January 17th, 2015

Panetta on 'intelligence failure' over Paris attack

Fareed speaks with former CIA Director Leon Panetta about whether there was an intelligence failure over the attacks in Paris last week. Watch the full interview on GPS this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

What was your sense of the quality of French intelligence? I mean one often hears that not only are they pretty good, but they're pretty aggressive. Would that be your sense?

Panetta: Well, there's no question that, I think, the failure to be able to have prevented the attack that took place in Paris was an intelligence failure. And I know they had these individuals on watch lists. I know that, in some ways, they were tracking them, but because of priorities or because of resources, obviously, they weren't aware that these attacks were going to be conducted.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

NSA french branch?

January 17, 2015 at 11:32 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Well, now, I guess every country everywhere are supposed to use the US model for "intelligence."

Give me a break.

January 17, 2015 at 11:49 am | Reply
  2. Blue Saffroń

And what is your claim to fame Leon? Looking for one Osama while thousands were being cloned !!! Thank you very much. You fooled us. Damned if I will be fooled again.

The likes of Bush, Hillary, Leon etc. should be humiliated publicly for putting us at risk and leaving behind a legacy of vulnerability.

These terrorists living in caves have succeeded in outwitting our Ivy League intelligensia. I agree that the worse is yet to come. We are using chewing gum to plug the holes of a sinking canoe. The crocodiles await us. Watch!

January 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Agree @ Blue Saffron. And of course we already know the NSA doesnt have a stellar performance record anyway!

January 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  4. Blue Cynic

Leon Pan who? It will be about another 20 years before Panetta can speak freely. Get a clue.

January 17, 2015 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  5. Blue Cynic

The NSA has an OUTSTANDING record keeping track of lazy work shy and fraudulent Americans. Anyone who says otherwise is ill-informed to say the least. Big fat dumb and stupid being the most.

January 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  6. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Havent found a shuttle back to your planet yet @ cynical philip!

January 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  7. Blue Saffron

I su ck big camel di cks.

January 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  8. bobcat2u

A woman visited a modern-art gallery. One painting was bright blue with vivid orange swirls and the one hanging next to it was black with lime-green splotches.

The artist stood nearby, so as politely as she could, the woman said to him, "I'm sorry, but I just don't understand you paintings."

"I paint what I feel inside me," the artist replied.

"I see," the woman replied innocently. "Have you tried Alka-Seltzer?"

January 17, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

My granddaughter has a future as a modern artist.

January 17, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Jackson Pollock to be exact.

January 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm |
      • banasy©

Damn, it took me 4 tries to get JP through; silly word filters and their juvenile connotations.

January 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm |
      • bobcat2u

BTW I saw that. Short / lack of memory ?

January 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm |
      • Yedi

I do believe filters serve a purpose. It's a shame that some of you cannot be filtered. Very few remarks here today are worth reading.

January 17, 2015 at 2:56 pm |
      • bobcat2u

It's more of a shame that many others cannot get filtered.

January 17, 2015 at 3:02 pm |
      • banasy©

Goodbye, Yeti. Nothing keeping you here.

January 17, 2015 at 3:03 pm |
      • banasy©

Bobcat: lack of a spreadsheet to keep up.

January 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm |
  9. banasy©

Test.

January 17, 2015 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  10. Yedi

Test?
    Not working. You dirty American.

January 17, 2015 at 2:05 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

If you do not wish to converse with an American, feel free not to answer the post. I doubt you'd get the reason why I posted "Test" in the first place.

Go listen to some Björk, then. You'll be much more content.

January 17, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  11. Blue Saffroń

What kind of Italian bread are you Panatela?
    You are the type I would feed to the pigeons in St. Mark's Square. Not make bread pudding out of. Scram ya mafioso.

January 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  12. Yedi

These American s all of them are spoiled. The people of Iceland are better.

January 17, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  13. Yedi

I rest my case. Just listen to Blue Saffron scraming me away.
    Another half breed American. Hates India and other's opinions.

January 17, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Reply
    • Blue Saffroń

Are you mad at me? What did I do? I am just voicing my opinions. Half breed American? Hates Indians? Wrong on all counts.

Btw what case are you resting?

January 17, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  14. Yedi

I do not like Americans nor the British.

January 17, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

An American was telling one of his favorite jokes to a group of friends. "Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the waiters are French, the policemen are Germans, and the trains are run by Italians."

The lone European in the group pondered all this for a second and responded, "I can't say about the police and the trains, but you're probably right about going out to eat. A restaurant in Hell would be one where the cooks are British and the waiters are French – and the customers are all Americans."

January 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Hey @ bobcat...hows your weather today lol? And you saw what?

January 17, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Hey chrissy. I didn't know for sure if this was you. Weather is jumping back and forth. Highs 40's-60's, Lows 30's-50's. Typical.
      I was referring to the denials.

January 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Reply
      • Yedi

Pardon me, not to offend, but a quick glance at one's smart phone or a 10 second google search will suffice for your hunger to know the temperature in one's home.
        No need to impress us all with your vast wisdom on temperature.
        No offense intended. Just honesty.

January 17, 2015 at 3:05 pm |
      • banasy©

Yes, they are hilarious, aren't they?

January 17, 2015 at 3:06 pm |
      • banasy©

This newest identity is annoying.

Who cares what you think?

January 17, 2015 at 3:11 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Pleased to know that you are impressed with my vast knowledge of what the temp is outside my door.

January 17, 2015 at 3:14 pm |
  16. Yedi

Blue Saffron. Please control your hostility and stop badgering me
    Thank you.

January 17, 2015 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  17. Yedi

I did not know this was a weather social blog . Silly me.

January 17, 2015 at 2:52 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

People don't converse online in Iceland?

January 17, 2015 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  18. Yedi

The problem is that the gates of Europe have opened up for Islamic fanatics. Oh my. I said the "I" word. That incompetent American president and the CIA will hunt me down now.

January 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  19. Blue Saffroń

14 yrs after 9/11 and we still talking about intelligence failures. Will we ever learn? Lol
    Mea Culpa will only get bullets up the wazoo.

January 17, 2015 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  20. Yedi

Blue Saffron, Banasy, and the joker, I would like to say that it has been a pleasure, but unfortunately it hasn't.
    I shall leave now and hope that when and if I come back, you will have something relevant and intelligent to say.

January 17, 2015 at 3:15 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

And yet, Yeti, nobody cares what you think.

You have yet to display any measurable intelligence in any of your comments, yourself; condescension, yes, intelligence, no.

(Psssst: neither does anyone care if you come back or not.)

January 17, 2015 at 3:55 pm | Reply
      • Yedi

Truly I marvel.
        1. Filters are needed.
        2. Europe has allowed too many fanatics into their homeland.

These are relevant comments. Are they not?
        Excuse my digression, but honestly, some of these and previous remarks are astounding. Simply rendered useless.
        I doubt you would understand.

January 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm |
      • banasy©

Filters are not needed. There was simply no reason to filter a name. That is absurd.
        You merely used that as a springboard to insult us for no discernable reason.

If you feel Europe lets too many people into the respective countries that comprise it, you would be better served by complaining on a website that originates on that continent. As I don't live in Europe, not any of the other posters her do, that comment is, indeed, not pertinent to what we were talking about before you arrived to interject.

As no one except myself replied to you, obviously they found the post not very relevant. And the reply I have was to your silly comment that the CIA or Obama would even care about what some random person thinks.

Are we done here?

January 17, 2015 at 4:12 pm |
      • Yedi

Panetta:
        "I know they had these individuals on watch lists."
        My comment was relevant to the article. My patience for you has expired.

January 17, 2015 at 4:23 pm |
      • banasy©

And I still do not care. You're nothing to me.

January 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm |
  21. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

The "weather" comment was code for yes its really me if you MUST know @ Yedi! How many light years away is YOUR homeland. The planet of the unhappy isnt it??

January 17, 2015 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  22. Yedi

Well, chrissy. You just gave away your code. You're not very wise are you?
    As I said before, this is not a very smart group of people. Far from it.

January 17, 2015 at 3:54 pm | Reply

Do you not know English?

He asked if that was really her. She gave him an answer that would let him know that yes, it really is her.

What are you going to do with this code? Hack into the Doppler Radar System?

January 17, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  23. Yedi

Relevant and intelligent still absent.
    Lord have mercy.

January 17, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Start saying something that is relevant. You have yet to do so, yet persist with snippy comments.

Lord have mercy.

January 17, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  24. Yedi

I have done so, twice. Please refer to my 4:02 post.
    Thank you.

January 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Reply

And I answered you.
      You're welcome.

January 17, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  25. bobcat2u

And the beat goes on.

January 17, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

One would think that troll would get bored.

January 17, 2015 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  26. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Yedi? lol thats another term for sasquatch right? And it tis you that is not so smart. The code changes every time idiot! And why are you and your ugly personality, concerned with any thing we have to say to each other? Mind your own business for future reference ok.

January 17, 2015 at 6:14 pm | Reply
    • Blue Cynic

Yeti is what the myth is called, little crusty pants. You watched too much Star Wars Jedi.

January 17, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Reply
  27. Blue Cynic

Thanks for taking the heat, Yedi. I'll take the late shift 8-2 eastern if you want. Or if you want to try and hold-out against that school of piranha on your ass is OK too. Kind of fun outrunning old hags from the upper Midwest and Texuns with scrawny little arms and legs. Little pot bellies filled with who knows what.

January 17, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

How's that lawsuit going, chickenman?

January 17, 2015 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  28. Blue Cynic

Failure of the Paris attack? Am thinking a blue ribbon is in order. If terrorizing judges deciding what color.

January 17, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  29. Blue Cynic

You do not want to hear where you got the word 'Cynic' from. This I guarantee. The last time I told of it ya'll threw rocks at me ya know. That was over 2 years ago btw.

January 17, 2015 at 7:56 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yawn. Who cares what you think? You've no credibility, anyhow.

January 17, 2015 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  30. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Actually i dont care to HEAR anything from YOU period! I have no time nor interest to waste on someone who would stomp all over my trust. So take a hike!

January 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Reply