January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,717 Responses)
  1. chri§§y

I could give a rats ass what he has to say about me anymore! Hes a swine and every one knows already.

February 4, 2015 at 5:53 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

He didn't say it about you.

I just thought it was hilarious as hell, him pontificating about lurkers when that's precisely what he does.

I posted it for a joke. It fell short. Ok.

February 4, 2015 at 6:34 pm | Reply
  2. chri§§y

I was referring to his previous posts.

February 4, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

And youre right...pretty funny for HIM to post that foolishness since it is precisely how HE operates! Again always the hypocrit.

February 4, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

And of course my 1st post to him the ugly part was for his benefit!

February 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y

@ banasy My particular favorite is his statement that men are not responsible for their own actions. The steps they take are decided by God! What a load of crap that is! But thats what he posted on that other blog i told you about!

February 5, 2015 at 6:34 am | Reply
    • banasy©

No way...so he's saying he believes everything is preordained?

The boy needs an epiphany.

But but then anything to excuse his behavior. Even using God to do it.

February 5, 2015 at 10:51 am | Reply

I just read it.

He just disavowed free will.

Which is, oh, a huge part of Christianity.

As if he's just a automaton with no choice in what he does. Nonsense.

There is yet another word that describes what he does, besides the obvious "hypocrite".

Unregenerate.

February 5, 2015 at 11:34 am | Reply
  6. tydonnasaurus rex©

Ahem. Roar.

February 5, 2015 at 7:25 am | Reply
  7. Chrissy the Vampire Slayer

I think I got him!

February 5, 2015 at 7:28 am | Reply
    • Banashlock Holmes

Might I suggest sharpening one end of your rolling pin.

February 5, 2015 at 7:37 am | Reply
      • banasy©

If I were going to suggest anything using a sharpened rolling pin, it would be for you to perch on it.

That's what Vlad would have done, vampires being patterned after him, and all.

February 5, 2015 at 1:29 pm |
  8. chri§§y

Lol philip...i dont believe a rolling pin needs to be sharpened to do great bodily harm! Ever been hit with one?

February 5, 2015 at 9:12 am | Reply
    • banasy©

I think he's having Irish Coffee for breakfast, myself.

He's still a bit miffed because he had to look up a word with multiple syllables, and he stilled used the word wrong, even after posting the definition.

But then we've known he's mad for a while.

February 5, 2015 at 10:55 am | Reply
      • banasy©

For instance, when I told him God knows what he's doing, and will judge him harshly, he told me God is omniscient, not all knowing. In an attempt to pretend he knows what he's talking about.

You know what omniscient means. Yep. All-knowing.

February 5, 2015 at 11:04 am |

*still used

February 5, 2015 at 11:37 am |
      • bobcat2u

Did he really say that ? Whoa !!

February 5, 2015 at 12:28 pm |
      • banasy©

Yes, BC, he did. This is why one cannot take anything he says seriously, because he's seriously ignorant.

February 5, 2015 at 1:31 pm |
  9. bobcat2u

The psychiatrist snickered
    And he told me a joke.
    Little did I know,
    This one would make me choke.

It explained every problem
    I had ever come across,
    Every emotion ever felt,
    Every suppressed desire
    And every loss.

I found myself smiling,
    Smiling to snickering,
    Snickering to laughing out loud,
    My eyes bold and proud.

Then from laughing
    To snickering,
    Snickering to smiling,
    My eyes flickering.
    Smiling to laughing,
    Laughing to weeping,
    Weeping to crying,
    Crying to bawling,
    Tragic and wild.
    Then I realised
    I was really just laughing
    At my epiphany
    With an upside-down smile.

K. Jared Hosein

February 5, 2015 at 11:34 am | Reply
    • banasy©

It is about time you got here, my friend.

Well done, btw.

February 5, 2015 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

I apologize for my absence, but thing things have been like a Shakespearean drama. Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, banasy; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

But that reminds of a joke :

His argument – "I get up in the morning...I shower...I look in the mirror...try to straighten my hair, then I miss the taxi, then I'm late."

His boss has a bright idea. He gets one of Akpos' colleague to sneak into his room & steal the Mirror off the wall without Akpos' knowledge. The following day, Akpos did not turn up for work. The same happened the day after that. Akpos was summoned to another hearing to explain his reasons for not attending work.

His argument – "I get up in the morning...I shower...I look in the Mirror...See no Akpos...I think Akpos has already left for work.

February 5, 2015 at 11:56 am |

D'oh!!

I hope things have calmed down for you. You absence is always noticed.

February 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Ahhhh !!! I've just been hitting a bunch of detours lately, and been having to take the slower rural routes. But I think I've hit the road back to the interstate, so things should be hitting the passing lane before long.

February 5, 2015 at 12:16 pm |
      • banasy©

In the words of the wise sage Rawr, "this, too, shall pass."

February 5, 2015 at 12:31 pm |
      • bobcat2u

That's why I like to ride in the fast lane.

February 5, 2015 at 12:36 pm |

"I can't drive....55!!"

February 5, 2015 at 3:51 pm |
  10. bobcat2u

Just wondering :

If God is omniscient, would it make sense to crack a joke on him?

February 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

According to some, God doesn't have a sense of humor, which makes no sense to me; if He is omniscient, He knows whether the intent of a joke is to mock or not.

God has a sense of humor. Didn't he make us?

A more likely explanation is that the person who professes to understand every written word of the Bible doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

February 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  11. bobcat2u

And chrissy, how the heck are you doing now ? Have you shackled, gagged and bagged anyone yet ?

February 5, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Lmao @ banasy ikr? Why then are we wasting all this money on all these prisons? And why those FEMA work camps?

February 5, 2015 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  13. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat...thankfully i didnt have to. His sister took care of that issue for me and a damn fine job she did too. With alot of help from his father lmao!

February 5, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

What about the other issue ? What has doc had to say ?

February 5, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

You know, God has to like a good joke. Many things in nature show us, like the Duck billed platypus for example. And since we are all made in his image, he have injected me with a heavy dose of the humor gene. Dang, talk about an EPIPHANY !

February 5, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Reply

He must have.

February 5, 2015 at 1:28 pm |
      • banasy©

That duck-billed platypus is proof God has a sense of humor, if you ask me...

February 5, 2015 at 1:33 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I think he may have had a touch of instigator in him too. I mean, look at the zebra. People argue over whether it's black on white or vice versa.

February 5, 2015 at 1:45 pm |
      • banasy©

Lol. I know, right? The answer is plain; the zebra is both.

Now stop fighting, children.

February 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm |
  14. chri§§y

My appointment is on the 24th at 11am. Meanwhile im just taking it easy and sleepin alot.

February 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Please allow me to as sist with your west and wewaxation.

Breathe In. Breathe Out. Repeat three times. Enhance the Calm. Ahhhhh !!! Now doesn't that feel better ?

February 5, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y

Lol you had me at west and wewaxation! Lmao!

February 5, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Reply
  16. bobcat2u

The seven dwarves are in Rome and they go on a tour of the city. After a while they go to the Vatican and meet the Pope. Grumpy, for once, seems to have a lot to say. He keeps asking the Pontiff questions about the church and, in particular, the nuns. "Your Holiness, do you have any really short nuns?" Grumpy asks.

"No, my son, all of our nuns are at least five feet tall," smiles the Pope.

"Are you sure? I mean, you wouldn't have any nuns that are, say, about my height? Maybe a little shorter?"

"I'm afraid not. Why do you ask?"

"No reason," replies Grumpy. "But you're positive? Nobody in a habit that's about three feet tall, maybe two-and-a-half feet tall?"

"I'm sure, my vertically-challenged son," says the Pope, trying not show his curiosity.

"Okay," moans Grumpy.

So the Pope listens to the dwarves as they leave the building. "What'd he say? What'd he say?" chant the other six dwarves.

Grumpy mutters, "He said they don't have any."

And the other six start chanting, "Grumpy screwed a penguin! Grumpy screwed a penguin!"

February 5, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I did not see that coming.

February 5, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  17. banasy©

A humorous look at prospective employers looking at online history (because it's a thing that totally exists, despite some stupid people not believing it)

And, yeah, college humor is one of the best comedy sites out there, despite my not being in college. Humor transcends age, unless one is bereft of humor in the first place. So save the gratuitous snarky comment, asshat.

February 5, 2015 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I couldn't imagine a world or life without humor.

February 5, 2015 at 3:02 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Neither could I. Who wants to be a sour, bitter person all the time?

February 5, 2015 at 3:29 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Was that question rhetorical ? Cause I sure have someone in mind.

February 5, 2015 at 4:06 pm |

Yes...and no.

February 5, 2015 at 4:28 pm |
  18. bobcat2u

Where do the characters go when I use my backspace or delete them on my PC?
    ANSWER: The characters go to different places, depending on whom you ask:

The Buddhist explanation: If a character has lived rightly, and its karma is good, then after it has been deleted it will be reincarnated as a different, higher character. Those funny characters above the numbers on your keyboard will become numbers, numbers will become letters, and lower-case letters will become upper-case.

The 20th-century bitter cynical nihilist explanation: Who cares? It doesn't really matter if they're on the page, deleted, undeleted, underlined, etc. It's all the same.

The Mac user's explanation: All the characters written on a PC and then deleted go to straight to PC hell. If you're using a PC, you can probably see the deleted characters, because you're in PC hell also.

Stephen King's explanation: Every time you hit the (Del) key you unleash a tiny monster inside the cursor, who tears the poor, unsuspecting characters to shreds, drinks their blood, then eats them, bones and all. Bwah, hah, hah!

The Christian Church's approach to characters: The nice characters go to Heaven, where they are bathed in the light of happiness. The naughty characters are punished for their sins. Naughty characters are those involved in the creation of naughty words, such as "breast," "s ex," and contraception."

Dave Barry's explanation: The deleted characters are shipped to Battle Creek, Michigan, where they're made into Pop-Tart filling; this explains why Pop-Tarts are so flammable, while cheap imitations are not flammable. I'm not making this up.

IBM's explanation: The characters are not real. They exist only on the screen when they are needed, as concepts, so to delete them is merely to de-conceptualize them. Get a life.

PETA's (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) explanation: You've been DELETING them??? Can't you hear them SCREAMING??? Why don't you go CLUB some BABY SEALS while wearing a MINK, you pig!!!!

February 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

PETA kills animals all the time. They're hypocrites.

February 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

And you know banasy, it also makes one wonder how they feel about the treatment of these animals, by other animals ? Do they feel the same outrage when other than human animals commit atrocities against those cute, and not so cute, creatures ?

February 5, 2015 at 5:03 pm |
      • banasy©

PETA has no problems euthanizing cute little kittens, puppies, or bunnies...I have to think they would totally be down with other animals tearing them apart, even as they act outraged when the human factor is behind the willful tearing apart. (As in dog fighting, for instance.)

Mouthy little hypocrites.

February 5, 2015 at 8:58 pm |
      • Philip

A giant timber rattlesnake swallowed a bunch of our bunnies once. My grampa killed it and strung it up on granny's clothes line. Then slit the snake open and out hopped the bunnies! I was like 4 or 5 years old and thought my Grampa was a god.

February 6, 2015 at 10:04 am |
      • banasy©

How fortunate for the bunnies that your grandpa saw that snake eat those bunnies. I am glad he rescued your pets.

February 6, 2015 at 10:49 am |
    • bobcat2u

P.E.T.A. Sounds like a good cookout.
      Pork
      Elk Roast
      Turkey
      Alligator Tail

February 5, 2015 at 4:55 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Hmmm...well, they have the capabilities, lol. As long as no many seals or minks are involved.

February 5, 2015 at 4:59 pm |
  19. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat we all KNOW who wants to be that way all the time now dont we.

February 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  20. Philip

God made Adam in His own image. God did not make fat Adam here in His own image. Fat Adam did that.
    And God told exactly zero jokes about anything ever FYI.

February 6, 2015 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • banasy©

You speculate; we speculate.

Why does God have a penis?

February 6, 2015 at 10:38 am | Reply
  21. Philip

Children are being raiped even by gay priests. Thousands kidnapped each year. Who gives a ratz ass about your stinking house cat howling in heat.

February 6, 2015 at 9:26 am | Reply
    • banasy©

That cat in your alley must still be keeping you awake for your brain to pull such an abrupt switch in topic; nobody mentioned personal pets at all.

Hope you get some sleep soon.

February 6, 2015 at 10:44 am | Reply
  22. Philip

Even American's house pets are getting fatter.

February 6, 2015 at 10:50 am | Reply
  23. bobcat2u

It was a sunny Saturday morning on the course, and I was beginning my pre-shot routine on #1, visualizing my upcoming shot, when a voice came over the clubhouse loudspeaker.

“Would the gentleman on the Ladies Tee back up to the Men’s Tee, please!!”

I was still deep in my routine, seemingly impervious to the interruption. Again the announcement–”Would the MAN on the WOMEN’S Tee kindly back up to the Men’s Tee.”

I finally stopped, turned, looked through the clubhouse window directly at the person with the mike and shouted back, “Would the person in the clubhouse kindly shut up and let me play my second shot?!”

February 6, 2015 at 11:55 am | Reply
  24. bobcat2u

Little Johnny had become a real nuisance while his father tried to concentrate on his Saturday afternoon poker game with friends and relatives. The father tried every way possible to get Johnny to occupy himself… television, ice cream, homework, video games… but the youngster insisted on running back and forth behind the players and calling out the cards they held.

The other players became so annoyed that they threatened to quit the game and all go home. At this point, the boy’s uncle stood up, took Johnny by the hand, and led him out of the room.

The uncle soon returned back to the poker table without Johnny and without comment, the game resumed. For the rest of the afternoon, little Johnny was nowhere to be seen and the card players continued without any further interruptions.

After the poker game ended, the father asked Johnny’s uncle, “What in the world did you do to Johnny? I haven’t heard a peep from him all day!”

“Not much,” the boy’s uncle replied. “I just showed him how to je rk off.”

February 6, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Reply

Nope.

February 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Reply

Sorry

February 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm |
      • banasy©

I know what you're up to, young man. Lmfao

February 6, 2015 at 12:34 pm |

Shhhhhh !!!

February 6, 2015 at 12:45 pm |
  25. bobcat2u

The inmate on death row was scheduled to be put to death by firing squad the follow morning.

Throughout the day, the prison guards were being very nice to him.

But when they asked him if he wanted something specific for his last meal, he didn’t want anything special.

When they asked if there was something special he wanted to do, he said nothing.

Finally when he was put before the firing squad, the guard asked if he wanted a cigarette and a blindfold.

“No,” the inmate said, “just get it over with.”

“Well, is there anything that I can do for you before you go?” said the guard.

The inmate thought. “Actually,” he said, “Music is my life. One thing I would really like, is to sing my favorite song, the whole thing, with no interruptions.”

The guard nodded and told him to go ahead.

The inmate started, “One billion bottles of beer on the wall…”

February 6, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

After the tenth round of that nonsense, I'd be willing to shoot the man myself.

February 6, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  26. bobcat2u

I was recently driving all night to get to a far-away destination. By morning I still had some distance to travel, but was getting very tired. I decided to stop at the next city I came to and park somewhere quiet to catch an hour or two of sleep.

Unfortunately, the quiet place I chose happened to be one of the city's major jogging routes. No sooner had I settled back to snooze when there was a knock on my window. Upon looking out I saw a jogger running in place, eager to ask me a question.

"Yes?"

"Excuse me, sir," the jogger said, "do you have the time?"

I looked at the car clock and answered, "8:15." The jogger said thanks and left.

I settled back again, and was just dozing off when there was another knock on the window... and another jogger.

"Excuse me, sir, do you have the time?"

"8:25," I answered as nicely as I could, but I was getting frustrated. The jogger said thanks and left.

Now I could see other joggers passing by and I knew it was only a matter of time before another disturbed my much needed rest. To avoid the problem, I got out a pen and paper and put a sign in my window that read, "I do not know the time."

I had just fallen back to sleep when there was another knock on the window.

"Sir, sir? It's 8:45!"

February 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  27. chri§§y

Still reading the old archives from TJI...some funny stuff back then! Lol dont ya miss the good old days? People were so much nicer then too.

February 6, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  28. bobcat2u

A Roman walks into a bar

Holds up two fingers and says five beers please

February 7, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  29. chri§§y

Lol see @ bobcat....that peace sign has worked forever! Except on here of course lmao.

February 7, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Reply