January 17th, 2015

Panetta: We're facing 'much more aggressive form of terrorism'

Fareed speaks with former CIA Director Leon Panetta about how the U.S. should respond to the recent terrorist attack in Paris. Watch the full interview on GPS this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

There are a lot of people who feel that the United States doesn't face quite the same danger, partly because, as you say, we've got oceans and watch lists. But also because the Muslim population in the United States is much more thoroughly assimilated than in Europe. Would you agree with that?

Well, I think obviously that since 9/11, we've done a very good job of being able to improve our intelligence gathering capabilities, our law enforcement capabilities, our intelligence in terms of being able to track the particular threats that are out there. And clearly our Muslim population has the opportunity to become citizens in this country, to integrate more fully into our society. And that gives us an advantage.

But having said that, the reality is that when these foreign nationals are able to come back into our country – and there are thousands of these nationals that are overseas in Syria and Iraq, in Yemen – I think it still represents a real danger in terms of the United States.

I don't think we can take anything for granted. I think we're dealing with a much more aggressive form of terrorism coming at us in a number of different directions, as I said. And the United States ought to continue to remain very vigilant and very aggressive in going after this kind of terrorism.

Would you expand the no-fly list, the watch lists? Would you put in place new procedures for even more intrusive intelligence, intelligence gathering?

You know, one thing I learned as CIA director is that you can always improve what you're doing in terms of being able to develop, not only the lists, but develop the intelligence that's needed in order to make sure that we're able to track these individuals.

I mean, we do have the watch list. We have pretty good security with regards to those coming into this country. I think we have a good capability there.

The problem is in dealing with those in the various European areas where there is, frankly, less aggressiveness at going after these individuals when they return. So the real challenge here is going to be for the United States to work very closely with our counterparts in Europe to make sure that these watch lists are shared, that we're working together to make sure that these individuals are being tracked when they try to come back to the various countries, and that we work together operationally to be able to go after them once that happens.

So there's room for a great deal of improvement here in order to make sure that we're at the top of our game in terms of trying to protect our country.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. bobcat2u

Why don't blind people go skydiving?

Because it scares the bejesus out of the dogs!

January 18, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Shut-up @DumbBob. Thank you.

January 18, 2015 at 8:38 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

I'd say take your own advice before you're caught out on another lie, such as this:

Philip says:
        January 18, 2015 at 7:59 pm
        @banasy claim that wearing condoms will make God happy. Ain’t that a hoot.

You know I never claimed that, you lying sack of excrement. I didn't even bring up God OR condoms, you did!
        As a matter of fact, I don't think any of my posts mention condoms at all.

You're a poor debater, and when you are backed into a corner because you do suck at debate, resort to lying.

You are, and remain, an ignorant ass.

January 18, 2015 at 9:45 pm |
  2. Philip

Jesus said the dead are only sleeping. Over 200 years later, a Roman Catholic pontiff declared bad people burn in a place called "Hell". And to this very day people believe him over Jesus.

January 18, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Reply
    • Philip

...people like DumbBob here. And @banasy over there.

January 18, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Tell me again what you think I believe? Because as far as I see, you've told yet another lie, because it certainly isn't "Over 200 years later, a Roman Catholic pontiff declared bad people burn in a place called “Hell”. And to this very day people believe him over Jesus."

I've posted before on your propensity to lie about people, and what they believe. You SHOUKD take note that you'll have to answer for all of your lies one day.

January 18, 2015 at 9:49 pm |
    • Philip The Ped

Jesus said I can abort my babies and be a hypocrite and lie about people. Then I can go to sleep and He PROMISED he'd wake me up.

January 18, 2015 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  3. bobcat2u

Guy walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under arm. Says to the bartender: "I’ll take a beer, and one for the road."

January 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Keep going. You almost made me laugh at that last one.

January 18, 2015 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

How much does a pirate pay for corn?

A buccaneer!

January 18, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Reply
    • Philip

oh. Very funny. Ha ha? Tell us some fat jokes about lazy firemen, would you?

January 18, 2015 at 8:42 pm | Reply
    • Med Man aka "firefighter"

Went on 3 4 alarm fire calls today. All were simple cases of Americans needing their meds adjusted. Never mind.

January 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm | Reply
      • Philip The Ped

I don't call anyone when my house catches fire. Cardboard burns too fast!

January 18, 2015 at 8:53 pm |
      • banasy©

I remain unsurprised that you don't know the damned differences between firemen and paramedics, EMT's, and first responders.

Go educate yourself, you ignorant ass.

January 18, 2015 at 10:17 pm |
  5. bobcat2u

Why can't you write with a broken pencil?

BECAUSE IT'S POINTLESS!

January 18, 2015 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  6. Philip

Oh. Very funny. Now, care to get real?

January 18, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  7. bobcat2u

What do you call a guy who never farts in public?

A PRIVATE TUTOR!

January 18, 2015 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  8. bobcat2u

Have you heard the one about the Corduroy pillow?

It's making HEADLINES!

January 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm | Reply
    • Med Man aka "firefighter"

Have you hard the one about the man from India legally marrying his humpy pillow? And American men legally marrying each other in a church of God's? And in the near future marrying animals in the name of The Lord?

January 18, 2015 at 8:48 pm | Reply
      • Philip The Ped

Stop me if you heard this one.
        There once was a man who lied about people, preached about Jesus, drove his pregnant gf's to get his babies aborted, drank like a fish while pointing out other people's behaviors...you have? You know the punch line is Philip?

Never mind.

January 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm |
  9. bobcat2u

What do you call it when a dinosaur crashes his car?

Tyrannosaurus Wrecks

January 18, 2015 at 8:48 pm | Reply
  10. Philip

Bob. You have withdrawn into your humor. Just as Robin Williams did. A warning.

January 18, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  11. bobcat2u

A neutron walks into a bar and asks "how much for a beer?" The bartender says, "for you? no charge."

January 18, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  12. Philip

T-rex was a proven scavenger. Not an apex predator as you were told. Next question.

January 18, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  13. bobcat2u

What do you call a man with no arms or legs who gets into a fight with his cat?

Claude

January 18, 2015 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  14. bobcat2u

Why is there no gambling in Africa?

Too many Cheetahs!

January 18, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  15. bobcat2u

Why did the cookie cry?

Because his mother was a wafer so long!

January 18, 2015 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  16. bobcat2u

There’s two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says

‘You man the guns, I’ll drive’

January 18, 2015 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  17. bobcat2u

What do you call it when you feed a stick of dynamite to a steer?

Abominable! (say it out loud, slowly)

January 18, 2015 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  18. bobcat2u

How does an octopus go to war?

WELL-ARMED

January 18, 2015 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  19. bobcat2u

What did the psychiatrist say when a man wearing nothing but saran wrap walked into his office?

I can clearly see you're nuts!

January 18, 2015 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Heres a question for you @ Philip...Why would you LIE to all of us here, on a national website ABOUT BEING RAYPED WHEN YOU WERE A BOY....BY A PRIEST??? So you could have the longest running pity party in history THATS WHY!!!

January 18, 2015 at 9:16 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Whoops

January 18, 2015 at 9:32 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You hit the nail on the head: for pity.

January 18, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

chirp chirp chirp

January 18, 2015 at 9:46 pm | Reply

Crickets.

I wonder how he thinks anyone can take him seriously when his lies are constantly exposed...

January 18, 2015 at 9:52 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I know. I'm still waiting to hear the response.

January 18, 2015 at 10:02 pm |
      • banasy©

Ha. You know what the response will be.

January 18, 2015 at 10:12 pm |
      • banasy©

I also like the way that he has no clue what 3 alarm and 4 alarm fires mean.

I smh at such ignorance.

January 18, 2015 at 10:25 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I also love your touting of the difference between firefighters (which I no longer do), paramedics and first responders. Who knows, maybe it will sink in one day.

January 18, 2015 at 10:34 pm |
      • banasy©

I know; he doesn't have a clue about most of the crap he spews.

You have stated before you're no longer a firefighter; but he persists in talking about it as if you did.

This merely proves he does not retain the written word, or cannot comprehend what he has read.

January 18, 2015 at 10:43 pm |
  21. bobcat2u

A rabbi, a priest and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "What is this, a joke?"

January 18, 2015 at 10:05 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

This is one of my very favorite jokes to tell.

January 18, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Philip seems to have taken umbrage with my jokes "tonight".

January 18, 2015 at 10:20 pm |
      • banasy©

Philip takes Umbrage© with our continued existence.

Philip also needs to educate himself on what you actually do instead of thinking firetrucks are dispatched for medical emergencies.

January 18, 2015 at 10:28 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I know that's true.

January 18, 2015 at 10:36 pm |
  22. bobcat2u

Q: What do you call a sleepwalking nun?
    A: A roamin' Catholic!

Q: What do you call a nun in a wheelchair?
    A: Virgin Mobile.

January 18, 2015 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  23. bobcat2u

Q: Why did the priest giggle during service ?
    A: Mass hysteria!

January 18, 2015 at 10:10 pm | Reply
  24. bobcat2u

Jesus was walking along one day, when He came upon a group of people surrounding a lady of ill repute. It was obvious that the crowd was preparing to stone her, so Jesus made His now-famous statement, "Let the person who has no sin cast the first stone." The crowd was shamed and one by one began to turn away. All of a sudden, a lovely little woman made her way through the crowd. Finally getting to the front, she tossed a pebble towards the woman. Jesus looks over and says, "I really hate it when you do that, Mom."

January 18, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  25. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Lol @ bobcat...that or of being slapped in the face with his bald faced lies! If you go back to threads over a week ago you will find the one, the biggest one...where he says he never told us he was rayped by a priest! Yet theres many a mention of it on the TJI blog archives, by HIM!

January 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Yeah, I was going to ask you how that search is coming. But that raype thing was back when I first started posting over on TJI. That's all I saw for a long time.

January 18, 2015 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  26. bobcat2u

An man bursts into a priest's study and says, " I've got to tell you this. I'm 50 years old and for the thirty years I've been married I never cheated on my wife. Then this sweet thing moved in next door and since then.....wow!" "How long has it been since your last Confession ?" asks the priest. "I've never been to Confession. I'm Jewish" "Then why are you telling me this?" "I'm telling everyone!"

January 18, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  27. bobcat2u

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I have been with a loose girl."

The priest asks, "Is that you, little Joey Parisi?"

"Yes, Father, it is."

"And who was the girl you were with?"

"I can't tell you, Father, I don't want to ruin her reputation."

"Well, Joey, I'm sure to find out her name sooner or later, so you may as well tell me now. Was it Tina Minetti?"

"I cannot say."

"Was it Teresa Volpe?"

"I'll never tell."

"Was it Nina Capelli?"

"I'm sorry, but I cannot name her."

"Was it Cathy Piriano?"

"My lips are sealed."

"Was it Rosa Di Angelo, then?"

"Please, Father, I cannot tell you."

The priest sighs in frustration. "You're very tight lipped, Joey Parisi, and I admire that. But you've sinned and have to atone. You cannot be an altar boy now for 4 months. Now you go and behave yourself."

Joey walks back to his pew, and his friend Franco slides over and whispers, "what'd you get?"

"4 months vacation and five good leads."

January 18, 2015 at 10:51 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh my goodness!! I did NOT see that coming! Lmao!!

January 18, 2015 at 11:10 pm | Reply
  28. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

Lmao @ bobcat that was awesome! Hey wanta help us with our search big guy? We can text you a place to start if you like. Lmao.

January 18, 2015 at 11:28 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Sure, I'll be happy to help. I know it's there, just unsure of how far back.

January 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  29. bobcat2u

Remember this :

bobcat (in a hat)©

Mine would be an uncharted island where all bobcats would be free to roam as they please. There would be fields of catnip so we could experience the euphoria of enlightenment forever. We would allow some dogs, but only as our servants. We would section off one very large area of beach for a litter box so we could experience the serenity of the waves lapping on the shore as we relieved ourselves. The wind would be so gentle that it would never aggravate us by ruffling our fur. Ah yes, that would be the cats meow.
    June 21, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply

So it was long before this date too.

January 19, 2015 at 12:12 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol, I sure do! That was funny.

January 19, 2015 at 11:41 am | Reply
  30. chri§§y ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

K sending you a place to start now.

January 19, 2015 at 12:12 am | Reply