604 Responses)
  1. Philip

I used to work for the Brinkerhoff family, namely "Sonny", after they bought-out the Signal drilling corporation and became known as Brinkerhoff-Signal some 30 odd years ago.
    And we don't take kindly to doctors around here. We know that you drug US for the sake of profit, not health. You need to stick to medical blogs and leave the big issues to US small people. M'kay?
    Love your hair, Chrissy. 🙂

January 10, 2015 at 8:36 am | Reply
  2. Philip MC AM edition

How about some Cars to get your Sat AM going? He he. Ladies and gentlemen and banasy. I bring you the Cars: Can I touch you? Or r u out of touch. Blam!

January 10, 2015 at 8:44 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

She's a lot like you. The Dangerous Type. By Rick Ocasek (spell?) and the incredible non-bribe taking The Cars!
      can i touch you are you out of touch i guess i never noticed that much geranium lover i'm live on your wire come and take me who ever you are she's a lot like you the dangerous type she's a lot like you come on and hold me tight inside angel always upset keep on forgetting that we ever met can i bring you out in the light my curiosity's got me tonight the museum director's with their high shaking heads they kick white shadows until they play dead they want to crack your crossword smile can i take you out for a while

January 10, 2015 at 8:48 am | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Really? Cuz my hair is a mess at the moment lmao!

January 10, 2015 at 8:49 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

Hey Chrissy.:)

January 10, 2015 at 8:52 am | Reply
    • dazzle

@chrissy, the only way that my hair will be presentable is to clip it up or back in a pony tail. I loved the elves of(men)that I got from you. Im feeling like one of them so I won't stay around today, my husband is getting used to them.

January 10, 2015 at 8:58 am | Reply
  4. Philip MC AM edition

She's a lot like you! The dangerous type. She's a lot like you. Come on and hold me tight. La la la. 🙂 Lol

January 10, 2015 at 8:50 am | Reply
  5. Philip MC AM edition

Just so you know @chrissy, you are my only listener here. But that's GREAT! Jesus was only able to save about 200 men and their families during all of the days he walked this earth. Not even his own mother would listen to him. 😦

January 10, 2015 at 8:57 am | Reply
  6. chri§§y

G @ Philip! I see that hindu hating spoiled little nannys boy was busy quite early today eh?

January 10, 2015 at 9:00 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

I guess so. Didn't notice, really. Been busy spinning my yarn.
      AQUALUNG baby yeah!

Sitting on a park bench Eying little girls with bad intent Snot's running down his nose Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes, hey, Aqualung

Drying in the cold sun Watching as the frilly panties run, hey, Aqualung Feeling like a dead duck Spitting out pieces of his broken luck, oh, Aqualung

Sun streaking cold, an old man wandering lonely Taking time, the only way he knows Leg hurting bad as he bends to pick a dog end He goes down to the bog and warms his feet

Feeling alone, the army's up the road Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea Aqualung, my friend, don't you start away uneasy You poor old sod, you see it's only me

Do you still remember December's foggy freeze When the ice that clings on to your beard It was screaming agony

Hey and… Full lyrics on Google Play

January 10, 2015 at 9:05 am | Reply
  7. Philip MC AM edition

While miss Chtissy is fixing her hairdo, I bring you the most ill-interpreted song of all time. Jethro Tull's AQUALUNG. Dig it, baby yeah.

January 10, 2015 at 9:03 am | Reply
  8. Philip MC AM edition

Have had ice clinging to my beard myself. And on many occasion. 🙂

January 10, 2015 at 9:08 am | Reply
  9. Philip MC AM edition

Sadly, if American politicians were indeed gods, we would all be guilty of blasphemy. Do u know what that means for US? Prolly not.

January 10, 2015 at 9:12 am | Reply
  10. chri§§y

Lol meant GM @ you philip. And helloooo @ dazzle...glad you added that or i woulda thought you got hi jacked. And Mark has no choice does he? Lmao. Tell Tori that auntie chrissy says hello!

January 10, 2015 at 9:12 am | Reply
    • dazzle

Goti it @chrissy. LMAO!! He knows he has no choice. He had to go into the hospital and got in late this morning. So he is sleeping. T is over this morning and says hello to you too.

January 10, 2015 at 9:38 am | Reply
  11. Philip MC AM edition

You see, all of today's judges and rulers stand placed in their relative positions by none other than God Himself. You do not fully realize this, or you would not be harping on them as I do. And be actually found to be a fighter against God. God. Who reveals things in His own time. Not mine. Or yours.

January 10, 2015 at 9:18 am | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Seriously? Guess i didnt pay alot of attention to the lyrics of that song much or i wouldnt have liked it! And to the bozo saying something "smelled like frozen perfume"....frozen perfume has no smell! Pull something, anything, out of your freezer and check idgit! There is no smell! Lmao!

January 10, 2015 at 9:22 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

You simply ill- interpreted it as almost everyone but me has done. Even I was fooled at first, but as a young boy. There are no excuses for grown-ups you know.

January 10, 2015 at 9:33 am | Reply
      • banasy©

So, what is it about, Philip? I know what Ian Anderson says about it, what is your interpretation?

January 10, 2015 at 10:42 am |
    • Philip MC AM edition

Even frozen American perfume confuses the male hormone. French parfums do not do this. And by law in France.

January 10, 2015 at 9:37 am | Reply
  13. Philip MC AM edition

What song now, miss Chrissy?

January 10, 2015 at 9:23 am | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Hey daz...check your email in a few. Im gonna send you another picture ok.

January 10, 2015 at 9:26 am | Reply
  15. Philip MC AM edition

Wake up @banasy. You are missing some fine opportunities to try and make me look stupider than you. Ding ding! Wake up you shameless hussy! Lol ( I really like her, you know by now)

January 10, 2015 at 9:29 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Am I a shameless hussy or a prude?

I an far from stupid, which is why I infuriate you so.

January 10, 2015 at 10:29 am | Reply
  16. chri§§y

Lol @ philip...then do stop trying to kill her please! Raising her blood pressure that way is NOT GOOD! Lol and im being serious about the blood pressure thing....heart attacks are no joke! For real!

January 10, 2015 at 9:38 am | Reply
  17. Philip MC AM edition

Hey @dazzle. Just saying Hello.

January 10, 2015 at 9:41 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

Wondering what name God gave you. And am at my shop looking at the mess I made yesterday. And am calculating how much coffee it will take for me to clean it up before my 9AM customer arrives. And I miss raven.

January 10, 2015 at 9:44 am | Reply
  18. chri§§y

Lol @ philip...then do stop trying to k i l l her please! Raising her blood pressure that way is NOT GOOD! Lol and im being serious about the blood pressure thing....heart attacks are no joke! For real!

January 10, 2015 at 9:42 am | Reply
    • banasy©

He doesn't raise my blood pressure, Chrissy. He never has.

Mine is a steady 120/72.

January 10, 2015 at 10:21 am | Reply
  19. Philip MC AM edition

I do not wish to kill her. Just mess her hair up is all.

January 10, 2015 at 9:46 am | Reply
  20. chri§§y

Lol @ daz...bet ya never thought superman would be THAT mellow did ya? He makes a good grandpa! Way better than i ever thought, thats for sure! And kelly (intulsa;)) has started her own business and is doing well. She says hi to everyone also!

January 10, 2015 at 9:49 am | Reply
  21. cantor

Mornin ya'll. Great meaningful comments from this morning EXCEPT for @rapid bat. Lol. The Hindian is frothing with jealousy as IT does not have capacity to express. Recall most are illiterate in Hindooland.

January 10, 2015 at 9:50 am | Reply
    • Philip MC AM edition

Recall we are Americans, rather. And are very more concerned with local threats than those far away in Hindooland. Got it?

January 10, 2015 at 9:57 am | Reply
  22. Philip MC AM edition

I really do like Donna banasy a lot. But as small boys do, I just pull on her pony tails because am lacking the words to express how I feel about her. I love Donna in reality. Yet despise this banasy who has krept in my way. Sorry.

January 10, 2015 at 9:52 am | Reply
  23. chri§§y

Lol @ philip its gonna take alotta coffee if you keep playing DJ also! I will tell Raven your message ok? Now how bout some more hippity hop Twitch! And lets see them penguin moves while youre at it! Lmao!

January 10, 2015 at 9:54 am | Reply
  24. Godolphin

First timer. Very impressed with@ Blue Saffron's and a few other comments.
    The rest seem to be on cannabis. Bunch of i diotic perverts who think they are funny. Not

I will never visit these forums again. Good bye. And Fareed, I think you are a donkey from India.

January 10, 2015 at 9:59 am | Reply
  25. chri§§y

Good morning to you @ cantor! This is HOW every day SHOULD start. With laughter and warmth, not hatred and bitterness! Comfort and joy, comfort and joy, and goooood tidings toooo you! Lol sorry @ MC hammer, just felt like singing! Lmao

January 10, 2015 at 10:01 am | Reply
  26. Aiden Buford

This is not your mother's outhouse nor your father's samosa stand. This is a public forum. Follow ettiquettes and decorum. Debate issues. Otherwise f ukk off to your snake charmer land.

January 10, 2015 at 10:03 am | Reply
  27. Philip MC AM edition

Paris was an inside job. Duuh!

January 10, 2015 at 10:03 am | Reply
  28. chri§§y

@ godolphin...hooliganism is legal in the US. Some just take it to the level of extreme, and im talking about those who STEAL other peoples names here, just to slander them and post filth! It isnt necessary!

January 10, 2015 at 10:08 am | Reply
  29. Blue Saffroń

TODAY WE MOURN THE DEAD AND PRAY FOR THE INJURED! Our hearts are with the people of France and families and friends of these folks. For their sake you can join us in these condolences and offerance of sympathies or smolder your burning heart. This is no place for Hindus to Hinder the Heavenly Heart.

I am posting this in black to respect the memory of Charlie Hebdo.
    Je Suis Charlie.

January 10, 2015 at 10:09 am | Reply
  30. Philip MC AM edition

Shut up Blue. Lee in Tulsa was 3 of you. If not more.

January 10, 2015 at 10:13 am | Reply