January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. bobcat2u

Father Murphy walked into a pub in Donegal, and said to the first man he meets, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man said, "I do Father."

The priest said, "Then leave this pub right now!" and approached a second man. "Do you want to got to heaven?"

"Certainly, Father," was the man's reply.

"Then leave this den of Satan," said the priest, as he walked up to O'Toole.

"Do you want to go to heaven?"

"No, I don't Father," O'Toole replied.

The priest looked him right in the eye, and said, "You mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole smiled, "Oh, when I die, yes, Father. I thought you were getting a group together to go right now."

February 10, 2015 at 11:02 am | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Lmao you two always brighten my day thank you! And @ bobcat...that baton was made especially for you!

February 10, 2015 at 11:14 am | Reply
    • banasy©

I find the thought of Rawr twirling a baton to be giggle-inducing.

Oh, not that kind of baton?

Never mind.

February 10, 2015 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

I'd thought about twirling flaming batons, but then I'd probably have to call out the tooth-pick armed "volunteer firefighters".

February 10, 2015 at 11:48 am |
      • banasy©

They'll get the paramedics to put out the fire, don't worry.

February 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm |
    • bobcat2u

Thank you chrissy. Carrying the baton is "a far better thing than I've ever done before."

February 10, 2015 at 11:42 am | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Lmfao @ banasy that was cute.

February 10, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

Q: What do you call a woman that sets her bills on fire?

A: Bernadette.

February 11, 2015 at 10:47 am | Reply
  5. bobcat2u

An employee comes into her manager’s office to take a day off from work. The manager replies:

"So you want a day off. Let's take a look at what you are asking for. There are 365 days per year available for work. There are 52 weeks per year in which you already have 2 days off per week, leaving 261 days available for work. Since you spend 16 hours each day away from work, you have used up 170 days, leaving only 91 days available. You spend 30 minutes each day on coffee break, which counts for 23 days each year, leaving only 68 days available. With a 1-hour lunch each day, you used up another 46 days, leaving only 22 days available for work. You normally spend 2 days per year on sick leave. This leaves you only 20 days per year available for work. We are off 5 holidays per year, so your available working time is down to 15 days. We generously give 14 days vacation per year which leaves only 1 day available for work and I'll be darned if you are going to take that day off!"

February 11, 2015 at 10:50 am | Reply
    • banasy©

"Damn lazy, work-shy 'Merican."

February 11, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Laziest damn people on earth.

February 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm |
      • banasy©

Bet she's overly obese, too.

February 11, 2015 at 1:47 pm |
      • bobcat2u

And can't drill holes either.

February 11, 2015 at 1:50 pm |
      • banasy©

Well, of course not. No woman, ever, has drilled a hole. That takes an "engineer". Not a "volunteer", either.

February 11, 2015 at 2:04 pm |
  6. bobcat2u

A man is walking down the beach and comes across an old bottle. He picks it up, pulls out the cork and out pops a genie!

The genie says, "Thank you for freeing me from the bottle. In return I will grant you three wishes."

The man says "Great! I always dreamed of this and I know exactly what I want. First, I want one billion dollars in a Swiss bank account."

Poof! There is a flash of light and a piece of paper with account numbers appears in his hand!

He continues, "Next, I want a brand new red Ferrari right here."

Poof! There is a flash of light and a bright red, brand-new Ferrari appears right next to him!

He continues, "Finally, I want to be irresistible to women."

Poof! There is a flash of light and he turns into a box of chocolates.

February 11, 2015 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Before we go any further...what kind of chocolates?

February 11, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Truffles and Turtles and Cordials !! Oh my !!!

February 11, 2015 at 1:07 pm |
      • banasy©

Hmmm...seems legit. From where, though?

February 11, 2015 at 1:50 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Belgium

February 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm |

Good answer.

February 11, 2015 at 2:05 pm |
  7. Bob TM

Father Dowling asked Father Boyhumpy if he wanted to go to heaven. "Why yes" said Father Boyhumpy still wreaking of boy poop.
    "Then get out of this gay bathe house" exclaimed Dowling.

February 11, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  8. ESpeedo Coffee®

Franchises available starting at $150K. Catering to the gay male community and to women with wandering eyes. Call BR-549.

February 11, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

There were two guys who wanted to pick up women on a beach. One was Italian (Vito) and the other was Russian (Vladimir). Vito had no problem picking up gorgeous women; he was the most popular guy on the beach. But Vladimir had no success.
      Vladimir: "Vito! How do you do it? How do you attract so many beautiful women?" Vito: "Well, I'll tell ya! But it's a secret . . just between you and me. I don't want my system to become too public."
      Vladimir: "OK. It's a deal."
      Vito: "You see those potatoes over there? Well, every time I come to the beach I take one and put it in my Speedo. When the women see it, they come running from miles around."
      Vladimir: "That's it? I can do that."
      The next day, Vladimir went over to the produce stand and picked out the biggest, most perfectly shaped potato he could find. He then went into the changing room and slipped it into his Speedo. As he walked out onto the beach, he immediately noticed that women...and men began to notice him. "It's working, he thought." But soon he began to realize that they were not looking interested but rather upset, almost disgusted by the sight of him.
      He rushed over to Vito and asked "Vito, what's the problem? Why isn't it working?"
      Vito: "Because you're supposed to put the potato in the FRONT!!"

February 12, 2015 at 11:59 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

D'oh, "Facepalm" to infinity.

February 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm |
      • banasy©

Right? Lol, didn't you post something similar?

(Not many speedo jokes out there, not counting the jokes who actually wear them...)

February 12, 2015 at 12:49 pm |
  9. bobcat2u

A man in Amsterdam feels the need to confess, so he goes to his priest.

"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. During world war II, I hid a refugee in my attic."

"Well," answers the priest, "that's not a sin."'

"But I made him agree to pay me 20 guilders for every week he stayed."

"I admit that wasn't good, but you did it for a good cause."

"Oh, thank you, Father. That eases my mind. I have one more question."

"What is that, my son?"

"Do I have to tell him the war is over?"

February 11, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  10. bobcat2u

The new priest is nervous about hearing confessions, so he asks the older priest to sit in on his sessions. The new priest hears a couple of confessions, then the old priest asks him to step out of the confessional for a few suggestions.

The old priest suggests, "Cross you arms over your chest, and rub your chin with one hand." The new priest tries this.

The old priest suggests, "Try saying things like, 'I see, yes, go on', and "I understand. How did you feel about that?" The new priest says those things.

The old priest says, "Now, don't you think that's a little better than slapping your knee and saying 'No sh!t?!? What happened next?"

February 11, 2015 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  11. bobcat2u

A young couple was expecting a visit from the pastor of their church.

They wanted everything to go smoothly, but their three year old son was just getting the hang of potty training.

He was at the stage where he would announce at the top of his voice, “I gotta pee,” when he had to go to the bathroom.

His father, worried that this might be embarrassing when the minister came to call, instructed the child, “Don’t shout that you’ve got to pee. Whisper!”

That evening the pastor makes his visit. He’s there a very long time while the parents are in the kitchen preparing the meal. The three year old is leaning on one foot and the other.

Finally, the minister asks him, “What’s the matter, son?”

The child looks at him and says, “I’ve gotta whisper!”

The pastor says, “It’s all right, child. Whisper in my ear.”

February 11, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  12. ESpeedo Coffee®

Help Wanted: Men who good in a thong and willing to learn how to make coffee. Call BR-549

February 11, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

down at the table, leaned forward, put her head in her hands and said to her husband "Honey, I feel terrible! My head hurts, my back's killing me and my left breast just burns and burns." He said "I'm gonna help you, Dear. I'll get you some aspirins for the headache, I'll rub your back with Myoflex for the backache, and if you'll sit up and get your breast out of the coffee, it'll stop burning!"

February 12, 2015 at 12:00 pm | Reply

[A woman sat...]

February 12, 2015 at 12:51 pm |
  13. ESpedo Coffee™

Help Wanted: Looking for ex priest with at least 3 years experience. Call BR-666

February 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Ty @ bobcat! A nice addition to the day! And @ philip aka you know who....i TOLD you before Help Wanted signs are now antiques!

February 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

A man was browsing in an antique store when he came upon a statue of a rat. He asked the price and the owner said, "The statue of the rat is $100; the legend behind the statue is another $100."
      The man agreed to buy only the statue itself, although the owner warned as he left, "You'll be back for the legend!"
      The man tossed the statue into the back seat of his car and started to drive away.
      There were several rats in the alley that began to chase the car. As he went through town, many more rats began to chase the car, until literally hundreds of rats were swarming the car.
      Frightened, the man sped toward the edge of town to a bridge over the river. He tossed the statue over the bridge and into the water below. All the rats jumped in after the statue and drowned.
      The man, now visibly shaken, returned to the antique store.
      The owner, seeing him approach, said, "Now, do you want the legend behind the statue of the rat?"
      "No," the man replied, "... but do you have any lawyer statues?"

February 11, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  15. banasy©

An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding in Connecticut. The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest's breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car. He says, "Sir, have you been drinking?" "Just water," says the priest, fingers crossed. The trooper says, "Then why do I smell wine?" The priest looks at the bottle and says, "Good Lord! He's done it again!"

February 11, 2015 at 1:56 pm | Reply
  16. chri§§y

And that fixation you have on obesity philip, one would have to be a fool not to believe you are obese also!

February 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  17. banasy©

The stockbroker was nervous about being in prison because his cellmate looked like a real thug.

"Don't worry," the gruff looking fellow said, "I'm in here for a white collar crime too."

"Well, that's a relief," sighed the stockbroker. "I was sent to prison for fraud and insider trading."

"Oh nothing fancy like that for me," grinned the convict. "I just murdered a couple of priests."

February 11, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  18. banasy©

A Rabbi and a Priest buy a car together and it's being stored at the Priest's house. One day the Rabbi goes over to use the car and he sees him sprinkling water on it. The Rabbi asked, "What are you doing?" The Priest responded, "I'm blessing the car." So the Rabbi said "Okay, since we're doing that...." and takes out a hacksaw and cuts two inches off the tail pipe.

February 11, 2015 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  19. bobcat2u

Obesity has been getting a lot of bad press recently. Research conducted entirely by thin people, has uncovered justification for their own masochistic obsessive-compulsive, fun-killing an al retentative lifestyles.One of the great problems with research, of course, is that the researchers tend to find what they're looking for. And when they find it, they stop looking for other things. It's important, therefore, not to believe research by pressure groups that start with preconceived ideas.Examples of findings not to believe: research on the benefits of exercise by phys. Ed. Department, on the hazards of cholesterol by an anorexic and on the joy of obesity by an overweight G. P. The whole obesity phobia was started by some statistics from a life insurance company purporting to show that people who were overweight didn't live as long as people who were underweight. These were very raw figures and led to some unwarranted conclusions.First, it was as sumed that if the overweight group lost weight they'd live longer. This was totally unproved. It never will be proved, as there are just not enough people to study who've lost weight permanently. [95% of those who lose weight gain it back again within 5 years -ed] [and the yo-yo effect of losing then gaining many pounds repeatedly causes a greater health risk than staying overweight. -ed]Second, it did not address the possibility that the obese group might have another factor affecting lifespan. It seems this is very likely, since the Framington Study showed that if diabetics and those with heart disease were removed from the obese group, the obese group lived longer.Let's list some benefits of obesity:Overeating Is Fun. Make a list of all the pleasures that are in this life and you'll find the list isn't very long. The one pleasure that's life-long and never pales is eating.Carrying Fat Is Good Exercise. If you believe in exercise (I don't), surely carrying around 20 or 30 pounds of fat all day should be good for you.Obese People Are Nicer People. This is not just a hasty remark, but the result of careful clinical observation. I've seen an average of 20 patients a day for 30 years. I can tell you that these people are more jolly, more kind, more forgiving and just generally nicer. Although it could be the other way round, losing weight and keeping it off, is so rare that only obsessive-compulsives are able to do it. This may be admirable, but obsessive-compulsives aren't relaxing people to be with. [I agree. Really thin and athletic people are that way usually from a driving goal-oriented personality. In short, they are as sholes. -ed.]Obese People Represent Superior Adaptation. In days gone by, there were many advantages to being able to convert excess food into fat. The long winters were better survived by those with a reserve of calories.Climatic Adaptation. Obese people can survive cold better. In particular, their cold-water survival ability has been demonstrated many times.Obese People Make Better Lovers. This is a fact known to romantics the world over. Bony lovers can never compete with what G.K. Chesterston referred to as the "promise of pneumatic bliss."Anorexia, a terrible condition, is rare among obese people. Those who consider the highly trained athlete to be the ideal human might want to consider the greatest duration runner of the animal kingdom, the pronghorn antelope of Wyoming. It can run 95km/h for an hour. It has tremendous lungs, an amazing cardiac output and a maximum oxygen uptake that might deplete the Earth's resources. So why didn't this marvel of nature become a widespread species? Since these antelopes have no body fat, and can stand neither cold nor lack or food, few survive the Wyoming winter. Think about it.

February 11, 2015 at 2:22 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lmao. Two words; "confirmation bias."

February 11, 2015 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y

Lol ty @ bobcat. It was rather lengthy and not as humorous as ive come to expect from you, but because you wrote it i gave it a valiant effort and stuck with it! Good job!

February 12, 2015 at 11:58 am | Reply
  21. chri§§y

AND @ bobcat....you've got some serious competi tion goin on here! Lmao @ banasy!

February 12, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol, Chrissy; I learned from the best. He is right; there is literally a joke for everything!

February 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  22. bobcat2u

Our generation never got a break. When we were young they taught us to respect our elders. Now that we are older, they tell us to listen to the youth of the country.

February 12, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  23. bobcat2u

Finally got a clue.

A proud and confident genius makes a bet with an idiot.

The genius says, "Hey idiot, every question I ask you that you don't know the answer, you have to give me $5. And if you ask me a question and I can't answer yours I will give you $5,000."

The idiot says, "Okay."

The genius then asks, "How many continents are there in the world?" The idiot doesn't know and hands over the $5.

The idiot says, "Now me ask: what animal stands with two legs but sleeps with three?"

The genius tries and searches very hard for the answer but gives up and hands over the $5,000.

The genius says, "Dang it, I lost. By the way, what was the answer to your question?"

The idiot hands over $5.

February 12, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  24. bobcat2u

The Potato Head family, consisting of a father, a mother, and three daughters, is at home one night. The eldest daughter comments, "I've got some great news, mom and dad. I'm getting married!" The parents rejoice for several minutes, then the father says, "Honey, whom are you marrying?" She answers, "I'm marrying an Idaho potato." This makes the parents even more ecstatic since Idaho potatoes are the cream of the crop.

The second daughter interrupts, "I don't mean to detract from her excitement, but I'm getting married too!" The parents jump for joy and shout happily, and the mother says, "Okay, who is it?" The daughter responds, "I'm getting married to a Maine potato." Maine potatoes are not as good as Idaho potatoes, of course, but they're near the top, so the parents are pretty darn happy.

The youngest daughter finally comments, "Guess what, folks, I'm getting married as well." By this time the parents are euphoric, delirious with pride and joy, and the father finally asks, "Don't hold it back. Whom are you marrying?" And the daughter says, "I'm marrying Andy Rooney." At this the parents suddenly become stern and respond, "Andy Rooney? How could you? He's just a common tater!"

February 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

"I think" said the sweet potato, "therefore I yam"

February 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  25. bobcat2u

One day two sweet potatos, who were best friends, were walking together down the street. They stepped off the curb and a speeding car came around the corner and ran one of them over. The uninjured sweet potato called 911 and helped his injured friend as best he was able. The injured sweet potato was taken to emergency at the hospital and rushed into surgery. After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared. He told the uninjured sweet potato, "I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that your friend is going to pull through." "The bad news is that he's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life".

February 12, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

"They call me......Tater Salad."

February 12, 2015 at 2:51 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

And his son is "Tater-Tot".

February 12, 2015 at 2:59 pm |
  26. bobcat2u

My grand-daddy worked in a blacksmith shop when he was a young fella, and he used to tell me, when I was a little nipper, how he had toughened himself up so he could stand the hard work of blacksmithing.One story was how he had developed his arm and shoulder muscles. As he told it, he would stand outside behind the wood shed, with a 5 pound potato sack in each hand, extend his arms straight out from his sides and hold them there as long as he could.After awhile he tried 10 pound potato sacks, then 50 pound potato sacks and finally he got to where he could lift a 100 pound potato sack in each hand and hold his arms straight out for more than two full minutes... \

Then, he started putting potatoes in the sacks...

February 12, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  27. bobcat2u

A man in a Jaguar passed a Mini that had broken down by the side of the road. Being a kindly driver, he stopped and fixed a tow-rope to it and began towing it to the nearest garage.
    After 10 minutes of towing, a Porsche passed them at high speed. The Jaguar driver was not going to be outdone by a Porsche, so, forgetting that he had a Mini in tow, slammed his foot down and the Jaguar and Porsche indulged in a high-speed race down the road, the Mini and it's occupant trailing wildly about at the end of the rope frantically trying to attract their attention and failing.
    A Police car saw them and gave chase. The Police driver radioed back to Headquarters "Sarge, you'll never believe this, I've just seen a Porsche and a Jaguar neck and neck doing 150 mph – and a bloke in a Mini flashing his lights, blowing his horn and trying to overtake them!"

February 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  28. bobcat2u

A blonde was driving home after a football game, and got caught in a really bad hailstorm. Her car was covered with dents, so the next day she took it to a body shop. The shop owner saw that she was a blonde, so he decided to have some fun. He told her just to go home and blow into the tail pipe really hard, and all the dents would pop out. So, the blonde went home, got down on her hands and knees and started blowing into her car's tailpipe. Nothing happened. She blew a little harder, and still nothing happened.

Her roommate, another blonde, came home and said, "What are you doing?"

The first blonde told her how the repairman had instructed her to blow into the tailpipe in order to get all the dents to pop out. Her roommate rolled her eyes and said, ...

"HELLLLO" "You need to wind up the windows"

February 12, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  29. bobcat2u

Nelson Mandela is sitting at home watching TV and drinking a beer when he hears a knock at the door. When he opens it, he is confronted by a ittle Ja panese man, clutching a clip board and yelling,

"You Sign! You sign!"

Behind him is an enormous truck full of car exhausts. Nelson is standing there in complete amazement, when the Ja panese man starts to yell louder,

"You Sign! You sign!"

Nelson says to him, "Look, you've obviously got the wrong man", and shuts the door in his face.

The next day he hears a knock at the door again.

When he opens it, the little Ja panese man is back with a huge truck of brake pads. He thrusts his clipboard under Nelson's nose, yelling,

"You sign! You sign!"

Mr Mandela is getting a bit hacked off by now, so he pushes the little Ja panese man back, shouting: "Look, go away! You've got the wrong man. I don't want them!"

Then he slams the door in his face again.

The following day, Nelson is resting, and late in the afternoon, he hears a knock on the door again. On opening the door, there is the same little Ja panese man thrusting a clipboard under his nose, shouting,

"You sign! You sign!"

Behind him are TWO very large trucks full of car parts. This time Nelson loses his temper completely, he picks up the little man by his shirt front and yells at him: "Look, I don't want these! Do you understand?

You must have the wrong name! Who do you want to give these to?"

The little Ja panese man looks very puzzled, consults his clipboard, and says :

(Get your best Ja panese accent ready)......

"You not Nissan Main Deala?"

February 12, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  30. bobcat2u

The man pulled over to the side of the road when he saw the police lights in his rear view mirror. “How long have you been riding around without a tail light?” asked the officer. “Oh, no!” screamed the man, jumping out of the car. “Calm down, it isn’t that serious.” said the officer. “Wait’ll my family finds out.” “Where’s your family?” “They’re in the trailer that was hitched to the car!”

February 12, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Reply