January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,712 Responses)
  1. Philip

Awe. That's nice to know?

January 30, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

It's nice to know you lost credibility due to being outed for your multiple lies?

Oh, ok.

Also, I said "pffft", which I have posted many times over the years. I have yet to see you post "pft", up until yesterday. Truth be told, pft looks like an acronym for something, anyhow...

My goodness, you really are arrogant to think that you are the harbinger of free expression, aren't you?

"Mockingladies", pffft. We mock you, all right, but not in any emulative way.

January 31, 2015 at 10:11 am | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy...its just too bad those same parents dont do something to make sure their "bad seed" doesnt get the proper help when theyre young when help has a possibility of actually working!

February 1, 2015 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • banasy©

It's quite easy to blame one's parents for their own screw-ups...decades later.

It's actually the go-to defense for failing to take responsibility for their own actions. And it's dumb as hell.

February 1, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Reply
      • Philip

I reported to the police crimes against children my own extended family committed. Did you, Donna? Or did you fail to report and so became a sharer in their crimes?

February 1, 2015 at 3:29 pm |
      • banasy©

How many bloody times do I have to tell you that my family (extended or otherwise) has never molested anyone?

How many times do I have to tell you that my rapist is in jail?

Stop being a jerk, Philip.

You are a MUCH bigger enabler than I could EVER be. Understand?

February 1, 2015 at 3:37 pm |
  3. Rita Torres

I got up early to watch GPS like I do every Sunday and I did watch it til you mentioned a whole hour with obama. That's when I turned you off and watched Sunday Morning Futures Unbearalble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yukon

February 1, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  4. Philip

Hi Donna. Am here.

February 1, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Ok, I would like you to read and retain my 3:37 post, and never being up this topic again, Philip. Because I am saving this to remind you of it the next time you being this up as if you "forgot."

February 1, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y

Ok @ banasy, im dumb as hell then! But i STILL firmly believe that when a parent sees there is a distinct problem with their CHILD it is their obligation as a parent to get that child help!!!

February 1, 2015 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Not what I meant at all, Chrissy.
      Do not know why you interpreted that way, and for what it's worth, I agree with you.

February 1, 2015 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Big monsters make little monsters. Don't you know, Chrissy?

February 1, 2015 at 3:40 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

You're admitting you are a monster, then, Philip?

February 1, 2015 at 3:43 pm |
  6. Philip

You were raiped, Donna.

February 1, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Who raped me, Philip? You seem to think you know; I know who did it; do you?

February 1, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  7. chri§§y

And @ philip WHY must you ALWAYS start out your conversations by verbally attacking @ banasy??? It is extremely tedious and a total turn off! DAMN! Get over it already!

February 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Thank you; he actually said that the 9th Commandment somehow didn't apply to him by saying that it was for court purposes, only.

Talk about re-writing the Bible to enable lying.

February 1, 2015 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y

Ya know what else is excruciatingly disgusting? Your constant bringing up others rather painful memories of their raype experience! WHY MUST YOU DO THAT?? For one thing it is NONE of your business and for another it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread! KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY! Most times i like you philip but this habit of yours is rather disgusting to say the least!

February 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  9. Philip

Your very own mom and dad FAILED to keep God's commandment to teach you every single word in The Bible. And for your part you and your hubby did not daily teach your son or your daughters God's word as commanded.
    My parents too were hedonists. Lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God. And is why I left home when I was 15 years old.
    For my part I began studying the bible with my Leah when she was still in the womb. And continued to do so even after her mother took her from me. I am clean in God's eyes in respect to teaching my own child about the true God Jehovah. Whose personal name appears over 7000 times in old bibles, omitted from newer ones.
    Even the two youngsters in Africa I help support are required by me to regularly attend "The Roper Family Bible Study" on Facebook. Both know God's word better than Bush or Obama ever did.

February 1, 2015 at 3:54 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You parents failings have nothing to do with mine; conflating your past with anyone else's is a singularly stupid thing to do.

Sorry for your past, but it has nothing to do with mine, and pretending it does is, quite simply, disingenuous.

Oh, and you do not know how my hubby and I teach our children, so, quite simply, shut up.

Isn't it true that here to judge the level of Christian here, and to make ignorant, snotty, asinine comments towards those that don't goosestep to your particular idea of Christianity

Do stop speculating on others you do not know. It's dumb.

February 1, 2015 at 4:07 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Isn’t it true that you are here [...]

February 1, 2015 at 4:13 pm |
  10. chri§§y

Lol i very SERIOUSLY doubt KNOW EVERY single word in the bible philip! You have a hard enough time remembering every word in someone elses post! Stop throwing stones because your house is about to shatter! And stop acting as if youre better than everyone else because trust me you are not!

February 1, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

If he didn't know what the Song of Solomon was, no.

February 1, 2015 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  11. Philip

Of course I was a monster, Donna. My patents failed to teach me about the true God. They were lovers of pleasure. Not lovers of God. And so I did terrible things. Just as Robin Williams admitted to before killing himself in dramatic fashion.

February 1, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Reply

I didn't say was.

February 1, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.”

Matthew 6:1

February 1, 2015 at 4:23 pm | Reply
  12. Philip

I watched congressman Alan Keyed take out his bible and beat Barack Obama with it on nationwide TV. President Obama is as ignorant of Scripture as the Banas family is am sure.

February 1, 2015 at 4:23 pm | Reply
    • Philip

*Keyes. Stupid auto "correct" anyhow.

February 1, 2015 at 4:25 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

As you do not know the Banas family, and as you have shown yourself to be ignorant of the Bible, this post is pretty much a non-sequiter.

February 1, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  13. Philip

I am not practicing righteousness. Am dispensing truth. You parents recommending condoms to your own children are all going to die by the sword of Jesus Christ. So say's The Word.

February 1, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Speak to what you know; not what you imagine and hallucinate.

February 1, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  14. Philip

You parents who FAILED to DAILY instruct your children along God's way are all going to be executed.

February 1, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  15. Philip

Children instructed by loving parents have no need for condoms or dark makeup. Duh.

February 1, 2015 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  16. Philip

Jesus said to love and pray for your enemies. And so why do you cheer for US troops carpet bombing them, Donna?

February 1, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Post my exact post where I've said this, and stop changing the subject, liar.

February 1, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  17. Philip

I have seen pics of your family on FB, Donna. Your daughters are in fact butt ugly and wear dark makeup. And no doubt carry condoms wherever they go, just as momma Donna recommends.

February 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

If I saw a picture if you taken years ago in a cowboy costume, would I think you looked like that today?

Of course not.

Do I insult your children with lies about them because I'm losing an argument with you?

Of course not. I don't lose arguments with you.

February 1, 2015 at 4:41 pm | Reply
      • Philip

I didn't lie. Your daughters are in fact butt ugly. And your son died without knowing every word in the bible. Because you failed to teach him.

February 1, 2015 at 4:44 pm |

Nope, and nope.

I find it vastly amusing that you would even think you know what my sob did or didn't know, given that until yesterday, you forgot all about his existence.

But then, we're used to you attacking the family of people because you are mad at the poster you're speaking to.

Cowardly, but we're used to that, also.

“If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.”

James 1:26

February 1, 2015 at 4:57 pm |

What my *son

February 1, 2015 at 7:35 pm |
  18. banasy©

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.

Proverbs 12:1 NIV

I like this; remind anybody of someone who hates being corrected?

February 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  19. chri§§y

See? Now THERE is that very UNLIKABLE character called philip! Does acting like an ass make you feel better? Or does just trying to make everyone else feel like sh!t make you feel better? Which is it? Because you are quite well at both and neither one of those things are worth bragging about!!!! Honestly! If i had you for a role model i would drown myself!

February 1, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  20. Philip

You think Jesus is God's name, Donna. A lie.

February 1, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Post where I've said that.

February 1, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  21. Philip

Jesus is the name of God's only son. The rest of us are sons and daughters of Adam and Eve. You can tell who Eve's daughters are. They are the ones with snakes that need batteries to vibrate. Eve's snake was before electricity was invented.

February 1, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Chapter and verse where Eve fucked a snake.

Truthful lips endure for ever,
      but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
      Proverbs 12:19

February 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  22. Philip

So. Donna Banas doesn't support US troops after all. Amazing.

February 1, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Reply

Post where I said that.

February 1, 2015 at 4:46 pm | Reply
      • Philip

Do you or do you not support US troops in violation of God's word, Donna.

February 1, 2015 at 4:51 pm |
  23. Philip

You should feel like shat if you failed to teach your children every word in the bible.

February 1, 2015 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  24. chri§§y

PHILIP WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!!! YOU ARE ONLY SU CCEEDING IN MAKING YOURSELF LOOK LIKE THE MOST HATEFUL PERSON ON THE PLANET! And i am being as honest as i can possibly be! You are endearing yourself to no one least of all your daughter or your surrogate kids. If they should ever read this filth i guarantee you they will be horrified and will most likely dis own you!

February 1, 2015 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  25. Philip

President Obama, a professed Christian, is in fact a closet Muslim and can recite passages in the Koran blind folded and in near-perfect Arabic dialect. And is totally ignorant of the bible.
    Care to debate?

February 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  26. Philip

President Obama's parents also failed at teaching him God's word. THAT is shameful. Not me.

February 1, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  27. Philip

Hardly any American youth can even tell you how many books are in the bible, what with their own parents being ignorant and failing to teach them.

February 1, 2015 at 4:52 pm | Reply
  28. Philip

...and now the old hag resorts to cussing. Omg you are one butt ugly woman, Donna Banas.

February 1, 2015 at 4:53 pm | Reply
    • Philip

toodles

February 1, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Think you can keep a promise this time? I realize you cannot stand losing yet another exchange between us, but c'mon now. Keep you word for once.

February 1, 2015 at 5:10 pm |
    • banasy©

I asked you a specific question, because you repeatedly insinuated that is what Eve did.

Quit clutching your pearls and answer.

I'm not ugly; your insinuations are.

But go ahead and run away; we're used to that, too.

February 1, 2015 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  29. chri§§y

And on top of all that you couldnt be more wrong if you tried! Banasys daughters are quite beautiful in fact as is her grandaughter! So maybe they should look like farm animals for you to think theyre cute??? That says alot about you NOT THEM!

February 1, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Well, when I saw their pictures on Facebook they were both fat and ugly and wearing dark makeup. And never spoke of God either. Not in public, anyway. Maybe the Banas family whispers God's word to themselves?

February 1, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

See, this is how I know you didn't see them, Philip.

You didn't describe them at ALL.

You can't.

Because you've never seen them.

Chrissy has.

You are, and remain, a liar.

February 1, 2015 at 5:07 pm |
      • Philip

No. I saw your two little porkers on FB when you where there. They are both fat and ugly and wear dark makeup. You might recall my chastising you for not mentioning you had a husband on FB. And trying to defend it by saying that it's not uncommon that American women omit their being married on FB pages. Which is true. But still no kind of defense for such ignorant display.

February 1, 2015 at 7:34 pm |

Describe them.

What color hair do they have?

How much older is one than the other?

How tall are they?

What are their names?

What were they wearing?

"They're gay and ugly" is how you describe everyone who isn't you.

Describe my son, who was also featured in the FB pages you stalked.

You may recall that I told you about 9,263 times that my husband asked me not to feature on FB.

Of course you don't remember. You don't remember the nonsense you spewed *yesterday*.

You ignore that, preferring to act outraged that I honor my husband's wishes.

Because you want to believe that everybody views the world in the same perverted way you do.

You are, and remain, a liar. You even went so dmfar as to say the 9th Commandment doesn't apply to you, since you were not in court.

As if God have those laws for man's court.

You know who doesn't like ugly? God.

Repent.

February 1, 2015 at 7:45 pm |
  30. Philip

Oh. You thought that snake just talked to Eve? LMAO. Really?

February 1, 2015 at 4:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

OH! The story changes yet again!

Gee. Did not see THAT coming at all. /s

February 1, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Reply
      • Philip

The bible account of Eve being "thoroughly" deceived has not changed in over 7000 years. (About how long humans have been around). You are the nut case here, Donna. Not the words of the Bible. Got that?

February 1, 2015 at 7:29 pm |

Chapter and verse.

Decieved does not mean have sex.

You are wrong.

You know nothing.

Got that?

Get a clue. You pervert The Word, you don not abide by it.

February 1, 2015 at 7:48 pm |

thor·ough·ly
        ˈTHərəlē,ˈTHərōlē/
        adverb
        in a thorough manner.

very much; greatly.
        "I thoroughly enjoyed the day"

de·ceive
        dəˈsēv/
        verb
        past tense: deceived; past participle: deceived
        (of a person) cause (someone) to believe something that is not true, typically in order to gain some personal advantage.

Where does having sex with a snake even enter into these definitions?

Stop reaching. You'll fall.

February 1, 2015 at 7:59 pm |