March 28th, 2011

GPS March 27, 2011: the Middle East and Malcolm Gladwell

This week Fareed shared anchor duties with The Situation Room's Gloria Borger. They brought you the latest on what's going on in world, including the Middle East unrest.

Fareed offered his take on the role of technology in revolution.  Can we really call these "Facebook revolutions" spreading throughout the Middle East? Fareed looked at the just how important technology has been in breaking the state's monopoly on information.

Malcolm Gladwell had his own take on all of this. The New York Times best selling author and New Yorker staff writer sat down with Fareed and argued that the revolution will not be tweeted.

Then, just what in the world is al Qaeda doing launching a women's magazine?

And a last look at some hand signals that might land you in hot water.

Read the transcript here.

Post by:
Topics: Economy • GPS Episodes • GPS Show • Middle East • Technology

1. authorharb

Many fractal cycles of earthquakes/tsunamis, political unrests/upheavels, fightings between countries finally leading to a world/nuclear/digital war/catastrophes/disruptions will be developing in the overall order of Asia (beginning), Africa, Europe to finally converge in America with passage of time.

PS: From my blog http://ruminations.selfdesigneduniverse.com
    Read by coupling it with the most popular post of this blog as shown on top left. If you are new preferably read all the posts following that popular post.

March 27, 2011 at 1:24 am |
  2. j. von hettlingen

Facebook and Twitter do contribute to mobilise protesters. I do think in our age of technology, a successful revolution still needs a guide. If we call this episode – the aspiration of the youth for freedom – from North Africa to the Middle East a revolution, then certainly this movement makes history. There are no Washington, Lenin, Mao and others of that ilk, that take the lead. It is a mass movement and the rebels in Libya set – ironically – an extraordinary exemple. They organise and structure themselves in a significant way. Unconsciously they are practicising some ideas advocated in the "Green Book", whose author they want to overthrow.

March 27, 2011 at 6:16 am |
  3. stefanie

so I just caught the end of a program airing here in asia going over gestures and what they mean in different cultures. The two fingered gesture that he said in China means eight actually means seven–I use these had gestures everyday to communicate with vendors, cashiers and my students so I am sure of what I am talking about

March 27, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  4. Dan D

What you said missed it on Sun. Morning
    Instant contact with many starts change immediately – USSR wouuld not have lasted 50 yr if there had been tweet-facebook.
    The people on the wall where after colaps of power & not before

March 27, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  5. Gene

Sovereignty resides in the people. The advent of IT gives people around the world to communicate better rather than to rely on the mouths of bias journalists who oftentimes protect wicked governments. Clamor for democratic principles and the attainment of liberty and freedom and the pursuit of happiness now ravaging the Middle East is a warning sign for other governments to undo corruption and suppression of individual rights. Politicians must serve the interest of their constituents
    and not their pockets and their greeds because our existence is undeniably temporary. It is social justice leaders of every
    country has to uphold for society to survive. In short, it is the common good that has to rule.

March 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  6. Joe Bates

Why is GPS being marginalized? CNN moved his time slot to 7AM before most people rise on Sundays, and then they are filling his 10AM slot with people with not nearly the the chops to cover the events in the middle east? They finally put someone on who can explain important issues internationally. and then bury him when the public needs his reporting the most. Who's running the joint anyway? Whoever it is, they are not good at what they do.

March 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Laura

100% agree. Fareed Zakaria is my favorite show on any channel at any time all week. Borger was pretty awful. Hugely disappointing to get myself up at 7 a.m. Sunday morning and not find the one news show that is consistently enlightening.

March 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Bonnie

Fareed is the single most knowledgeable and balanced voice out there. Why they would change his time slot, I can not imagine. One more reason to watch on line instead of on television.

March 29, 2011 at 2:26 am |
  7. Marc

this Malcom Gladoff is such a clown,of course there has been a dramatic effect on revolutions!

March 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  8. Herb Gray

Gloria Borger is no Fareed. She practically told her panelists what to say, what she wanted, not what they wanted.

March 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  9. david depew

Who would have guessed? Fareed is smarter on this than the very smart Malcolm Gladwell. The key to communication media in revolutions old and new is not only that they enable people to exchange messages and make plans. So Gladwell's idea that that has always gone on is not to the point. Means of communication provide a medium in which people identity themselves as public actors with public voices. Mass media qua mass never made a revolution; indeed they are a form of government control. What is crucial is the spontanenous combustion–totally unpredictable–of interactions that create a public to which governments must answer.

March 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  10. NOrma Lee

You , or your producers,really flubbed this week.First Gloria Borgner who is the emptiest of the empty heads on TV.
    Second Gladstone who speaks for( what he thinks is :)the outrageous: But is totally off fact. The protrsts at the Berlin Wall were reported to be 70,000. not millions. He totally ignores the uncountable numbers of people who own cell-phones and are moblized by the millions. When was the last country-wide protest acheived without cell-phones, Mr. Gladstone?
    Please don't bring him (or Gloria) on again Fareed.Your fans want you.

March 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  11. Jim

This morning Fareed recommended a fun book about international hand signals. I would like to get it as a fun present for my daughter who is an international relations student in Chicago, but I missed the title. Can someone provide me the title of the book ?

I agree with Marc and Farred and believe social networks have had a profound impact on revolutions in the middle east and elsewhere.

March 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  12. Linda Weeks

IWe can't overlook the contribution that Facebook and other current media have had on world matters. Of course they play a part, a significiant part in the connections that are forged between many influencial people in different parts of the world. That is the main improvement that is gained in having the social networks so prevalent today. Thank you, Fareed, and CNN.

March 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  13. Reza Kamali

I have mist the G p s today but I have read a little bet on the Global CNN news,about Malcolm Gladwell , but I believe is going to be an interesting book,but one thing I tell you believe or not,you like it or not the world Revolution is on the corner
    as you know the Poverty and Dictatorship wont work for long ,and as we know from the past some Powerful countries they Abuse there power all over the world and make there empire ,and after the second world war they divided the poor countries between themselves ,now with Nuclear technology in this Century the thinks are different.?

March 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  14. John Joyce

Dear Ms. Borger,
    When the panel was circling the Mideast in its comments yesterday it didn't mention Israel , not even once. . Talk about looking through a mastadon in flames sitting on the sofa.

March 28, 2011 at 3:27 am |
  15. Name*aminu

the intervention is not justifies, since when has the us supported rebels overtly?
    You have just made new enemies.

March 28, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  16. Beverly Miller

What was the name of the book on hand signals that can get you in hot water. Sounds like a book my husband would really like!!! Does anyone know the title???

March 28, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  17. Ashis

Dear Producers,

GPS is hands-down the best current-events program in the US today. The caliber of guests and Fareed's insightful analysis makes this a must-see for me and it never ceases to amaze me how Fareed can get so much from the guests despite saying so little.

While I appreciate it is very difficult to fill Fareed's shoes and Ms. Borger deserves applause for trying, this show does not feel the same when you split it into segments hosted by multiple anchors. As Malcolm Gladwell might say – "Who really wants New Coke"?

March 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  18. MarxM

Global "Public" Square = 5 Jewish people sneering about the Middle East? Bernays is so pleased.
    What if CNN had a panel of five prominent Muslims discussing US FOREIGN POLICY IN THE MIDDLE EAST? Would anyone notice? Would anyone have a problem with that, with the BIAS?

March 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  19. Ajeethaa

My interest in international relations grew since including Fareed in my circle of 'friends'. I watch his show first thing i get onto a computer (I am from australia). So not being able to read or hear Fareed's insights certainly did not make my educational day today. Gloria did try but not good enough for the high standard of the prog, already set by Fareed. If Fareed cannot be present in his show, then dont replace him with another anchor. Just dont show his show. Show us GPS with Fareed. Fareed gives out of the ordinary views on current issues. Gloria did not expand widely on this issue.

March 31, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  20. Ajeethaa

I like it when Fareed said "As you know, when I have guests on, I try to hear what they have to say rather than constantly interrupting with my own views." and he ended the sentence with a smile....
    *tsk tsk* ops! Gloria...did you hear that?

March 31, 2011 at 10:00 am |