January 18th, 2015

Analyst: Muslim communities in Europe 'among most contented' of any minority

Fareed speaks with Doug Saunders, an international affairs columnist for 'The Globe and Mail' and the author of 'The Myth of the Muslim Tide: Do Immigrants Threaten the West?' about the question of whether there is widespread anger among Muslims in Europe. Watch the full interview on GPS this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

What about the general idea that these immigrants, that Muslim immigrants in Europe, are angry, that they are angry with the world, angry with the fact that the world isn't of their making, that the West is sort of the dominant power, that there is a kind of rage, a Muslim rage in Europe?

No. We do need to understand that there obviously are some people among that community who are very angry. The people who are committing anti-Semitic attacks and attacks on journalists and acts of terrorism – these are obviously individuals who are motivated by anger.

The question is, does that reflect the community around them? Is that born out of the community around them, or is that something that's imported, that's a foreign value that they've adopted as a political movement?

And what's interesting is that Muslim communities in Europe, despite being marginalized economically and educationally, tend to be among the most contented with their lives of any minority group, often more so than the general population. There's not a measurable level of discontentment with the society around them or with the lives they lead among Muslims in Europe compared to other groups. It simply isn't something that exists in the larger population.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. chri§§y

Boy i hear ya there! Plus people tend to not stay focused once they begin protesting! And wander off to all sorts of topics, mostly personal agendas. Which would not solve a damn thing!

February 25, 2015 at 9:45 pm | Reply
  2. chri§§y

@ banasy, Oh heres an example of that mis use of paid suspension! A female detroit police officer is off duty but takes her service revolver into a bar. Gets highly intoxicated...verbally abused everyone there and then follows the bartender into the bathroom and punches her in the neck. The cops are called and they give her the sobriety test of course and i think she blows a 1.4 anyway they lock her up overnite. And then she gets suspended WITH pay until court!!! W T F? An detroit has just gotten out of bankruptcy so this procedure needs to be revisited! So stupid IMHO!

February 25, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Watched the morning news and apparantly this *ahem* witch, has a history of this kind of performance! W T F? Fire her and be done already! Any other person wouldnt get away with this kind of performance! Damn! And ya know i have zero tolerance. Oh and i was wrong it was .14 which is bad enough.

February 26, 2015 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • banasy©

I'm surprised she was arrested at all. This kind of crap gets swept under the carpet all the time.

February 26, 2015 at 11:04 am | Reply
  4. chri§§y

@ banasy, To be honest me to! But this new mayor seems to be right on top of things and he aint puttin up with to many shenanigans. Oh lol i just thought of something...hooliganizism mustnt be allowed in Detroit anymore lmao!

February 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

You mean they won't let me back in ? Bummer.

February 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I find the word "hooliganism" to be extremely amusing. Just the word, mind you, before the resident post twister swoops down like a fat, bloated spider and changes the meaning of what I said, because he absolutely lacks reading comprehension.

February 27, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y

Lmao you are NOTa hooligan you are a jokester! Theres a difference. I dont think you would act like that cop did EVER! Lmao!

February 26, 2015 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  6. chri§§y

Lmao you are NOTa hooligan you are a joke st er! Theres a difference. I dont think you would act like that cop did EVER! Lmao!

February 26, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  7. chri§§y

Well dang! It didnt show up the first time so i re did it and now they are both here. Lol sorry about that!

February 26, 2015 at 10:01 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I'm glad that's bot a crime. If it were, I'd be doing life in Jackson State.

February 26, 2015 at 11:15 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

There are people who should be there, but aren't; I am immensely glad the ridiculous thought police haven't outlawed jokes yet.

Although if hypocrisy were a crime, the prisons would be overflowing.

Federal prisons, for example, would be filled with just Congress, alone.

February 27, 2015 at 1:59 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I know of an Old Driller/whatever else, that should do time for pure lunacy, as could be justified from his ramblings on the other story.

February 27, 2015 at 3:24 pm |
      • banasy©

He's never fabricated/heard of a conspiracy theory he didn't like.

Latest "truths" include Liverpool being named because the Illuminati/Freemasons have a good pool of children to kidnap for their organ harvesting, and that this has been going on for 3500 years. Yes, I wrote 35 hundred years.

This from the same guy who claimed NASA lacked the technology to land on the moon, so they faked it.

And who doesn't know what Rapid Deployment means, let alone what role a Rapid Deployment Vaccine plays. I'm not even going to touch on the magnetic levitation train he claimes is built underground between Langely, Virginia and Denver.

Not to mention confusing tapestries with murals, despite them being two completely different mediums.

This was all yesterday.

And we're the stupid ones?

Jesus wept.

February 27, 2015 at 3:46 pm |
      • banasy©

I must admit, he is hugely entertaining, although I am certain that's not the reaction he desires; he asked the board who is more believable: a part time "library helper", mother and grandmother, or a guy who has beat up two cops and managed to stay out of prison (as if that's a positive attribute) and other self-aggrandizing achievements nobody gives a rat's ass about.

Look, I'm not saying that being a clerk in a library is all that a md a slice of bread, (and I've never had complaints about the other two) but I wasn't aware there was even a pissing contest going on.

That he even went there in the first place is unbelievable, and I got a huge laugh out of it.

February 27, 2015 at 4:00 pm |
  8. Gazette Newspaper

Jesus wept BITTERLY says ancient manuscripts. Your bible is watered down.

February 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Reply

So is yours.

February 27, 2015 at 4:13 pm | Reply
      • Phil

No. I know that ASU found copyright marks on the rocks NASA had given them to digitally photograph. Rocks NASA said came from the moon and had no idea how those copyright marks got there.

February 27, 2015 at 4:21 pm |

This is a copyright. ©

This wasn't found on the rocks.

A vaguely shaped "C" was found on one of the photographs of one of the rocks. It was a hair on the lens of the camera.

Just stop.

February 27, 2015 at 4:33 pm |
      • Phil

All modern bibles have been tampered with. True.

February 27, 2015 at 5:32 pm |
      • banasy©

And you're changing the subject again. Twice in the same thread. Go for the trifecta.

February 27, 2015 at 5:41 pm |
  9. Gazette Newspaper

I never said NASA lacked the tech to go to the moon you liar. I know full well the capabilities of NAZI war criminal rocket scientists smuggled out of Germany and going to work at NASA.

February 27, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Uh huh so you know now that the moon landing happened. Excellent.

February 27, 2015 at 4:16 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

(And, yes you did. Do I actually have to go into the archives and prove that, also? That never turned out well for you. I told you, I don't lie. Your own words convict you, every time.)

February 27, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  10. Gazette Newspaper

A man was arrested today for using his beer belly as a weapon assaulting a bar employee. Of course what his gut really is is filled with undigested red meat.

February 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  11. Phil

You old ladies do know that you are gossiping. Right?

February 27, 2015 at 4:17 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I see. It's gossip when we repost stuff you've said, but it's perfectly all right for you to do it, right?

It's just fine to bring up BC's former job derisively when he's not around, or speculate on my job, my husband, my daughters, my granddaughter, my home life, what you think I look like, how much I weigh, etcetera etcetera, and that's not gossiping. Right.

So tell me, Philippa, do you have a point, old hag, or are you going to continue pointing out the flaws you think others have, but possess overwhelmingly yourself?

(We call that a hypocrite. Look that word up, too. You really are staggeringly lacking in self-awareness.)

February 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Gossiping is when two or more people get together and gab about someone else. Stop pretending like you didn't know what gossiping is.

February 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm |
      • banasy©

Stop pretending you don't do it.

Unless you'd like me to redefine what you do as "malicious lying and rumor-spreading."

February 27, 2015 at 5:22 pm |
    • Phil

Check that. Two old ladies and one joker gossiping. If you aren't sure wether what you were doing is gossiping or not, look it up in the dictionary or in your bible.

February 27, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

(What Philip is doing also, in other words.)

February 27, 2015 at 5:25 pm |
      • Phil

No, Philip is one. It takes two or more talking bad about someone in order for gossip to occur. Again. Stop pretending like you didn't know this already. You aren't quite *that* stupid.

February 27, 2015 at 5:31 pm |
      • banasy©

Ok. Malicious lying and rumor mongering it is, when you do it.

February 27, 2015 at 5:40 pm |
  12. Phil

You do not have enough evidence to convict me of any crime, Donna. All you have is hear say which is nothing in reality.

February 27, 2015 at 4:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I didn't accuse you of a crime. I am also using that term as "you said you didn't say this, here is the proof you did."

Kind of the Biblical usage, really.

Unless you'd care to admit that what you pist is nothing more than hearsay and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm down with that.

February 27, 2015 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  13. Phil

The Alder Hey organs scandal involved the unauthorised removal, retention, and disposal of human tissue, including children’s organs, during the period 1988 to 1995. During this period organs were retained in more than 2,000 pots [this is a UK term of art for plastic formalin-filled containers of various sizes which are used to store tissues in pathology labs] containing body parts from around 850 infants. These were later uncovered at Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Liverpool, during a public inquiry into the organ retention scandal.

February 27, 2015 at 5:27 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yes, I know; that's actually what I thought you were referring to when you brought up Liverpool in relation to the organ harvesting.

It is not, however, the reason Liverpool is named Liverpool, although a pun can be made.

February 27, 2015 at 5:38 pm | Reply
    • Phil

Only a fool would think this is an isolated case. And before forming and posting an opinion investigate further. And for many years. Not just one Google session, Dogma. Errr, Donna Banas(y)

February 27, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

I never said it was; you really have a problem with reading posts, don't you? I suppose you're in too big of a hurry to post ignorant little quips implying my lack of intelligence; what you should be concerned with is your lack of reading comprehension and misinterpreting what you finally manage to read.

(I read about the Alder Hay thing years ago. You are quite the silly git.)

February 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm |
  14. Phil

No. The soil around Liverpool is very rich and so for centuries Liverpul residents have enjoyed healthy diets and so have particularly healthy livers, their organs are to this very day more valuable on the black market than any others. And the Iluminati are real, Donna. Wether you want to believe it or not. Why wouldn't the richest men on earth choose Liverpool organs when they got old and needed transplants?

February 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • Phil

But Liverpool is so few and USA are so many missing children each year never seen or heard from ever again. 182,000 each year according to FBI crime stats

February 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I'm glad your little Google session panned out for you. Now you know why your absurd little "What? Why do you think Liverpool is named that? A fresh pool for the livers illegally harvested."

Please admit that you're backtracking, and that it naturally evolved from Liuerpul.

And do stop acting as if I'm the stupidest person you've ever met when I have corrected you on the origins of its name several times now.

February 27, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Reply
      • Phil

How Liverpool got it's name is exactly as I described and I've been studying it for decades as I have Freemason activities throughout history.
        Ancient Greek hand held surgical instruments look exactly like modern day ones. Illuminati have been transplanting organs for themselves for thousands of years.

February 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm |
      • banasy©

Nope. You have provided zero evidence that Liverpool got it's name from transplanted flipping livers. I gave you the origins; you chose to ignore it for a more sensational-sounding story.
        That's fine; I don't care.

I don't think you have any clue how intricate organ transplantation is. If you weren't so Doctor-shy, I'd refer you with a doctor who actually is one of the top organ transplant doctors in this country. There's a lot more involved than just slapping an organ into a cavity.

So, no. You're entire scenario is untenable.

February 27, 2015 at 6:20 pm |
    • Phil

Illuminati Freemasons reside underneath the world's federal reserve system headquarters in Basil Swirzerland. They have their own private military and enjoy the same land privileges that The Vatican does. International criminal indictments and orders of court have no say on that property, It's also the ugliest modern bank building on earth.

February 27, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Reply
    • Phil

Men like Alex Jones are allowed to blow their horns as long as mums the word on man made "UFOs". They only pretend to be exposing the Illuminati and are well paid men.

February 27, 2015 at 6:07 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Alex Jones is a paid shill and does not believe one quarter of the nonsense he spews. Conspiracy sells. He has gotten very wealthy pandering to the gullible.

February 27, 2015 at 7:15 pm |
    • banasy©

And I find that you connecting the rich soil of a region that was settled there because of its fertile soil with a horrible scandal was Alder Hay as indicative of organ harvesting for 3500 years to be extremely tenuous, at best.

You're reaching. Liverpool didn't get its name from organs, fat or otherwise. Your argument seems to be "Hey, it could happen!"

February 27, 2015 at 6:08 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Illuminati, Donna. Focus in the middle. Not around the edges of things I say. Thank you. Take issue with my main points. Vaccines kill kids and cause troops to kill themselves eventually. And the federal reserve has never been audited because Iliminati rank Freemasons run it. Not some president Obama.

February 27, 2015 at 6:14 pm |
      • banasy©

I am glad you want the re-emergence of rubella, polio, smallpox, and many other diseases that vaxes have eradicated, Jenny. Your kids first.
        Your loved ones first. Okay?

I'm pragmatic. You're not.

I believe in the provable.

You believe in the untenable.

You want to get rid of something that harms a few, (given with informed consent, look that up because I doubt you know what that means, either) and ignore the willfull danger of millions of lives at stake.

Ok.

Whatever.

The Illuminati doesn't exist.

If you do not want me to focus on what you say, stop posting. That us, after all, you saying something.

February 27, 2015 at 6:48 pm |
    • Phil

My Alder Hay comments were just to prove it's still going on.

February 27, 2015 at 6:16 pm | Reply
      • Phil

...still going on in Liverpool particularly. Organs of 850 harvested. And that was just at one children's hospital. Do not think this is an isolated case in any way. It goes on in many places. It's a miracle we ever found out about it at all. THATS how rich and powerful Iluminati are.

February 27, 2015 at 6:24 pm |
      • banasy©

Um, no, it proves that it went on from 1988-1995. That is all it proves.

February 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm |
  15. Phil

Look it Donna afraid to talk about Iluminati and why the fact that 182,000 American children go missing each year and are never seen again is NEVER reported on by major media. What you get is that horse head Nancy Grace making 50 kids in 50 days out to be spectacular. 182K is spectacular.

February 27, 2015 at 6:36 pm | Reply

Illuminati doesn't exist.

Where those poor children go is up for speculation; they are just as likely to be swooped up by little aliens as they are being swooped up by the illuminati.

Reports are posted yearly. Stats are posted yearly. Things are also reported on the news; if you don't watch television, you'd hardly know what's being reported, would you?

February 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  16. Phil

Ancient Greek hand held surgical instruments are identical to modern day ones.

February 27, 2015 at 6:38 pm | Reply
    • Phil

Greek physicians learned from Egyptian ones who had been removing organs for centuries already!

February 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

The ancient Egyptians removed the organs for burial purposes, not for live organ transplantation.

You really do not comprehend how very intricate and complicated organ transplantation is.

You have come up with a theory about missing children, (and that many missing children is horrifying) and you are trying to manufacture facts not in evidence to support that theory....

You may, someday, be able to write a decent fictional novel, á la Dan Brown, but what you are positing is in no way supported by history or fact.

February 27, 2015 at 7:10 pm |
    • banasy©

I don’t think you have any clue how intricate organ transplantation is. If you weren’t so Doctor-shy, I’d refer you with a doctor who actually is one of the top organ transplant doctors in this country. There’s a lot more involved than just slapping an organ into a cavity.

So, no. You’re entire scenario is untenable.

February 27, 2015 at 6:41 pm | Reply
  17. Phil

The true founders of modern medicine were ancient Egyptians not Greeks. Greeks gave you democracy and the worlds first openly gay society. And of course advanced Egyptian pharmakia,

February 27, 2015 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  18. Phil

It's not my scenario. It's recorded history.

February 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Organ transplant is not 3500 years old. That's your scenario, and not supported by any type of recorded history. It simply did not exist.

February 27, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Reply
  19. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat i am totally with you on your 3:24 post! Remember how peaceful it was? And now see how ridiculous its become! Theres some village out there...maybe missing him terribly lol.

February 27, 2015 at 9:49 pm | Reply
  20. banasy©

RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

You lived long, and prospered.

February 27, 2015 at 10:59 pm | Reply
  21. banasy©

Shut this stupid blog down for comments, already. The first blog is nothing but 120 plus pages of gross bigotry and racism. Nice legacy for your archives.

March 7, 2015 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  22. bobcat2u

A young waiter just had his first customer, which turned out to be a BIG BURLY truck driver.

The young man walked up to the table where the truck driver was sitting and asked; "Can I take your order sir?"

The truck driver replied, "Sure kid, I want three flat tires and two headlights."

The young man was very puzzled and said, "I beg your pardon?"

The truck driver said again, "Look kid; I want three flat tires and two headlights."

The young man was still puzzled, but replied; "Yes sir, whatever."

The young man then took the request to his boss who was the head cook.

He told him about the truck driver's order, and that he wanted three flat tires and two headlights, “I think he's in the wrong place.”

The head cook said, "I know what he wants, he wants three flap jacks and two eggs sunny side up; the truck driver is just trying to be smart, I know him."

The cook said to the waiter "Here, take this bowl of beans, give it to him and say this."

The truck driver said, "Listen kid, I didn't order this; I said I wanted three flat tires and two headlights."

The waiter replied, "Well sir, the head cook said while you wait for your parts, you can gas up!"

March 8, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  23. chri§§y

Lmao @ bobcat...one more for the road eh? And @ banasy...maybe their waiting so they can publish all of hillarys private email huh? Aint that the lamest freakin thing youve ever heard! This aint the land of the free no more!

March 9, 2015 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • banasy©

The flipping stupid thing is that there is blatant evidence of mental illness and threats of violence on this stupid blog, and they focus on asinine things that are hyper partisan clickbait BS.
      Assholes who are few to invade our lives with no repercussion because familial fortunes and playoffs.
      And we're nobodies. I guess that's why we don't matter.

I'm pretty fed up with it all.

March 9, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

*who are free to invade our lives.

March 9, 2015 at 6:59 pm |
  24. chri§§y

I totally agree! And why do they feel that we would even care to read her private email.

March 9, 2015 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  25. chri§§y

Ive been chatting alot lately with ppl in Europe and we really are considered a joke of a country! And not because of Obama as congress tries to imply!

March 9, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Because Americans are even fatter and stupider than Europeans is why. Not just because Congress is do crooked. Get a clue.

March 14, 2015 at 10:32 am | Reply
      • Leticia

Shut up you stupid zealot. Nobody cares about your pet Islamic sympathies. Fuck off oinker.

March 17, 2015 at 6:09 pm |
  26. chrissy

Rotflmao!

March 17, 2015 at 9:10 pm | Reply
    • Leticia

He sounds racist as hell.....dumb hick. "Get a clue" is the rebel yell of the terminally stupid!!

March 17, 2015 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  27. chrissy

Lol funny cuz weve been telling him that very same thing for years! But in all fairness he really hates women more than any particular race! Lmao!

March 17, 2015 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  28. chrissy

Oh and then next of course is humans...lol.

March 17, 2015 at 9:49 pm | Reply
  29. bobcat2u

A married couple rushed to the hospital because the woman was in labor the doctor asked the couple, "I have invented a new machine that you might want to try, it takes some of the labor pains away from the mother and gives it to the father."

So the married couple decided that they would try this. The doctor hooked the machine up and put it on 10% of pain switched from the mother to the father and the husband said "I feel okay turn it up a lot more."

So the doctor turned it up to 50% and the husband said "Why don't you just put it all on me cause I'm not feeling a thing."

The doctor warned them, "This much could kill you if your not prepared," and the husband replied "I'm ready."

So the doctor turned the machine up to 100% but the husband didn't fell a thing so they went home happy with a pain free labor.

When they got home the mailman was dead on the front porch!

March 23, 2015 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  30. bobcat2u

For a couple years I've been blaming it on lack of sleep and too much pressure from my job, but now I found out the real reason: I'm tired because I'm overworked.

The population of this country is 237 million. 104 million are retired. That leaves 133 million to do the work.

There are 85 million in school, which leaves 48 million to do the work.

Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government, leaving 19 million to do the work.

2.8 million are in the Armed Forces, which leaves 16.2 million to do the work.

Take from the total the 14,800,000 people who work for State and City Governments and that leaves 1.4 million to do the work.

At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals, leaving 1,212,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons. That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me.

And you're sitting at your computer reading jokes.

March 24, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Reply