January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. chri§§y

Oh! And of course James Dean may have had a little something to do with that. Him and my highschool sweetheart who also drove a motorcycle. Lmao!

February 22, 2015 at 3:15 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I don't like motorcycles. I just never have. They don't hold any appeal to me at all.
      But, rock on, lil rebel.

February 22, 2015 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Lol your friends last name wasnt Adams was it? Just kidding! And i got rid of the motorcycle about a year before i met my husband and purchased a ford mustang convertable! And havent been on a bike since. Not kid safe lmao.

February 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol, no, it wasn't Addams. What year Mustang?

And I did something exceedingly stupid. I tried to engage Philip in conversation.
      When will I learn? As expected, it escalated into his patented Philip "my way is correct, you're a old fat hag" flowery conversation that he is so well-known for because he is a shitty debater that constantly switches topics mid convo.

Truly, it's like debating Hamsta all over again.

February 22, 2015 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Oh boy! Still SOS eh? Im not surprised. In fact i suspect he will stay that way for the rest of his life. He hates women @ banasy and nothing will ever change that. Sad that it is to the degree that he cant even converse with them tho. In fact hamsta was much easier to talk to i think but thats only my opinion. Oh and the mustang was a 71. Lol

February 22, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

A 71? Very cool. I had a friend who had a 71 Fastback Mach I. Absolutely cool car.

And I meant Hamsta changing subjects 12 times within one post. And then insulting me because I answered something 5 posts back and didn't read his mind.

February 22, 2015 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

Lmao i dont read minds either...but i assure you when i start....i wont be starting with that one! Thats just one scarey thought there. But i here ya...you made the effort and thats what counts! Been there, done that, and still have the tshirt to prove it! I just wont make the effort again! When i told him to F Off the other day i was dead serious!

February 22, 2015 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yes, I tried, and I'm done.

Having dealt with women haters before, I can tell you that I will not expend anymore effort on such a person. (He's back to victim blaming women rape victims for the crimes perpetrated against them. Then ran away from the questions I asked of him when he claimed God sanctions such victim blaming; he claims God said that women who don't report their rapes are disobeying His laws, and that God will punish these women. Nonsense.)

Really, I can't wait for this blog to close down; I truly cannot wait for the day when I do not have to deal with the vitriolic hatred of the two most profoundly untreated mentally ill people I have ever come across.

February 22, 2015 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y

I just reread my previous post to you @ banasy and i apologise i meant 74 not 71. And dang i loved that car. Lol

February 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Ah, the redesign that made it smaller. So it was a Mustang II? If it was a convertable, someone customized it that way. They didn't offer it in 74....what color was it? I once saw a real pretty customized one that was a metallic cobalt blue with a white convertable top.

Lol, we used to call them Rustangs where I used to work at the auto parts store. And of course Found On Roads Dead for Ford. I crack up that today's are going back stylistically to the late 60's early 70's versions. Some things just come full circle.

February 22, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Reply
  6. chri§§y

Too many "mommy issues" i suspect! Doesnt matter. Hes a grown ass man...either get over it or get help! I aint your mommy and i aint payin for her sins! Ya know what i mean?
    And yea it was a red mustang, had some wear and tear but i loved it anyway!

February 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  7. chri§§y

Ya know i ALWAYS wondered about THAT! Cuz the damn thing leaked whenever it rained. But they did a pretty good job. Explains why it was repainted too.

February 22, 2015 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y

I just watched an awesome movie with Will Smith called Enemy of the State! Sure gives ya a fairly good idea about our wonderful governmental idiots and that great branch called the NSA. And yea i KNOW its just a movie...but its pretty freakin realistic! Particularly the crooked portrayal of a cpl senators! Strong ring of truth to it!

February 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  9. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy...my brother in law just told me to tell you "you're pretty smart for a girl" lmao! I just got off the phone with him as it was his best friend i got that tired lookin old mustang from. And he said yes indeed they did the work theirselves! But that i shouldnt condemn that car cuz they DID work at the Ford Plant when they did it so it wasnt foreign material. Lol and of course he still apologised for the leaks cuz he remembered me always complainin about em.

February 22, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lmao, "pretty smart for a girl"...that cracks me up. I worked at an auto parts store in the early 80's, and the macho men *always* underestimated me. It was a lot of fun.

I've had a few cars that I loved loved loved and were sorry to see go. I understand completely.

February 23, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  10. bobcat2u

There was a young fellow who was quite inventive and
    was always trying out new things. One day he thought
    he'd see just how fast a bicycle could go before it
    became uncontrollable. He asked his friend, who owned
    an old Mustang, if he could tie his bike to the bumper
    of his car to test his theory. His friend said,
    "Sure."
    So the young man tied his bike to the back of the car
    and said to his friend:
    "I'll ring my bike bell once if I want you to go
    faster, twice if I want you maintain speed, and
    repeatedly if I want you to slow down."
    With that, off they went. Things were going pretty
    well, with the car driver slowly speeding up to well
    over 60 mph. The young fellow on the bike was handling
    the speed just fine. But, all of sudden, a black
    Corvette came up beside them and before you knew it
    the fellow driving the Mustang forgot all about the
    fellow on the bike and took to drag racing the
    Corvette.
    A little further down the road sat Officer John in his
    police cruiser, radar gun at the ready. He heard the
    two cars before his radar flashed 105 mph.
    He called into headquarters on his radio: "Hey, you
    guys aren't going to believe this, but there's a
    Corvette and a Mustang racing out here on Highway 3,
    and there's a guy on a bike ringing his bell and
    waving his arms trying to pass them!"

February 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Lolololol...@bobcat...now THAT was absolutely precious!!! Thank you!

February 22, 2015 at 11:18 pm | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Lmao i am comparing that to the performance of Lady Gaga's performance of Julie Andrews tonite on the Oscar's ...as in "who woulda ever thunk it" lmao!

February 22, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Gaga have a pretty good voice; her duets with Tony Bennet is a testament to that.

February 23, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  13. bobcat2u

A squirrel is living in a pine tree, when one day it starts to shake and rock.

So he looks outside and he sees a large elephant trying to climb up the tree.

"What the hell!" the squirrel exclaims. "What the hell do you think you're doing climbing up this tree?!"

The elephant responds. "I'm climbing up here to eat pears."

The squirrel is befuddled. "You moron! This is a pine tree! There are no pears!"

The elephants stares at him for a moment before replying, "I know. I brought my own."

February 23, 2015 at 11:33 am | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Yea she does...i dont ever watch those award shows, i just happened to click on that channel for the news and was totally stunned to see her looking AND sounding the way she did. You know she is always trying to appear outrageous so it was quite the shock. As for my brother in law, forgive that comment. Lmao he is an ex biker so of course girls are the weaker gender in his view. But hes a good guy...he in fact is the one who showed me how to defend myself against pimp dummy so hes always gonna be a good guy in my eyes!

February 23, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, the comment cracked me up. I've run across his type before; being physically weaker doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to intelligence.
      I am physically weaker than most men. I am also smarter than many, too...so it balances out. 😀

February 23, 2015 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  15. bobcat2u

Speaking of bikers : (chrissy tell your brother in law not to hunt me down)

There were two guys riding motorcycles on a windy afternoon. One of the guys was complaining because the cold air was blowing into his shirt. His buddy told him to turn his jacket around, so that the collar of the jacket would be at his neck. That way no air could get into his shirt. So that is what he did.

After riding for a while the two men came up on a curve. They were going too fast and they crashed. Witnesses called 911 and rushed to the motorcyclists aid.

When the police arrived, they were doing a report. The police asked a witness if both of the men were deceased when they got to the scene.

"No" the man replied, "The one man was still alive, but by the time we got his head turned around to where it was supposed to be, he was dead!

February 23, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  16. banasy©

HTML fail, and email fail. Got a different icon just because I put an "n" instead of an "m" in com.

Anyway, I'm dying of laughter at something I just read. A commenter on another site I frequent said that there are people who deny the existence of the Moon. Not the Moon landing, the MOON itself.

I looked it up.
    This is actually a thing.
    I cracked up. The lunatic (pun intended) fringe, indeed.

February 23, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Betcha our friend is the leader of that group.

February 23, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Trust me, I looked for his byline.

I truly laughed. I didn't get very far, but apparently one of the reasons is that it wasn't photographed prior to photography being actually, you know, invented. After I read that, I started wondering if he had grown up eating lead paint chips.

I have to wonder if these people are trolling the world. I really do. I double checked to see if it was an Onion article.

February 23, 2015 at 1:54 pm |
      • bobcat2u

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what is their explanation for that white round thingy in the sky at night ?

February 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm |

Hologram.

February 23, 2015 at 3:22 pm |
      • banasy©

Here you go, guys; http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm

Take note of the word "Mad".

I haven't even begun to look at his main page. I cracked up enough at just this one.

February 23, 2015 at 3:29 pm |
      • banasy©

Further investigation reveals that this site is satirical, same as The Onion.

I cannot tell you how profoundly relieved I am.

Thank you, Baby Jesus, thank you.

February 23, 2015 at 4:31 pm |
  17. bobcat2u

Arthur Davidson, of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Corporation died and went to Heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is you can hang out with anyone you want in heaven".

Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out with God." St. Peter took Arthur to the throne room, and introduced him to God.

Arthur then asked God, "Hey, aren't you the inventor of woman?" God said, "Oh, yes." "Well," said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention:

There is too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion.
    It chatters constantly at high speeds.
    Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much.
    The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust, and finally,
    The maintenance costs are outrageous."

"Hmmm, you may have some good points there," replied God, "hold on." God went to his celestial Super Computer, typed in a few words and waited for the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it.

"Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed," God said to Arthur, "but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention then yours".

February 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  18. chri§§y

Lmao @ bobcat...did i forget to mention that hes OLD? Lmao. No worries anyway, he is one of my biggest supportors. I think hes still feeling guilty that he didnt teach me those self defence lessons before my marriage. But he had no idea just as i didnt, that i was gonna need them. Plus hes a jokester like you so im quite certain he would never be offended by your jokes. Btw he looked like Cheech back in the day. Lol kinda acted like him too!

February 23, 2015 at 2:22 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I always liked Cheech better of the two, lol. I went as Sister Mary Elephant to a couple of Halloween parties. The first one was in the 70's and I won best costume. The last time was just a couple of years ago and I won a prize for most original. (25 bucks and a bottle of wine, respectively.)

Sister Mary Elephant was quite good for me.

February 23, 2015 at 2:35 pm | Reply
  19. chri§§y

Lmao @ banasy...dont it make you kinda wonder how many light years away their true orbit is? And what is the name of this "moonless" planet they fell from? They really gotta do something about these identified and unidentified space ships dumping their garbage here!!

February 23, 2015 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y

Lol hologram...that was a good answer!

February 23, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

If you can, check it out. It is hilarious.

February 23, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I am relieved that I found it hilarious because it is supposed to be.

Phew.

February 23, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  21. chri§§y

Lol...Mad like in Mad magazine then. Good!

February 23, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I am going to look further to see if there are anyone who actually believes that the moon is a hoax of some sort. I don't doubt there are...I just want to know where they're located so I can stay far, far away. That site is pretty funny, though...

February 23, 2015 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  22. chri§§y

And i apologise that it takes so long for me to respond but it is beyond my control. The road becomming too traveled as is the case once again. I know you both understand what im saying.

February 23, 2015 at 5:17 pm | Reply

Again?
      Three doors down should be a better fit...

In checking out The Mad Revisionist further, I have concluded this guy is actually brilliant.

The Mad Revisionist presents "a series of essays dedicated to manufacturing the truth through the discarding of evidence."

Lololol.

February 23, 2015 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  23. chri§§y

Gotcha thanks lol.

February 23, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  24. bobcat2u

An Engineer was unemployed for long time. He could not find a job so he opened a medical clinic and puts a sign up outside: "Get your treatment for $500, if not treated get back $1,000."

One Doctor thinks this is a good opportunity to earn $1,000 and goes to his clinic.

Doctor: "I have lost taste in my mouth."

Engineer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."

Doctor: "This is Gasoline!"

Engineer: "Congratulations! You've got your taste back. That will be $500."

The Doctor gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days later to recover his money.

Doctor: "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."

Doctor: "But that is Gasoline!"

Engineer: "Congratulations! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."

The Doctor leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.

Doctor: "My eyesight has become weak."

Engineer: "Well, I don't have any medicine for this. Take this $1,000."

Doctor: "But this is $500..."

Engineer: "Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500."

February 24, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Reply

This.
      Is.
      Maginficent.

February 24, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  25. chri§§y

Awesomeness @ bobcat...lmao! I read that to my doctor and he busted up and said "damn engineers think they are so smart!" lmfao!

February 24, 2015 at 4:29 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I laughed when a friend of mine told her new doctor she was allergic to acetylsalicylic acid, and he bitched her out for using a "medical term" instead of "aspirin". (She has chronic illnesses and has been using this term for years.)

He said she was acting "uppity". He was not her doctor long, lol.

February 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

A chemist walks into a pharmacy and asks the pharmacist, "Do you have any acetylsalicylic acid?"

"You mean aspirin?" asked the pharmacist.

"That's it, I can never remember that word."

February 24, 2015 at 8:21 pm |
      • bobcat2u

A husband walks into the bedroom holding two aspirin and a glass of water.

His wife asks, "What's that for?" "It's for your headache." "I don't have a headache."

He replies, "Gotcha!"

February 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm |
  26. bobcat2u

A man with a winking problem is applying for a position as a sales representative for a large firm. The interviewer looks over his papers and says, "This is phenomenal. You've graduated from the best schools; your recommendations are wonderful, and your experience is unparalleled. Normally, we'd hire you without a second thought. However, a sales representative has a highly visible position, and we're afraid that your constant winking will scare off potential customers. I'm sorry....we can't hire you."

"But wait," he said. "If I take two aspirin, I'll stop winking!"

"Really? Great! Show me!"

So the applicant reaches into his jacket pocket and begins pulling out all sorts of condoms: red condoms, blue condoms, ribbed condoms, flavored condoms; finally, at the bottom, he finds a packet of aspirin. He tears it open, swallows the pills, and stops winking.

"Well," said the interviewer, "that's all well and good, but this is a respectable company, and we will not have our employees womanizing all over the country!"

"Womanizing? What do you mean? I'm a happily married man!"

"Well then, how do you explain all these condoms?"

"Oh, that," he sighed. "Have you ever walked into a pharmacy, winking, and asked for aspirin?"

February 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm | Reply

That is hilarious!

February 24, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Reply
  27. bobcat2u

In a company there are two employees, Jack and Jill. Both have been model
    employees and have been much valued by the firm. However, due to financial
    setbacks, the company is forced to let one of them go. But which one?
    The boss decides on a plan. He will watch Jack closely for one day,
    monitoring his performance. The next day, he will similarly scrutinize
    Jill. Then he will announce which one he is going to keep and which one
    will have to be fired.
    The first day, Jack comes in early. He works hard all morning, not even
    taking a coffee break. He skips lunch. He works hard all afternoon,
    doesn't spend any time on the phone, and leaves late.
    Noticing this, the boss begins to think, "If they're both such diligent
    workers, the choice is going to be even harder."
    The next day, Jill comes in late, complaining of a headache. She takes some
    aspirin and hangs out at the water fountain talking to her friends. She
    takes an extra long coffee break. She leaves early for lunch, and comes
    back late. She's unproductive in the afternoon, spending much of her time
    calling her friends and telling them how miserable she feels. She takes
    some more aspirin and leaves early.
    The boss takes note of this. His mind is made up.
    So the next day, the boss calls Jill into his office. He tells her, "Jill,
    I am afraid I either have to lay you or Jack off."
    And she replies, "Well, you're going to have to jack off because I've got
    a headache."

February 24, 2015 at 8:34 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Well, we know who that boss ISN'T...lmao.

February 24, 2015 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  28. bobcat2u

Ms. Smith had a headache. So, she went to the pharmacy and asked for aspirins. However, she couldn't pronounce aspirins–she pronounced them as sburns. The pharmacist figured out what she meant and got them for her.

On the bus home she tried to take two aspirins. Unfortunately, she dropped the bottle of aspirin as she opened the lid and the pills scattered all over the floor. She was horrified about it. The aspirins were everywhere. She started screaming, "My as s-burns, my as s-burns!" After a few minutes the bus driver, not seeing the aspirins all over the floor and not knowing about her little speech impediment, screamed at her, "Then stick it out the window and shut up!"

February 24, 2015 at 8:38 pm | Reply
  29. chri§§y

Total awesomeness you guys! I CANNOT wait to read these new ones to him! He always gets a charge out of them and since im always there for hours, by the time he makes it to see me im knee deep in bloghahaheaven! Lmao!

February 24, 2015 at 11:03 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Did we tell him the one about the proctologist ? If not :

A few days before his proctological exam, a one-eyed man accidentally swallowed his glass eye. He was worried for a while, but there were no ill effects, so he forgot about it.

Once he was in the doctor's office, the man followed his instructions, undressed and bent over. The first thing the proctologist saw when he looked up the man's butt was that glass eye staring right back at him! "You know," said the doctor, "you really have to learn to trust me."

February 24, 2015 at 11:27 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

This is an oldie, but it never fails to make me smile...

February 24, 2015 at 11:38 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Yeah, I think it's older than me. Still makes me chuckle. Remember ma and pa over on TJI ? They didn't care for my jokes, but they said this one made them laugh. A little something for everyone.

February 24, 2015 at 11:48 pm |
      • banasy©

Lol, yeah, I remember them. Long time ago when TJI was still fun.

February 25, 2015 at 1:04 pm |
  30. chri§§y

Lmao omg @ bobcat i DO remember them! And if i recall they didnt like a whole lot of things. But they were kinda funny theirselves once in awhile even tho im equally sure they didnt wanta be. And yep hes gonna love these jokes. Im probably gonna have to make posters for him with them!

February 25, 2015 at 12:27 am | Reply