January 18th, 2015

Military intervention not solution to terrorist threat

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The Paris terror attacks were barbaric but also startling, leading many to ask what could be done to prevent this kind of terrorism in the future.

Well, one man has a clear answer. "That attack you saw in Paris? You'll see an attack in the United States," Senator John McCain told the New York Times. Elaborating on how to stop this from happening, he explained to the Times and to CNN that it would require a more aggressive American military strategy across the greater Middle East, with a no-fly zone and ground troops in Syria and more troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This theory was sometimes described during the Iraq war as, "We fight them there so we don't have to fight them here."

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. banasy©

Don't read the first blog. It's nothing but a lonely hearts diary of pervertedness there. This doesn't stop our names be mentioned there constantly, though....same as it ever was.

February 25, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  2. chri§§y

I cant pull up the first blog even not that i care too lol.

February 25, 2015 at 7:17 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I know, Chrissy. You should be profoundly grateful.

February 25, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy, trust me i am! Two idiots too many on there if you ask me!

February 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Eh, you've read it all before. Nothing new there at all.

Rawr rarely tells the same joke twice. Wish that could be said of the material on that first blog. It's like the movie "Groundhog Day", there.

February 26, 2015 at 10:57 am | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

A lady gets on a public bus. Without saying a word, she gestures to the bus driver by sticking
    her thumb on her nose and waving her fingers at the driver.

The driver acknowledges the lady, turns to her and uses both hands in the same type of gesture
    and waves all his fingers at her.

The woman holds her right arm out at the driver and chops at it a few times with her left hand.

Then the driver puts his left hand on his right bicep and jerks his right arm up in a fist at her.

The woman then cups both of her hands under her breasts and lifts gently.

So the driver places both of his hands at his crotch and gently lifts up.

Then the woman frowns, runs a finger up between her derriere, and gets off the bus.

There is another woman sitting in the front row of the bus who witnessed the whole exchange.
    She speaks up, "That was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen on a public bus! What the
    hell were you doing?"

"Listen lady," states the gruff bus driver, "the lady that got on the bus before was a deaf-mute.
    She asked me if the bus went to 5th Street. I said no, we go to 10th Street. She asked if we
    make many stops. I told her that this was the express. She asked if we go by the dairy, and
    I told her we go by the ballpark. She said "Sh!t , I'm on the wrong bus!" and got off."

February 26, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  5. bobcat2u

Pig farmers have never done well in the United States. Most Americans prefer beef to pork. Hamburger is an American favorite but contains no ham. The porcine raisers were hopeful to see a significant increase in their business after the scares about health over beef, but most of the benefits had gone to the poultry and fish industries, Sale of ham and bacon remained virtually unchanged.
    Because of this, The National Porcine Association hired a major Madison Avenue advertising firm to boost sale of pork products. They decided on an intensive campaign to saturate magazines television and radio with ads urging people to eat pork patties.
    The campaign was given an extra boost when Congress was convinced to designate the second of February as the day when every family would be urged to eat pork sausage. That day would be celebrated nationally, of course, as. .. Ground Hog Day.

February 26, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  6. bobcat2u

A young lawyer who had taken over his father's practice rushed home totally elated.

"Dad, listen, you aren't going to believe this," he said to his father. "I've finally settled that old Whitmore suit."

"Settled it!" bellowed his father. "You bumbling idiot! We've been living off of that money for over five years now!"

February 26, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  7. bobcat2u

A construction site boss was interviewing men for a job, when along came Boudreaux. The boss thought to himself, "I'm not hiring that lazy Cajun," so he decided to set a test for Boudreaux hoping he wouldn't be able to answer the questions and he'd be able to refuse him the job without getting into an argument.

The first question was, "Without using numbers, represent the number 9."

Boudreaux says, "Dat's easy," and proceeds to draw three trees.

The boss says, "What the hell is that?"

Boudreaux says, "Tree' n tree' n tree makes nine."

"Fair enough," says the boss. "Second question, same rules, but represent 99."

Boudreaux stares into space for a while, then makes a smudge on each tree. "Der ya go sir," he says.

The boss scratches his head and asks, "How on earth do you get that to represent 99?"

Boudreaux answers, "Each tree is dirty now, so it's dirty tree' n dirty tree' n dirty tree – dat's 99."

The boss is getting worried he's going to have to hire Boudreaux so he says, "All right, question number 3. Same rules again, but this time represent the number 100."

Boudreaux stares into space again, then he shouts, "I got it!" He makes a little mark at the base of each tree and says, "Der ya go sir – 100."

The boss looks at Boudreaux's attempt and thinks, "Ha! Got him this time." He then tells Boudreaux, "Go on Boudreaux, you must be crazy if you think that represents a hundred!"

Boudreaux leans forward and points to the little marks at the tree bases and says, "A little dog comes along and craps by each tree, so now ya got dirty tree an' a turd, dirty tree an' a turd, and dirty tree an' a turd, which makes 100. When do I start my job?"

February 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y

So THATS how they do sign language now? Who knew lmao!

February 26, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Sounds like sound language in Italian.

Btw, what did the doc have to say about your BP and all ?

February 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Meant, sound like "sign" language. Derp

February 26, 2015 at 3:02 pm |
  9. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat i guess you didnt catch the 3 doors down clue the other day huh? Took me a bit to but i posted on there what he said.

February 26, 2015 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Yeah chrissy, that one got past me. Understood and concerned now.

February 26, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Reply
  10. Philip MC

Troops experiencing RDV induced trauma are expedited to the front of long Veterans Hospital lines and VA drug money MD’s prescribe them drugs not FDA approved for treating trauma victims. Drugs proven by over 500 MD's to cause suicidal thoughts and tendencies.
    Since VA drug money MD's began doing this suicide has been the number one killer of troops even according to CBS news if you care to Google it. Dead troops = less troops receiving money from our national defense budget that Pentagon officials steal from.

February 26, 2015 at 9:26 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You do not know what RDV's even are, so, do be quiet.

February 27, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  11. bobsnotR2D2

What's the difference between Pizza and Jews?
    Pizza comes out of the oven in one piece.

February 26, 2015 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  12. bobsnotR2D2

How many Jews served in Hitler's army?
    Over 150 thousand. Some were even commanders.

February 26, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

How many people are stuck on the 1940's? One. You.

February 27, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  13. bobsnotR2D2

How many Christians voted for and served Adolph Hitler rather than remaining faithful to the lord?
    About 70 million.

February 26, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat...by the looks of things...it was just in the nick of time too! Lmao

February 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Amen to that chrissy.

February 26, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  15. bobsnob3PO

What time do the fantabulous 3 wake up I wonder. Check that. 4. There is Adam to consider.

February 27, 2015 at 9:00 am | Reply
    • banasy©

You should be the last one complaining about Afam; you are just as repetitive and disruptive as he is.

February 27, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  16. bobsnob3PO

Because of the drought we put water-saver shower heads on our VFD fire hoses. Now I get to hold the hose longer. 🙂

February 27, 2015 at 9:15 am | Reply
    • banasy©

You probably shouldn't comment on things you have no understanding of.

February 27, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Reply
      • Old Driller

It was an original joke, Donna. Imagine if you took Bob's copy/pastes seriously. Honestly. No matter what I say you cherry pick it. You ignore the thrust of my comments and pick on tiny little side notes you find fault with. And you lost thus debate hands-down: That openly gay priest caught butt raping younger males is a statutory rapist. Not a pedophile. Duh.

February 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm |
      • banasy©

Jokes are meant to be funny. It is abundantly clear that you don't know what the definition of joke is, either. Merely putting a bunch if words together doesn't qualify, but I am unsurprised that you think it is

You probably shouldn't comment on something you have no knowledge of.

See, BC was a First Responder. I know you don't understand what that is, any more than you understand what RD is.

You haven't won a debate against me yet. You run away when you cannot answer.

You assert, I refute, you run away or change the subject.

This coversation isn't about priests; changing the goalposts is considered a diversionary tactic, and that's why you lose your debates. If this is what you considered "winning", you need to revisited what the word debate means; you do not know the definition of that, either.

Duh

February 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm |
      • Fat lazy Adam

The same things aren't funny to the same people, it's always been that way.
        For example, when I copy jokes that Bob told years ago and post them here, though you laughed originally you scold me for telling them. Or say they aren't funny.

February 27, 2015 at 2:44 pm |
      • banasy©

What the hell are you talking about now? If you post a funny joke, I'll laugh. If you make up a "joke" that you've specifically made up to denigrate someone like you did with BC, I'll tell you that, too.

I don't post a response to all of BC's jokes, either.

He doesn't seem to whine about it; I wonder why you do.

February 27, 2015 at 2:53 pm |
  17. Strongarm Hammer &Associates

Find out if you are disabled! It's free! You could easily qualify for up to $2,642 / month even if you aren't really disabled!
    Call BR-549 today!

February 27, 2015 at 9:48 am | Reply
  18. Fat lazy Adam

Who does know exactly what's in RDVs Donna? I never heard you say anything about them before. Hardly anyone has ever even heard of them.
    Just for kicks ask your doctor what the drugs he prescribes are made out of.

February 27, 2015 at 1:52 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Look it the hell up, Philip. The information is plainly there.

Every bloody military personel knows that are designated for special forces know RDV's are. I don't think you even know what rapid deployment is.

And I know precisely what the one medication I take daily to stay alive is made of. I don't give a shi t about moronic people too stupid to ask their doctor what medicine is being prescribed is. The key is to educate the consumer, not eliminate the medicine because people like you say so.

Learn about statistical analysis and how to interpret averages, and then get back to me. You're wrong about nearly everything, and when I correct you, accuse me of getting upset because I don't drink your brand of Kool Aid.

I'm not upset; you exaggerate everything in your narratives, and it's ridiculous. On the offchamce that someone may take your posts seriously, the cireect data needs to be stated.

Understand?

February 27, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  19. Old Driller

Next @banasy is going to argue with me about what it takes to drill a hole 4 miles into the ground without contaminating the aquifer or about the real reasons men have drilled for oil.

February 27, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Um, no-I freely admit that I couldn't do that job. Nor do I care that you can.

February 27, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Reply
      • Old Driller

Ya. I know. Oilmen risk their lives daily on YOUR ACCOUNT and nobody gives a rats ass about us. But they worship firemen. Go figure.

February 27, 2015 at 2:20 pm |
      • banasy©

I am supposed to feel sorry for you because you know how to drill?

Uh, no.

February 27, 2015 at 2:25 pm |
      • Fat lazy Adam

No. You should be grateful to Old Drillers that risked life and limb so you could have gasoline and well stocked pharmacies. More men die drilling for you than die fighting fires for you. Far more. You ungrateful hag.

February 27, 2015 at 2:37 pm |

Your logic is flawed.

I don't care that you know how to drill. You are in no way, shape, or form unique.

I can be grateful for a group on the whole, and still not give a fig about one asshole within that group.

February 27, 2015 at 2:47 pm |
      • Barndaisy

B' b' but a book could have fallen on me or staple fingers together.

February 27, 2015 at 3:09 pm |
      • banasy©

You've made my point even clearer. Thanks!

February 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm |
  20. Old Driller

How many men who have taken RDVs have you personally spoken to @banasy? I've spoken with dozens. Just "looking it up" is not how you learn the truth.

February 27, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol. I am well acquainted with many military personnel.

I don't use them as ancedotal evidence because it's, well, ancedotal.

What does rapid deployment mean? Explain it.

Did you know that all military has to be up to date on vaccines? (But not all are given RPV's. Do you know why?)

Want to tell me why those that were supposedly given an RDV before they stepped on your supposed maglev train that's supposedly in-country?

You never answered that. Gee. I wonder why.

February 27, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    • Old Driller

The men I've spoken to all describe the effects of RDV's exactly the same:
      *Feelings of disorientation for about 12 hours
      * Inability to experiencing an erection for about 30 days
      *Becoming frightened like little boys at loud noises

Several described to me riding on that maglev train that runs underground from Denver to Virginia. But their recollections were hazy because they were RDV drugged.

February 27, 2015 at 2:26 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

All vaxxes have side affects; you have yet to show me you understand what a RDV is, much less RD.

February 27, 2015 at 2:56 pm |
  21. Old Driller

For a fact it is RDVs at the root of what caused suicide to become the number one killer of troops. No other military force in world history has ever experienced suicide killing more than enemies do. ONLY THE US MILITARY. RDVs and drugs not FDA approved for treating trauma are in fact what caused this.

February 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

For a fact you do not know what RDV's even flipping are.

You sound like another stupid anti-vaxxer pretending that there is a connection between autistic children with vaxes when there is not one scinitilla of scientific or medical evidence supporting that.

How does it feel being the new Jenny McCarthy?

February 27, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Reply
      • Philip

Lol. I had to Google Jenny McCarthy. I was thinking she was a politicians granddaughter. Lmao.
        No. That's not me being like her at all. Yeesh

February 27, 2015 at 3:32 pm |
  22. Old Driller

Back to work for me. Toodles.

February 27, 2015 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  23. bobcat2u

Wow !!! From VFD to RDV to four mile holes back to RDV to Military Suicide to Street and Biker gangs. The pace of change is dizzying to say the least.

February 27, 2015 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Lol, no kidding. It's like talking to a frenetic four-year old on a sugar high.

The master debater. Uh huh.

February 27, 2015 at 3:26 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Whew !! I sure am glad you put that de between the master and bater.

February 27, 2015 at 3:33 pm |
      • Philip

Obscene jesting. Bob's specialty.

February 27, 2015 at 3:37 pm |
      • Philip

It's like trying to get through to an overly medicated 12 year old girl who had been menstruating since she was 9.

February 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm |
      • banasy©

That you consider what BC said obscene says more about you than anything, Reverand Phelps.

And you should probably not comment about female physiology, because you don't understand that, either.

February 27, 2015 at 4:07 pm |
  24. USMC vs MS-13

Look for it on the streets of America soon. U.S. vs. Street Gangs. DHS vs crooked people in full swing already.

February 27, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  25. Philip

If Donna Banas' house caught on fire and I put it out she would sue me for water damage am sure.

February 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You'd be arrested for starting it.

February 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  26. Cobcat

A haggard old lady rides in a fancy hotel's elevator. On the second floor, a beautiful woman steps on and arrogantly says to the old lady, "Georgio, $100 an ounce."

On the next floor, an equally beautiful women steps on and says, "Chanel, $150 an ounce."

The old lady's floor approaches and as the doors open, she bends over, farts and says, "Broccoli, 49 cents a pound."

February 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  27. Cobcat

Bob spelled backwards is still Bob, he he

February 27, 2015 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Congrats. You've discovered the palindrome.

February 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  28. Gazette Newspaper

The Gazette was forced to print a retraction of an article claiming the flu virus has killed 17 children when it was learned that flu vaccines disable a child's immune system for three weeks, And that simple staph infections had killed them. Not the flu.

February 27, 2015 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

.....and? If it was wrong, they should.

February 27, 2015 at 4:11 pm | Reply
      • Phil

You missed the point. The point is flu vaccines kill children. And old people.

February 27, 2015 at 5:01 pm |
  29. chri§§y

What a freakin loon! Yup i aint missed this at all @ banasy!

February 27, 2015 at 4:21 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

The stories just get more fantastical. L Ron Hubbard has nothing on this guy.

February 27, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  30. Old Driller

No. Military intervention is what it's taking to control domestic terrorism. Gang bangers have been overwhelming FBI and local law enforcement for decades. There are now over 33,000 armed hordes of American outlaw street and biker gangs. The only thing that can possibly defeat all of them is the US Armed Forces.

February 27, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Reply