January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,717 Responses)
  1. chri§§y

Good afternoon to you @ bobcat! You heard we are expecting a "tropical heatwave" tomorrow didnt you? We might actually make it UP to the freezing point! Lol

February 20, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Damn it boy. Time to pull out the grillin' equipment and bermuda shorts. Woo Hoo !!!

February 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Im even considering moving to Alaska, which has consistently been warmer than here all winter.

February 20, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Lmao @ bobcat...i would advise against those shorts! And stick with the Foreman grill ok? Lol

February 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

An ancient Greek walks into his tailor's shop with a torn pair of pants.

"Euripides?" Asks the tailor.

"Yeah, Eumenides?" Replies the man.

February 20, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Apologies to my wonderful Greek family and friends.

The Greek god Zeus was flying over a Greek island and noticed a naked woman washing herself, so he swooped down and made love to her.

Then he said, "In 9 months you shall have a child and you shall call him Hercules!"

And the woman replied, "In 9 days you shall have a rash and you shall call it herpes."

February 20, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Double D'oh. That's funny though.

February 20, 2015 at 1:44 pm |
  5. bobcat2u

An old man decides to go into town one day to run some errands. On the way back, his wife calls his cell phone.

"Look out honey, I just saw on the news that there's a car driving the wrong way on the interstate."

"Not just one car, they all are!"

February 20, 2015 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  6. bobcat2u

IN most jokes about drowning, when people call on their respective gods for help, Hindu deities come off poorly. Sita Ram Goel, editor of Voice of India and an important mouthpiece of Hindu opinion, rectifies the balance:
    Three men – a Sikh, a Musilm and a Hindu – jumped into the sea from a boat which was sinking. None of them knew swimming. So all of them invoked their deities for help. The Sikh cried for Satguru. But the name applied to ten gurus, and they got into an argument as to which one was being invoked. Meanwhile, the poor Sikh sank to the bottom of the sea. The Muslim cried to Allah. But Allah was bound by his own undertaking that He would save Momins only on the Day of Judgement which was still far off. So the hapless Muslim went down. The Hindu had only to utter one of the several divine names he knew and as every divine name in Hindu theology is shared in common by thirty-three crore gods, all of them rushed to his rescue. He alone survived to tell the story.

February 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  7. chri§§y

@ banasy...question for you. When trying to access my email i keep getting a message that the certificate is missing so does that mean my email has been hacked???

February 20, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

No; I sent you a link explaining.

February 20, 2015 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y

Got it thx. Ive decided a new phone is in order after i nearly smashed this one. Needless to say i still cannot access my email but thank you. If my nephew comes over he will have way more patience than i. Lol

February 20, 2015 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  9. chri§§y

And i bet none of you can guess what my first experience driving was! Lol in fact i would bet big money on it! 😉

February 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Let me take a crack at it. You had one of those pink Barbie battery powered cars. And a life size Ken to ride with you.

February 21, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  10. bobcat2u

A man was driving down a country lane when his car ground to a halt.

As he lifted the hood to study the engine, a brown and white cow from an adjoining field lumbered over to the car and stuck her head under the hood next to the man's.

After a moment or two, the cow turned to the man and said: "Looks like a dodgy carburettor to me." Then she walked back into the field and resumed her grazing.

Amazed, the man walked up to the farmhouse and asked the farmer: "Is that your cow in the field?"

"The brown and white one? Yes, that's old Buttercup."

"Well," continued the man, "my car was broken down, and she just said: 'Looks like a dodgy carburetor to me.'"

The farmer shook his head and said: "Don't mind old Buttercup. She don't know a thing about cars."

February 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  11. bobcat2u

A car was speeding along the road when it suddenly crashed through the guard rail, rolled down a cliff, bounced off a tree and landed upside down in a gully, wheels spinning wildly.

As the driver clambered dazed from the wreckage, a passer-by asked: "Are you drunk?"

"Of course," said the motorist. "What do you think I am – a stunt driver?"

February 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  12. bobcat2u

While working on a car, a mechanic accidentally swallowed some brake fluid. To his surprise, he quite like the taste.

The next day he decided to have another swig and enjoyed it so much that he told his friend.

His friend said: "You shouldn't be drinking brake fluid. It's bad for you."

But the mechanic was becoming hooked, each day increasing his intake of brake fluid. His friend became seriously concerned.

"You've got to give it up," he insisted. "Brake fluid is poisonous."

"Don't worry," said the mechanic. "I can stop anytime."

February 21, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  13. bobcat2u

Although he had hardly ever driven in his life, a man always dreamed of owning a sports car, so when he inherited a large sum of money from a dead relative, he headed straight for the car showroom and bought himself a Porsche. Within half an hour he was on a quiet country road putting his new car through its paces. Faster and faster he went until suddenly, at top speed, there was an almighty bang and smoke began pouring from the engine.

Towed back home, he immediately called the car salesman and told him what had happened. The salesman was at a loss for an explanation but, because the customer was so wealthy, he agreed to swap the Porsche for a Lotus. The next day, the man took out on its first run, but as he hit 100 mph, the same thing happened. The car juddered to a sudden halt and the engine exploded.

Highly dissatisfied, the man phoned the car salesman once again and told him what had happened. Eventually the salesman agreed to exchange the Lotus for a Ferrari, but only on condition that he joined the customer on a test drive to see what the problem was.

Together they set off into the country. Soon the customer was picking up speed and going through the gears from fourth to fifth and up to sixth. As he accelerated still more, the car suddenly shook violently and the engine went bang.

"What did you do?" asked the salesman, shaken.

"Well," said the driver, "I was going faster and faster, and I ran out of numbered gears. So I put it into R for 'Race'."

February 21, 2015 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Lololololol! Not even close @ bobcat!

February 21, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y

I am quite surprised that you think i was a barbie doll kinda girl though! My dad wouldve got a good laugh out of that lmao!

February 21, 2015 at 1:56 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I was just being my crazy self chrissy. What I really see in you, is a woman who don't take no chit from no one. But I figured I'd go out on a limb, even though I know it's gonna break.

February 21, 2015 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  16. chri§§y

Lmao never fear @ bobcat...i will catch you! Lol actually my fave when i was a kid was lincoln logs, remember them? We didnt have many toys. And you are talking about the new and improved me! Not so very long ago i wouldnt have said sh!t if i had a mouthful! Seriously!

February 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Oh yeah, I remember the Lincoln Logs. But we were so poor, we had to gather up twigs from the chestnut trees. We called them Chesters Chips. We made our own fun back in the day. We used to play table hockey, using bottle caps and pencils. Tiddly Winks, using bottle caps. I hadn't really thought about it, but bottle caps were pretty versatile back then.
      And I'm for you on your new improved self. Same with me, I used to be "too" nice. Now, I'm still willing to go the distance for you, but it's no longer a one way street. I can be the best friend ever, but crap me once, and done.

February 21, 2015 at 2:52 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Supposed to be "And I'm proud for you". Fingers got to going faster on the keys than my brain could keep up with.

February 21, 2015 at 2:55 pm |
  17. chri§§y

Lol thank you my dear friend and very much appreciated! I like the new and improved me much better too! Funny how i can trust people that ive ever not actually met more than those who claim theyve my best interest at heart isnt it! Those very ones are the ones ive discovered i should trust the least! And yea i gotcha on the "being to poor for real toys," most of our toys were made by my dad. Thats why i know he is up there now lol about the barbie thing!

February 21, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I concur also with the trust issues. Like with you and banasy, I don't know you guys from atom ant on the personal level, yet I feel like I "know" you. Make sense ?

February 21, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  18. chri§§y

Speaking of those bottle caps...i remember well a birthday present my dad made me when i was 6. He was a commercial fisherman at the time so ya know EVERY evening we had tons of fish to clean. Anyway he made me my very own fish scaler with a strip of wood with bottle caps on it! I didnt talk to him for a week lmao!!!

February 21, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Damn good idea for a fish scaler though.

February 21, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  19. bobcat2u

Got to go for now my friend. I'll holler atcha later.

February 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y

Totally makes sense to me...because it was you, banasy and kenney that i was referring to in the first place! 😉 and yea ttyl gator!

February 21, 2015 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  21. chri§§y

Lmao...scared y'all with that big bet challenge huh?

February 22, 2015 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • banasy©

A tractor? Lmao.

February 22, 2015 at 11:48 am | Reply
  22. chri§§y

Lmao nope!

February 22, 2015 at 11:56 am | Reply
  23. chri§§y

Next guess....

February 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  24. chri§§y

Ya know whats funny? The one that knows me the least will probably be the first to guess!

February 22, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  25. chri§§y

Well maybe not now that i dropped that "clue" lmao!

February 22, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  26. banasy©

They absolutely will not let me post my guesses.

A pickup truck?
    A 63 R a m b l e r with a manual shift on the steering column? (A friend had that.$
    A he a r s e?
    A b a c k h o e?

February 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  27. chri§§y

Lmao nope, nope, nope and nope!

February 22, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

We'll, I am out of guesses. There are literally millions of vehicles to choose from.

February 22, 2015 at 2:16 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

A motorcycle?

February 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm |
  28. chri§§y

Ok assuming we are speaking of vehicles requiring a licence correct? If so...it was a 350 Yamaha hahaha! If not it woulda been my dads fishing boat on Lake Huron first, and then a snowmobile and THEN my motorcycle! Lmao

February 22, 2015 at 2:26 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I almost said boat, I was going in the assumption that we were talking about land vehicles, lmao.

So I finally got it right. Sort of.

February 22, 2015 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  29. chri§§y

Lmao! Yea but i am curious to the one guess, that for some reason CNN wont let me post...do you REALLY think i would ever drive a h e A rse? Lol i would guess that would be more up Philips alley than mine. Lol

February 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Not you, personally, but I knew a girl who actually did learn how to drive using a hearse. Family business. So I just threw it out there.

I always wondered if that was actually their family car...

February 22, 2015 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  30. chri§§y

Who btw, i was beginning to think, was going to be the first to guess lmao! Yup i was always a rebel...a silent one...but a rebel nonetheless! Lmao. Plus it was much cheaper on gas!

February 22, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Reply