January 16th, 2015

U.S. intervention not the answer in Middle East

By Fareed Zakaria

It would be nice if an American intervention could identify the moderate Syrians, ensure that they defeat the (much stronger) radical Islamists and then the (much stronger) Assad army, and then stabilize and rule Syria. More likely, it would help Assad and add fuel to a raging fire.

Let’s review the record. The United States’ non-intervention in Bosnia in the early 1990s is said to have spawned Islamic radicalism, as did the interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan in the early 2000s, as did the partnership with Pakistan’s military, as did drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, as did the surge in Afghanistan, as did the withdrawal of troops from that country. When the United States intervenes, it is said to provoke terrorists; when it doesn’t, it is said to show that Washington is weak. No matter what the United States has done over the past two decades, Islamic radicalism has been on the rise, often directed against the United States and its Western allies, and it always finds a few alienated young men who act on its perverse ideology.

Read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

1. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

And in a perfect world there would be no wars! But...this isnt a perfect world.

January 16, 2015 at 2:47 am | Reply
    • 2:47 am name thief

In a perfect world, I su ck Modi's big Indian Hindu di ck.
      Mmmmmm. So good.

January 16, 2015 at 9:22 am | Reply
  2. Blue Saffroń

The problem with Fareed Zakaria's journalism besides the historic plagiarism is that it is highly polarizing. There is no substance to it. Instead of bringing the world together, it divides it along racial and religious lines. It offers no solutions. Like a drunken sailor Fareed goes from blog to blog rudderless and clueless as to what matters most in the world. He still lives in the world of McCarthyism.

January 16, 2015 at 6:17 am | Reply
    • Aiden Buford

You nailed it!

January 16, 2015 at 7:05 am | Reply
      • Aiden Buford

I spread my hairy legs so Modi can shove his big Indian di ck up my azzz. Love it!

January 16, 2015 at 9:20 am |
    • Blue Saffron

Hi I fu kk my mother.

January 16, 2015 at 9:10 am | Reply
  3. Blue Saffroń

Fareed, what is the point of this article? Why are you bent upon making a fool of yourself?
    Let me tell you what the problems are in the world today that is fueling all this discontent.
    Let me also tell you that there will no peace till these issues are resolved.

The first problem is that of Palestine. Return the land back to Palestinians. It was stolen from them. You know whst we do to land thieves in the west? We hang them.

The second issue is that of Indian Occupied Kashmir. A plebiscite needs to be held there as mandated by UN Resolutions.

The genocides in Iraq and Afghanistan by Western nations has also left a scar on the people.

It does not take a rock scientist to identify these issues that form the crux of the whiplash that we are experiencing today. Do you get it? Of course not! You are handed a script by CIA.

January 16, 2015 at 6:29 am | Reply
  4. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

@ Blue Saffron.....So its your opinion that one journalist has the capability to "bring the world together"??? He isnt a super hero...you do know that, right? And obviously you hold him (Fareed) in contempt, so why do you continue to read his articles? Just so you can slander and heckle him? And you dont think thats disturbing?

January 16, 2015 at 6:38 am | Reply
    • Blue Saffron

Good morning. I su ck Modi's di ck. Mmmmm good.

January 16, 2015 at 9:11 am | Reply
    • 6:38 am name thief

Modi fukks my mother. Then he shoves his big Indian di ck up my asz. Mmmmm good.

January 16, 2015 at 9:24 am | Reply
  5. Capri

At an annual briefing with reporters, India's Delhi Police Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi said that a total of 122,069 raipe cases were reported in New Delhi in the 12 months leading up to December 15, against 92,571 reported the previous year, an increase of 31.6 per cent.

The city sealed its reputation as India's “raipe capital” two years ago when a medical student died after being gang-raiped on a moving bus.

Who says it is a perfect world.

January 16, 2015 at 6:40 am | Reply
    • Capri

Howdy ya 'll. I am a true di ck su cker.
      I love to su ck Indian di cks.

I li ck Modi's b all's.
      Mmmmm delicious.

January 16, 2015 at 9:14 am | Reply
  6. Blue Saffroń

Fareed needs to seek atonement and perhaps another profession. His ethics are third world and similar to the woman bashing Microsoft guy who is also of Indian origin. Shame on them. They are misfits in our western society.

January 16, 2015 at 6:43 am | Reply
  7. Blue Saffroń

I am not a messiah but this I will say. The world will never see peace again till the Palestinian and Indian Occupied Kashmir issues are resolved.

Either the world will be destroyed or the battlefield will now shift across the pond westwards. That seems to be the movie that is now playing.

America has failed to lead the world. UN was always a farce.

January 16, 2015 at 6:50 am | Reply
    • Blue Saffron

My mommy's hairy stinky Muslim Islamic pus y is tasty.
      I also su ck her monkey t its.
      That mother of mine is a great b it ch.

January 16, 2015 at 9:17 am | Reply
  8. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

It may not be a perfect world but it certainly is a small world after all. A gentle kinder world. Not. Seriously, Fareed you should go back to being a can driver. Journalism is not your thing.

January 16, 2015 at 6:57 am | Reply
    • 6:57 am name thief

I eat Indian di cks but in a more gentle way.

January 16, 2015 at 9:28 am | Reply
  9. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

And while you are it Fareed, quit plagiarizing.
    After you pick a few ideas of @Blue Saffron. Lol

January 16, 2015 at 6:59 am | Reply
  10. Blue Saffroń

The mantra that “We will not be intimated” is not the solution. Looking problem into the eye and solving it is way into the future.

Remember the movie Seven Days in May? We may yet see that scenario play out after all if our politicians can’t figure it out.

January 16, 2015 at 7:02 am | Reply
  11. Blue Saffroń

It seems to me that we are getting closer to a nuclear showdown. Globally people are disgruntled and long standing issues keep on festering. World organizations put in place as safety valves have failed. World powers have been put to ridicule and become the butt of jokes. Diseases are rampant and chefs are making more money than doctors. Murderers and genocidalists are being elected as leaders. My wishes and prayers go out to all.

January 16, 2015 at 7:02 am | Reply
  12. Blue Saffroń

Nobody invited us caucasians into the M-E or Iraq rattling our sabres. We have killed millions for no reason. Trust me there will be payback. Just like in Afghanistan we retreated with the tail between our legs claiming victory. What victory? We are broke. Just go to Fort Bragg et al and see the cemeteries full of our dead ones. Go to Walter Reed and watch the maimed. Go to Veteran’s Hospital and witness the sick die waiting for help. Enough.

Bush needs to stand trial alongwith his team.

January 16, 2015 at 7:12 am | Reply
    • Chappel H

You make a better case than this article. Remember the book The Ugly American? So true.

January 16, 2015 at 7:20 am | Reply
      • Chappel H.

It seems to me, Blue Saffron can take it up the asz better than my mommy. My mommy is a w.h.O.r.e.

January 16, 2015 at 9:30 am |
  13. Chappel H

It appears to me that @Blue Saffron can write better than Fareed.

January 16, 2015 at 7:16 am | Reply
  14. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Lol @ BS...isnt that HYPOCRITICAL for you to accuse Fareed of stealing someones elses words when YOU have just stolen my name to post under?? More than once as this is only my 3rd post here!

January 16, 2015 at 7:17 am | Reply
  15. chri§§y¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Thats automatic disqualification from being a messiah! Lying and thievery!

January 16, 2015 at 7:20 am | Reply
  16. Blue Saffroń

PARDON ME:::: BUT------>>>>>

There are 4 million muslims being subjected to genocide in Indian Occupied Kashmir by Hindus. Hundreds of thousands have been killed.

Over 20,000 muslims have been killed by hindus in Gujarat

About 6 million Palestinian muslims have been made homeless and their lands taken away by jews in collaboration with Americans/British et al. One million have been killed.

175 million muslims in India are living in oppression, subjugated by hindus and therefore seeking independence.

300,000 muslims have been killed in Iraq by western forces

250,000 muslims have been killed in Afghanistan by NATO.

And we are talking about Islamic radicalism?
    Nuts! LMFAO

January 16, 2015 at 7:27 am | Reply
  17. Blue Saffroń

I am here to debate issues. Question premises. Offer insights. That is what is expected of you. Not petty pillow talk or trashy innuendos or needless outright abusive personal attacks. No can do.

So let us talk about the muslims in India since Fareed segway(ed) this into his post. The muslims in India have been massacred, suppressed, maimed and rayped by the hindu majority in India. They have been living in oppression. Suffocated. Genocides committed against them.

January 16, 2015 at 7:33 am | Reply
  18. chri§§y¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Fine, debate them. Just dont use my name to do it please. And FYI @ bs...EXPECTATION leads to disappointment! Lmfao! You are nobody to me!

January 16, 2015 at 7:59 am | Reply
    • 7:59 troll

Howdy. I just love to troll. Anyway, my mother is an Islamic w.h.O.r.e.
      He he. I fu kk that bi ch too.

January 16, 2015 at 9:35 am | Reply
  19. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

My comment was rejected. Probably not PC enough.
    It concerned the history of the Middle East, Bosnia, and timing.
    May I post about India and ray
    pe there?

January 16, 2015 at 8:52 am | Reply
  20. Blue Saffron

Pardon me. But where is Modi? He was supposed to fu kk me in the asz an hour ago.

January 16, 2015 at 9:33 am | Reply
    • palintwit

Who the hell is Modi and who cares anyway?

January 16, 2015 at 9:34 am | Reply
  21. palintwit

"Two of the biggest non-elected faces of the American Right are a self admitted pedophile who pooped his pants to avoid military service (Ted Nugent) and the matriarch of a family that got into a drunken brawl at a birthday party. (Sarah Palin)"

January 16, 2015 at 9:33 am | Reply
  22. Blue Saffroń

The American political branch is out of control. Police have taken over our streets. The politburo our money. Armed forces our skies, land and seas. And left us with quadrillion dollars of debt. Shame on us. Impeach the bums and dissolve the rest. We need to take back our country. We need a more kinder gentler democracy and a new world order.

January 16, 2015 at 9:35 am | Reply
  23. Blue Saffron

Modi
    Modi
    Modi
    How I long to su ck your Indian di ck and fu kk your dirty Islamic mother's dirty pus y.
    He he

January 16, 2015 at 9:38 am | Reply
  24. Blue Saffron

I am here to debate the issues.
    After I defecate all over Pakistan, should I su ck Modi Indian Hindu di ck, or let him fu kk my asz?

That is the issue.

January 16, 2015 at 9:41 am | Reply
  25. Blue Saffron

So true Joey, censorship is a bad thing.
    Now please excuse me while I go fu kk my mother, shove my di ck up her dirty Paki Muslim Islamic pu sy, then su ck Modi Indian Hindu di ck.
    Mmmmm good.

January 16, 2015 at 9:43 am | Reply
  26. Blue Saffron

Indeed censorship is a bad thing.
    Modi
    Modi
    Modi
    Great guy. He shoves his di ck up my asz.
    Lol. Feels so good.

January 16, 2015 at 9:45 am | Reply
  27. Chappel H.

Wait wait.
    Save some Indian sailor di ck for me.
    Please Blue Saffron.
    Lol

January 16, 2015 at 9:47 am | Reply
  28. Chappel H.

Ahhh. Where's the 're tarded list troll.
    Oh yea, he's su cking Indian di ck right now.

January 16, 2015 at 9:49 am | Reply
  29. Blue Saffron

We want a list!!!
    We want a list!!!
    We want a list!!!

Come on di ck sukker. Post your 're tarded list while I fu ck your mother.

January 16, 2015 at 9:52 am | Reply
  30. Blue Saffroń

A narrative on contemporary terrorism: The Blue Saffron Perspective

Modern day terrorism was invented by the likes of Mussolini and Hitler assisted by Gandhi. They were Christians and hindus. Millions were killed in the most vicious way.

J aypanese then invented the next generation of terrorism by indulging in suicide b ombings. They were S hintoists/Buddhists.
    Subsequently, It was perpetuated by USA and Western nations in Jaypan. let us call it m ass murder. The terrorists were Christians. The n uclear attack killed millions.

Contemporary terrorism was refined by the Italian Mafia. Italian neck tie, deliverance of dead fish, severed limbs et al was the norm. They were Catholic Christians.

Subsequently, India mastered terrorism
    via raypes and beheadings and burning innocent people alive in Indian Occupied Kashmir and Gujarat, Assam, Tamil Nadu etc. These bad guys were hindus. Again, millions have been killed.

There you have it.