January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,712 Responses)
  1. bobcat2u

A woman was walking along the beach when she stumbled upon a Genie's lamp. She picked it up and rubbed it, and lo-and-behold a Genie appeared. The amazed woman asked if she was going to receive the usual three wishes.

The Genie said, "Nope ... due to inflation, constant downsizing, low wages in third-world countries, and fierce global compet ition, I can only grant you one wish. So ... what will it be?"

The woman didn't hesitate. She said, "I want peace in the Middle East. See this map? I want these countries to stop fighting with each other."

The Genie looked at the map and exclaimed, "Gadzooks, lady! These countries have been at war for thousands of years. I'm good, but not THAT good! I don't think it can be done. Make another wish."

The woman thought for a minute and said, "Well, I've never been able to find the right man. You know, one that's considerate and fun, likes to cook and helps with the housecleaning, who also gets along with my family, doesn't watch sports all the time, and is faithful. That's what I wish for ... a great mate."

The Genie let out a long sigh and said, "Let me see that stinking map lady!"

February 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  2. bobcat2u

A woman was walking along the beach when she stumbled upon a Genie's lamp. She picked it up and rubbed it, and "POOF" a Genie appeared. The amazed woman asked if she was going to receive the usual three wishes.

The Genie looked at the map and exclaimed, "Dang, lady! These countries have been at war for thousands of years. I'm good, but not THAT good! I don't think it can be done. Make another wish."

The Genie let out a long sigh and said, "Let me see that stinking map lady!"

February 7, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Oh great, now we're going through the old double post gag again. Type it, don't show it !! Change and type again, and show both !!! It's nowhere near April 1 yet.
      I thought I was the one doing the jokes here.

February 7, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Lmao @ bobcat. Happens to the best of us!

February 7, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

And speaking of things that repeat themselves, (no not him) :

A little old lady was walking down the street, and she kept repeating, "21, 21."
    She walked past a man who heard what she was saying. "Come on, lady!" he said, "You are not 21!"
    She smacked him on the head with her handbag, then walked off repeating, "22, 22..."

February 7, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  5. bobcat2u

One day a guy walked into a pet store to buy a parrot. He found one that he liked and went up to the counter to buy it. The store clerk saw which parrot he had picked out and said, "That parrot repeats everything he hears."

"That's alright," the man replied. So the man bought the parrot and left the store. As he was walking down the street, he saw a cop chasing a robber.

The cop hollered to his partner, "Shoot him down, shoot him down!"
    Then the parrot said, "Shoot him down, shoot him down!"

They kept walking and found a man who was trying to pry his car off the ground with a crowbar because his wheels had been stolen.

The man said, "Pop it up, pop it up!"
    The parrot said, "Pop it up, pop it up!"

They kept on walking to a carnival. A guy at a gamestand yelled, "Hit a big one, win a prize!"
    The parrot said, "Hit a big one, win a prize!"

Then they walked into a church and sat down. The minister was in the middle of the sermon.

He said, "The Lord is above us."
    The parrot said, "Shoot him down,shoot him down!"

The minister said, "The devil is below us."
    The parrot said, "Pop it up, pop it up."

Then the minister got angry and threw a bible at the parrot. The parrot ducked and the bible hit a fat lady behind him.
    The parrot said," Hit a big one, win a prize!"

February 7, 2015 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  6. bobcat2u

Last comment was #999. Hell, let's make it an even 1000.

Why do people say “if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times”? I’m pretty sure that if you told me once then you only said it one time. I would let you know if you repeated yourself a thousand times.'Cause that's annoying.

February 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  7. banasy©

Huh uh

February 7, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  8. banasy©

Now it's 1000! Lol

February 7, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Honestly, my computer showed 999 when I posted that. Don't make pull a "him" on ya. lol

February 7, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Lol. It's all good. Who cares, anyhow? Besides "him", I mean.

I was called a bitch by him for taking the "much lauded" 2000th post away from him on the first blog. And was told "it's all on you." Oooooh. Scary.

Not like the Prize Patrol is knocking at our door...lol.

February 7, 2015 at 4:36 pm |
  9. chri§§y

Lol you couldnt be THAT bad if you worked double time at it @ bobcat!

February 7, 2015 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  10. Bobworthy

Hardy har

February 7, 2015 at 11:14 pm | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Yea hardy har har, shouldnt you call yourself Notworthy?

February 7, 2015 at 11:51 pm | Reply
  12. Mothra

Oh no!,Tyranabanasy©

February 8, 2015 at 1:50 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Why don't you just leave us alone, Philhole? You ate not informative, you are not clever, you are merely an asshole.

February 8, 2015 at 10:34 am | Reply
  13. Dr. Phil

Why is Adam so fat and stupid as average Americans are now.

February 8, 2015 at 10:13 am | Reply
    • Dr. banasy©

Pourquoi êtes-vous un tel connard?

February 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  14. bobcat2u

nouvelles orlleans, je viens ici. temps de carnaval la façon cajun. Laissez les bons temps rouler

February 8, 2015 at 11:09 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Soyez sûr d'obtenir quelques perles.

February 8, 2015 at 11:25 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

été faire mes dos et du cou exercices en prévision du poids je serai portais

February 8, 2015 at 11:51 am |
      • banasy©

Je leur donnerais tout pour vous!

February 8, 2015 at 11:55 am |
      • bobcat2u

je vous remercie beaucoup mon ami

February 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm |
    • bobcat2u

Thank you for the practice my friend. We just got invited to party with some friends on the bayou and I know it's going to come in handy.

February 8, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Vous serez à la fois populaire.

February 8, 2015 at 12:34 pm |
  15. bobcat2u

Three college professors were driving down the highway at a very slow speed. A policeman pulled them over and explained that driving so slowly on the highway could be hazardous. The driver pointed out the sign that read "20." He explained that he was going 20 mph because of the sign. The policeman pointed out that the sign indicated they were driving on Highway 20.

Somewhat embarrassed the professor apologized and promised to be more observant.

As the policeman turned to walk back to his car, he noticed the other two professors on the floor ...looking scared to death! He asked the driver, "What's wrong with them?"

The driver replied, "We just turned off Highway 105."

February 8, 2015 at 11:19 am | Reply

"I can't drive...55!!"

I haven't heard that song in years when I posted that to you the other day; I heard it yesterday driving on I94. Thought of you, lol.

February 8, 2015 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

That's eerie sometimes when you mention things you haven't thought of years and all of a sudden you experience it again.
        deja vu une fois de plus

February 8, 2015 at 11:56 am |
      • banasy©

Tout comme ses messages récurrents, mon ami?

February 8, 2015 at 12:37 pm |

Oui !!! Comme été là, fait que

February 8, 2015 at 12:45 pm |
      • banasy©

La boucle infinie de ennuyeux.

February 8, 2015 at 1:13 pm |

Rire mon cul

February 8, 2015 at 1:28 pm |
      • banasy©

Mon français est pauvre. Excuses.

February 8, 2015 at 2:05 pm |
  16. bobcat2u

Un 85-year-old man a été demandée par son médecin pour un nombre de spermatozoïdes dans le cadre de son examen physique.
    Le médecin a donné à l'homme un pot et dit: «Prenez ce pot maison et ramener demain un échantillon de sperme." Le lendemain, le
    85-year-old man réapparu au bureau du médecin et lui a donné le pot, qui était aussi propre et vide comme le jour précédent.
    Le médecin a demandé, ce qui est arrivé et l'homme a expliqué.
    "Eh bien, doc, ce est comme ça – début je ai essayé avec ma main droite, mais rien Alors je ai essayé avec ma main gauche, mais toujours rien alors je ai demandé à ma femme de l'aide Elle a essayé avec sa main droite, puis avec... sa gauche, toujours rien. elle a essayé avec sa bouche, d'abord avec les dents, puis avec ses dents sur, toujours rien. Nous avons même appelé Arleen, la dame à côté et elle a essayé aussi, d'abord avec les deux mains, puis une aisselle , et elle a même essayé squeezin 'entre ses genoux, mais toujours rien ".
    Le médecin a été choqué! "Vous avez demandé votre voisin?"
    Le vieil homme répondit: «Ouais, aucun de nous ne pourrait obtenir le pot ouvert."

February 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Reply

Merde, je craque moi

February 8, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Reply

Les d'oh!!

February 8, 2015 at 2:02 pm |
  17. Dr. banasy©

Pourquoi êtes-vous un tel connard?

February 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  18. Philip

a forty something volunteer fireman gets disability pay.

February 8, 2015 at 7:05 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Or a seventy-something retired former first responder still giving something back to the community.

But then what the fu~/b>ck do you know, besides lies and hypocrisy.

February 8, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

That word I messed up, of course, is "fuck"; a word that makes Philip clutch his pearls whilst gasping in dismay, even as he talks incessantly about sex, dildos, and his version of God.

February 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm |
  19. chri§§y

Good God philip if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything. It sure as hell beats LYING!

February 8, 2015 at 9:33 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Three words that will never describe him: "decent human being."

February 9, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  20. banasy©

CNN Reporter:

Welcome to 2013, Founding Fathers. I've brought you through time to the present day to offer us your unique perspective on our fractured modern-day government. Can you believe that the wonderful democracy you created has devolved into the bitter, divisive political cesspool of today?

Ben Franklin:
    HOLY CRAP, WHAT IS THAT???

Reporter:
    Uh, this? Oh. It's my iPhone.

Ben Franklin:
    It's incredible! What a curious device. What are these images? How are they changing??? I– I cannot comprehend such craftsmanship! Are you some sort of master artisan, or an impossibly wealthy Sultan??

George Washington:
    IRON HORSES! IRON HORSES EVERYWHERE!

Thomas Jefferson:
    These buildings are ENORMOUS! How is this possible?? Are they all cathedrals??? They must have required centuries to construct!

John Hancock:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reporter:
    Guys, we're getting off track here. I just want to know what you think of the Congress in 2013.

George Washington:
    [Pointing At Airplane] WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

Reporter:
    It's an airplane. People fly around in them.

Thomas Jefferson:
    Are mine eyes deceiving me?? Behold, the miracle of human flight - I am humbled in its divine presence! My soul weeps tears of joy at visions of human utopia, realized!

John Hancock:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING????? WHO–WHA– WHERE IS MY FAMILY?????????

Reporter:
    Look, will one of you just gimme a stupid quote about the current state of Politics? Just one quote. I'll even get you started – something like, "When we envisioned this great nation, we never once imagined–"

Alexander Hamilton:
    GUYS! GUYS! Have you seen this?? Our faces are all over the money!

[Hands everyone a wad of bills and coins]

George Washington:
    THAT IS SO FLIPPING COOL.

Ben Franklin:
    My humble countenance graces the note of ONE HUNDRED Golds? Such wealth cannot be conceived!

George Washington:
    OH MAN they even got the eagle on there, you see that? Check it out, right there! Yeahhh. This freaking rules. Martha's gonna flip her shit when she sees me on these silver coins.

John Hancock:
    EVERYONE I'VE EVER KNOWN IS DEAD AND BURIED IN CEMETERIES OF STEEL!

Reporter:
    Alright guys, look - I promise I'll show you all the cool modern stuff in just a second, but first, can you please say one thing, anything about the current government and how divided it is? Doesn't have to be perfect, just say whatever. I'm gonna start recording, ok? Face this camera and begin speaking.

Thomas Jefferson:
    What is this demonry??

Reporter:
    I'LL EXPLAIN CAMERAS IN A SECOND, just give me a quote about the government, please.

Ben Franklin:
    Very well, as you wish. Uhhhh... "The government of today is–" Uhhh. It's very... I dunno, umm...

George Washington:
    Sure are a lot of freakin' slaves everywhere.

[Jefferson high-fives him]

Reporter:
    CUT! Jesus, Washington, you can't say that.

George Washington:
    Well, there are!

Alexander Hamilton:
    What is THAT OBJECT?? IS THAT WHAT CANDLES ARE NOW???

Reporter:
    What, this? This is my tie. It's not even technological, it's just a thing we wear now.

Alexander Hamilton:
    SUCH AN ODD CANDLE [Tries to eat the tie]

Reporter:
    Stop it! Why would you be trying to eat candles anyway?? Fine, alright, never mind. This didn't really work out like I hoped, so just– I don't know. Forget it.

[Reporter Leaves. Founding Fathers stand there silently.]

Ben Franklin:
    So... you guys see that Breaking Bad finale?

John Hancock:
    AHHHHHHHHHHH NOT YET SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!

February 9, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Phenomahna – Do doo doo doo do !!!!!

February 9, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

"What is this demonry?" made me giggle, along with "CUT! Jesus, Washington, you can’t say that."

I had to do some creative editing to get it through. Washington sure had a potty mouth, lol.

February 9, 2015 at 10:06 pm |
      • bobcat2u

It'sa freakinn' cornspeeracy I tells ya ! A freakinn' cornspeeracy !

February 9, 2015 at 10:10 pm |
      • bobcat2u

But that was really funny.

February 9, 2015 at 10:12 pm |
  21. bobcat2u

⌂ Home
    👤 Robert
    ⚙ Help

Press ? for keyboard shortcuts.

A priest, a doctor, and an "engineer" were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The "engineer" fumed, "What's with those guys? We must have been waiting for fifteen minutes!"

The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such inept golf!"

The priest said, "Here comes the green-keeper. Let's have a word with him."

He said, "Hello George, what's wrong with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

The green-keeper replied, "Oh, yes. That's a group of blind (volunteer) "firemen". They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."

The group fell silent for a moment.

The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor said, "Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleague and see if there's anything he can do for them."

The "engineer" said, "Why can't they play at night?"

February 9, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Reply

"..."

February 9, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Phenomahna – Do doo doo doo !!!!

February 9, 2015 at 10:06 pm |
      • banasy©

The creative use of quotation marks is truly inspired.

February 9, 2015 at 10:08 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Thank you. I knew you'd catch it.

February 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm |
      • banasy©

Q: What do "engineers" use for birth control?

A: Their personalities

February 9, 2015 at 10:29 pm |
      • banasy©

(And I've heard of padding one's resume, but that was ridiculous.)

February 9, 2015 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Philip

Lol. Play at night. Good one.

February 9, 2015 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  23. Philip

Ease congestion: Blind people only allowed out at night.

February 9, 2015 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  24. chri§§y

Lol @ philip...not much else to do here is there? May as well have fun and get a few laughs out of it doncha think?

February 9, 2015 at 9:57 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Hello my friend. Phenomahna – Do doo doo doo do !!!!!

February 9, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Do doo do do doo do doo doo.

February 9, 2015 at 10:19 pm |
  25. chri§§y

Hey guys! 😉 So WHAT did they thing of todays romper room congress anyway? And i became a great aunt today....Conner William is his name! Hes having a little bit of problems but at least hes in good company. Hes in the same hospital as my daughter! 😉 maybe they will be each others good luck charm huh! And hes gorgeous! Lol

February 9, 2015 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Great Auntie chrissy. That's got a nice ring to it. Congrats.

February 9, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Reply

Awww...that's sweet! Congratulations.

February 9, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  26. banasy©

Q: When does a person decide to become an "engineer?"

A: When he realizes he doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker.

February 9, 2015 at 10:33 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Phenomahna – Do doo doo doo do !!!!!

February 9, 2015 at 10:38 pm | Reply
  27. bobcat2u

And speaking of Phenomahna :

Little Johnny is sitting in biology class, and the teacher says that an interesting phenomenon of nature is that only humans stutter, no other animal in the world does this.
    Suddenly, Little Johnny's hand shoots up. "Not correct, Miss!" he says.
    "Please explain, Johnny," replies the teacher.
    "Well, Miss, just the other day I was playing with my cat on the porch. The neighbor's Rottweiler came around the corner, and my cat went "ffffffffff! ffffffffffff! ffffffffff!", and before he could say "Fu ck Off!", the dog ate him."

February 9, 2015 at 10:33 pm | Reply

Sure it wasn't a lisp?

February 9, 2015 at 11:17 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

I think the lisp would be more like ffffttthhhh ffffftttthhhh fffffttttthhhhh.

February 9, 2015 at 11:30 pm |
  28. chri§§y

Lmao i havent read all the posts so im not sure exactly what the beef is with engineers and you could be right about SOME of them. In any case the lack of personality and the undertaker were funny! LOL

February 9, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

It referred to something that was on the first blog, Auntie Chrissy. I'll tell you later.

February 9, 2015 at 10:55 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

banasy beat me to it. That was an interesting (ahem) "discussion".

February 9, 2015 at 10:57 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Discussion, my ass. The question-and-answer portion left something to be desired...like answers...lol.

February 9, 2015 at 11:15 pm |
  29. banasy©

One really can find a joke for any profession...

After a bad blowout three oilfield workers are walking around the rig site: a Roughneck, an MWD hand and a Directional Driller.

As they're walking along the edge of the pad, they see a naked foot sticking out of a bush. When they investigate, they find the nude body of the young female geologist. Her clothing must have been blown off her body by an explosion.

Out of respect and propriety, the Roughneck immediately takes off his hardhat and places it over her left breast.

Quickly following suit, the MWD hand takes off his hardhat and places it over her right breast.

They look at the Directional Driller. After much complaining and grumbling, the Directional Driller places his hardhat over the young woman's private parts.

The Toolpusher quickly comes over to check the body. He lifts the Roughneck's hardhat and then puts it back down and hastily scribbles some notes on his report. Then he lifts the MWD hardhat and puts it back down and takes some more notes. Finally he lifts the Directional Driller's hardhat and sets it back down. Hesitating, he bends back over, lifts it up and looks again, then sets it down.

Still unsure of what to do, he looks a third time underneath the Directional Driller's hardhat.

Annoyed, the Directional Driller asks him "what's wrong with you? Are you some kind of pervert?" "Well," said the Toolpusher, "I am just simply surprised. Normally, when you look under a directional driller's hat... you find an asshole."

February 9, 2015 at 11:13 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I bow to you and pass the baton. That was awesome.

February 9, 2015 at 11:25 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Not enough thumbs up to pay homage to that.

February 9, 2015 at 11:28 pm |
      • banasy©

Thanks but take it back! Take it back! I don't want the baton!

February 10, 2015 at 10:01 am |
  30. chri§§y

Ah! Im starting to get a picture of it and who it was said by probably lmao! Some things are just almost too predictable! Lmao

February 9, 2015 at 11:15 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

But of course, my dear. But of course.

February 9, 2015 at 11:16 pm | Reply