January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. chri§§y

Ikr? And the oddest part of it all is ive ALWAYS been a smalltown girl in smalltown USA, that for the most part was one race only and NEVER was there that much community closeness! And i am not joking!

February 19, 2015 at 12:11 am | Reply
  2. bobcat2u

My hometown was so small...

...the clinic was called Joe's Hospital and Grill

...long distance calls are delayed when the area code is busy

...the town Lady of the Evening stands under a flashlight

...in order to paint traffic lines, the road had to be widened

...instead of hoses, the "Volunteer"Fire Department uses water pistols

...you had to make a reservation to use the parking meter

...during snowstorms, salt was spread using a salad shooter

...the local Motel 6 sleeps six

...during a boxing match, both men have to sit in the same corner

...the class valedictorian had both the highest & lowest averages

...the Mayor was also the Sheriff, Town Council & street sweeper

...we had no adult movie house; once a week someone left the shades up

...the municipal water system's pump was supplied by Water Pik

...before you visited, you could look out a window & see who was home

...there was no town idiot - everybody had to take turns

February 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  3. bobcat2u

You Know You’re in a Small Town When…

You don’t use your blinkers because everyone knows where you are going.
    Third Street is on the edge of town.
    You dial the wrong number, but talk for 15 minutes anyways.
    The biggest business in town sells farm machinery.
    You miss a Sunday of church and receive get-well cards.
    You write a check on the wrong bank and it covers it for you.
    The polka is the most popular dance on Saturday night.
    You can’t walk for exercise, because every car that passes you offers you a ride.
    The pickups on mainstreet outnumber the cars 3 to 1.
    You drive into the ditch 5 miles out of town and word gets back to town before you do.
    Someone asks how you feel, and then really listens to what you say.

February 19, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

Lololol too true @ bobcat. My hometown population was just a bit over 800.

February 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  5. banasy©

More small town fun:

PEOPLE

Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read this.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H is.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.

4) You used to lap "main".

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow)

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

10) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

11) You don't give directions by street names or directions by references. "Turn by Nelson's house, go to 2 blocks east to the Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track (field)".

12) The golf course had only 9 holes.

13) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

14) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

15) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but is actually just like your town.

16) You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people".

17) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later.

18) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town pub.

19) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.

20) The gym teacher suggests you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

21) Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference.

22) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.

23) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

24) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

25) You can charge at all the local stores or write checks without any ID.

26) The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more).

27) The closest mall is over an hour away.

28) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

29) You've peed in a cornfield.(or sugarcane)

30) Most people go by a nickname.

31) You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is all true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town (because you know them All!!!).

February 19, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  6. banasy©

I tried to post a lengthy tribute to Yoopers in honor of Chrissy, but it won't go through and I don't know why; so I'll just say ya hey!

February 19, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  7. banasy©

I just read a comment from that site that said "my town was so small that the only heavy industry was the 320 pound Avon Lady."

Lol.

February 19, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat that was awesome! Hey do you remember in the early 70s they had some kind of real estate commercial, at least thats what i think it was intended for. Anyway it was a fictional place called "Rainbow City" and thats what we named our party spot. Those were some good times!

February 19, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  9. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy and while i do appreciate all things "yooper" i have to tell you ive never been considered a yooper. That honor is for those residing in the Upper Penninsula of Mich. Ive never lived in the U.P. only northern lower pennisula. Our "yooper" times were strictly vacations and we had some good ones up there for sure!

February 19, 2015 at 2:53 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, I don't know why I thought you were UP. Apologies.

February 19, 2015 at 5:56 pm | Reply
  10. chri§§y

Btw @ bobcat...you forgot one. In the winter while driving to your destination you see a car has spun out of control and winds up in the ditch. Your first thought is "oh boy more cityits".

February 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Now, in my travels, I have seen more than one farm tractor in ditches; what would you call them?

I called them "drunk", lol.

I remember having to travel to Southern Illinois once in extremely bad weather; I stopped counting the spun-out vehicles in the ditches once I reached 75. We didn't spin out. Skidded a few times, but didn't spin out.
      I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of drivers when it rains/snows, as if this were some sort of phenomena that has never happened before. C'mon! We live in the Midwest! Surely you're familiar with our weather by now?!?

February 19, 2015 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy, i believe you just described my brother in law. The tractor story i mean...and remember what my mom calls him? And why? Lol "running dummy" just in case you forgot. And yea i dont understand the driving here when it rains or snows. Apparantly alot of brainfreezing going on i guess! I still call em cityits! The one thing i have noticed...its like theyve never heard of the "basic speed law"! Its like the "legal issue" you know who has going on, if its legal you must do it.

February 19, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Do you mean having to go the posted speed limit when it's inclement weather? Yeah, I know.

I have seen more than one bozo flying by when it's crappy out, just to see them in an accident further down the road; thankfully, they're usually one car accidents.

Going to drive like an asshat? Please refrain from taking anyone with you when you crash, mmmkay, thx.

February 19, 2015 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Idk if you saw this on your news channel and i didnt catch where it happened but, they showed a police officer pulled over and walkin up to another vehicle when this truck comes flyin outta no where and nearly crushed him! WTH? Why do people have to be so damn dumb? If you see someone pulled over move the he!! over already! Its a law in my state but idk about other states. But still it should just be common sense!

February 19, 2015 at 8:28 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I've seen similar videos. More than one police officer has been killed that way.

Flipping idiots.

February 19, 2015 at 9:16 pm | Reply
  13. banasy©

Just perusing the first thread. Here's what our favorite Outraged Christian had to say:

Philip says:
    February 19, 2015 at 7:42 pm
    Wow. You CNN pro-sodomy pro-deathers hammered the heck out of my personal s/n today. Was prolly barndaisy, chrussty, pupert and fat Adam again.

Joey Igotta-Fazzoli says:
    February 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm
    Lol. 🙂

Joey Igotta-Fazzoli says:
    February 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm
    Should drug addicts be allowed to have guns? LMAO. Of course not you idiots.

Now, I want to point out a few things: 1) the asshole who constantly constantly bastardizes our names not only accused us of jacking him, he then goes on to bastardize JIF's name for no apparent reason at all.
    2) When he bastardized JIF's name, he explicitly wrote a lie under it.

Why?

Just a guess as to why he's not doing it here: because he knows that we're not posting on the first thread, it being the troll's playground, (and yes, that includes him), so he feels free to lie, thinking there will be zero consequences. Cowards do that.

Now, you may ask yourself why I bothered to post this; the simple answer is, between the jokes bobcat and I posted, the biggest joke on CNN is the person I just posted about.

And there is no joke currently on the net funnier than he is.

February 19, 2015 at 9:46 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Ive already told him to F Off once this week. Hopefully he got the message. Besides people like him need to play by themselves always!

February 19, 2015 at 9:54 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, my...I am going to stay off that thread. He just said Hitler's death was faked, and in the same breath called people who have seen UFO's "the tinfoil hat brigade" without a trace if irony whatsoever.

I wonder how he reconciles the fact that people have seen unexplained things in the skies for centuries? Nazis with time machines?

He's expanding his theories. He must have spent his downtime writing more Nazi fanfic.

Whatever.

February 19, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Now he's denying the presence of UFO's ? Well I guess that's right since he always referred to them as IFO's. We got our knowledge of how to build them from the Nazis and they fly out of the mountains in Colorado, remember ?
        Sounds like another sequel for Witch Mountain.

February 19, 2015 at 11:01 pm |
      • banasy©

No, he is still saying all of that; I just find it vastly amusing that he insists that they are all of recent vintage, when there are 14th century woodcuts depicting unexplained things in the sky.

Now we're back to Tesla and his death ray that's going to wipe out people who use 10% ethanol gasoline, shot from the Nazi technology flying saucers. Because, reasons.

February 19, 2015 at 11:24 pm |
  15. chri§§y

And i just KNOW you cant possibly be saying the biggest joke is funny? Lmao cuz that simply is just not true!

February 19, 2015 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Chrissy, not funny in an amusing way, although he provides plenty of that, albeit unintentionally.

But yes, the biggest joke here is most definitely him. If I didn't read it for myself, I would think it's somebody deliberately posting the most outrageous crap just to troll the world.

February 19, 2015 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  16. bobcat2u

Hey my friends. How goes it ? I just got back from a Chinese New Year celebration over in Biloxi. That was the coolest thing.
    Picking up on the convo, chrissy I do remember that Rainbow City commercial. I really don't remember what that was all about.
    And banasy, talking about tractors, that is what I actually learned to drive on. I used to go to my cousins farm over in Canada every summer and fall. I learned really fast how to plow the fields. I never put one in a ditch, but I did manage to run over a cow. She never gave milk again. I guess I scared it out of her one way or the udder.

February 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Did you really? I learned to drive on a 1960 Olds Delta 88. I was 13.
      We used to call it the Batmobile, lol.

February 19, 2015 at 11:12 pm | Reply
  17. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy ...Hence...he shall be called from this day forward as...The King of Crap!

February 19, 2015 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  18. chri§§y

K kids time for me to crash. Hope to ttyt. Gn xoxoxo

February 19, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Reply

Goodnight, Chrissy.

February 19, 2015 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  19. Philip

I fell asleep behind the wheel of a Massey-Furgeson 1100 w/multi-power when I was 14 and drove it right into irrigation canal. By the time I was 16 I had logged over 200 hours on a D8 Caterpillar. I was driving a farm truck...an old 65 Ford named "Old Blue" when I was 10,
    Lol. And many Americans take driving lessons now. Weird.

February 20, 2015 at 9:49 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Yes, I am willing to bet that thousands upon thousands still learn to drive via farm vehicles.

However, for the thousands upon thousands who don't have access to farms, Driver's Education classes in schools and actual driving schools are their only choice if they want to learn to drive.

Any many people don't drive at all, like those that live largely in urban settings.

February 20, 2015 at 11:52 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Also in some states, such as Texas, drivers ed is "mandatory" for those between the ages of 18 – 24..

February 20, 2015 at 12:40 pm |
  20. bobcat2u

A farmer drives across his field one day in his tractor, when half ways across the field the tractor breaks down. "Damn it" he said.

He sees his wife in the farm yard feeding the chickens, he catches her attention and shouts to her and signals with his hand that he needs a pair of pliers to fix the engine in his tractor.

His wife cannot hear him and raises her arms in the air to indicate this. The farmers shouts over again louder this time and signals with his hand that he needs a pair of pliers to fix his tractor.

This carries on for a while with the farmer and his wife until eventually she makes out what he is saying.

As soon as she realized what he was saying she signaled back. She put both hands on her breasts, then on her crotch and then on her backside.

The farmer looked at her with a very puzzled stare, he couldn't believe what she was doing. His wife repeated this over and over until eventually the farmer gave up and walked over to the farm yard.

He walked up to his wife very irate and shouted at her "I told you to bring me over a pair of pliers for my tractor, it was broken down"

His wife snapped back "yeah, but I told you, there was a pair in the box under the seat".

February 20, 2015 at 11:51 am | Reply
    • banasy©

This literally made me laugh out loud. Coffee on my screen now...

February 20, 2015 at 11:55 am | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Sorry 'bout that. Luckily, I had already finished my coffee.

February 20, 2015 at 11:59 am |
  21. bobcat2u

If a farmer was only able to choose between buying a cow or a tractor, what should he pick. On one hand, he would look funny riding on a cow. On the other hand, he would look funnier trying to milk a tractor.

February 20, 2015 at 11:54 am | Reply
  22. bobcat2u

A man is driving down a country road, when he spots a farmer standing in the middle of a huge field of grass. He pulls the car over to the side of the road and notices that the farmer is just standing there, doing nothing, looking at nothing. The man gets out of the car, walks all the way out to the farmer and asks him, "Ah excuse me mister, but what are you doing?" The farmer replies, "I'm trying to win a Nobel Prize." "How?" asks the man, puzzled. "Well, I heard they give the Nobel Prize . . . to people who are out standing in their field.

February 20, 2015 at 11:58 am | Reply
  23. bobcat2u

A few years ago, some folks from the PETA (People For Ethical Treatment of Animals) and the U.S. Forest Service were at a farm meeting presenting an alternative to West Virginia sheep producers for controlling the coyote population. It seems that after several years of the farmers using the tried and true methods of shooting and/or trapping the predator, the animal rights folks had a "more humane" solution. What they proposed was for the coyotes to be captured alive, the males castrated and let loose again and the population would be controlled. All of the shepherds at the meeting thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes. Finally, an old man in the back stood up, tipped his hat back and said, "Son, I don't think you understand the problem. Those coyotes ain't screwin' our sheep......they're eatin' 'em."

February 20, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  24. bobcat2u

An old farmer was walking down the path to the pond when he spotted a bullfrog. He reached down and grabbed the frog and started to put him in his pocket when the bullfrog said, "Kiss me on the lips and I will turn into a beautiful farmers wife." Again the old farmer started to put the frog in his pocket. The frog asked, "Didn't you hear what I said?" The farmer looked at the frog and said," At my age I'd rather have a talking frog."

February 20, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I literally just tried posting this joke. If wouldn't let me.

Rawr, my friend, I think we're looking at the same site.

February 20, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

GM's

February 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm |
  25. banasy©

A farmer sat down at a local bar and said, "This is a special day, I'm celebrating." "What a coincidence," said the woman next to him. I'm celebrating, too" she replied, clinking glasses with him. "What are you celebrating?" "I'm a chicken farmer, and for years all my hens were infertile, but today they're finally fertile." "What a coincidence, the woman said. For my husband and I have been trying to have a child. Today, my gynecologist told me I'm pregnant! How did your chickens become fertile?" she asked. "I switched cocks," he replied. "What a coincidence," she said.

February 20, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

And I literally started to post this one.

February 20, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  26. banasy©

A farm boy accidentally overturned his wagonload of corn. The farmer who lived nearby heard the noise and yelled over to the boy, "Hey Willis, forget your troubles. Come in and visit with us. I'll help you get the wagon up later."

"That's mighty nice of you," Willis answered, "But I don't think Pa would like me to."

"Aw come on boy," the farmer insisted.

"Well okay," the boy finally agreed, and added, "But Pa won't like it."

After a hearty dinner, Willis thanked his host. "I feel a lot better now, but I know Pa is going to be real upset."

"Don't be foolish!" the neighbor said with a smile. "By the way, where is he?"

"Under the wagon."

February 20, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  27. chri§§y

"Literally" i lmao at both of you! 😉

February 20, 2015 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  28. bobcat2u

Clyde is pas sing by Billy Bob ‘s hay barn one day when, through a gap in the door, he sees Billy Bob doing a slow and se xy strip tease in front of an old tractor.

But tocks clenched, he performs a slow spin, and gently slides off first the right strap of his overalls, followed by the left. He then hun ches his shoulders forward and in a clas sic strip tease move, lets his overalls fall down to his hips, revealing a torn and frayed plaid shirt.

Then, grabbing both sides of his shirt, he rips it apart to reveal his stained T-shirt underneath. With a final flourish, he tears the T-shirt from his body, and hurls his baseball cap onto a pile of hay.

Having seen enough, Cletus rushes in and says, “What the world’re ya doing, Billy Bob ?”

“Good grief, Clyde, ya scared the hell out of me,” says an obviously embarras sed Billy Bob.

“But me’n the wife been havin trouble lately in the bedroom d’partment, and the therapist suggested I do something se xy to a tractor.”

February 20, 2015 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  29. bobcat2u

It's still AM here, so Good Morning chrissy.

February 20, 2015 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  30. chri§§y

Heres something im finding odd. Im older than that previous poster and i remember quite well that it was REQUIRED even way back then for one to take AND pass drivers ed before you could get your drivers licence! And as that person always comments about the "dumbing down" of americans i would think the idea of "driving school" would please him!

February 20, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Same here chrissy. Back in '65 when I first got my license, we had to take a mandatory drivers ed class plus, I think it was, 90 day permit driving before trying for the license. When I took my road test, it was in a '58 Buick Special. Big, beautiful, tank of a car.

February 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Well, apparently the only "true" and "correct" way to learn how to drive is on a tractor.

Of course, different states have different requirements.

February 20, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Reply