China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
June 22nd, 2011

China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals

By Emily Lodish, Global Post

They only look like baby pandas.

These little bundles of joy are actually chow chow dogs that have been dyed black-and-white to look like pandas.

Dyeing pets has been a trend in pet pampering for quite some time. At last summer's Pets Show Taipei, there was a fierce dog-dyeing competition. Check out photos.

But dyeing your pets to look like other wild animals is a more recent development.

The trend demonstrates how quickly and dramatically attitudes toward pets — particularly dogs — have changed in many parts of Asia.

Read: Can China censor its leading artists, Ai Weiwei?

In Taiwan, for example, just 10 years ago, dogs were still eaten in public restaurants and raised on farms for that purpose. Traditional Chinese medicine held that so-called "fragrant meat" from dogs could fortify one's health.

Now, eating dog is viewed by many as an embarrassing reminder of a poorer time.

With more money to spend, newly wealthy Chinese have embraced dog-owning culture with a vengeance. Dogs are brought into restaurants, fussed over in public, dressed up in ridiculous outfits and dyed to look like ferocious tigers.

Panda or chow chow? Tiger or retriever? You be the judge:

People take the dogs which were painted as baby giant pandas and tigers out during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010.

For more pictures, visit Global Post.

Post by:
Topics: China • Culture

« Previous entry
  1. Caitlin Cranitch

The incompetence of these pet owners is shocking. It is cruel and heartless when pervading such a harsh coloured dye through animal fur and rather sadistic to think that owners would alter the appearance of their pets purely to gain attention. Simply put, pets are animals, NOT human beings and therefore they have no say in the matter. It seems rather superficial to raise an animal as a seasonal trend. However, if this is your prime intention, maybe invest in a designer handbag instead.

August 29, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  2. sara

woah....

September 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Ching-Ching

STOP TALKING ABOUT MY DOGS!!!!!!!..:(

September 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • emily

those are your dogs?? awesome!

September 9, 2011 at 2:27 am |
  4. emily

LOL! so if i wanted to paint my dog like a tiger.... it would be a bad idea??

September 9, 2011 at 2:26 am |
  5. emily

she would look sooo cool! shes a golden retreiver just like in that picture............... but after reading the commets i starting to think i shouldn't.

September 9, 2011 at 2:29 am |
  6. Richard Guiliano

One Word: DISGUSTING!

September 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  7. Maddie

The dogs really don't look that distressed at all, as long as the owners have checked that their pets aren't allergic to the product beforehand properly, i personally don't think it's a massive deal as long as your pet isn't distressed of affected. It's not an uncommon thing to dye dogs hair, you see it all the time on American TV with girls dying their dogs pink etc, just not animal print, if anything the animal print's better.

September 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Sarah

Absolutely this. If people want to do this, I don't see why they shouldn't as long as the put the health of the animal first. A test patch on it's skin to see if there is any adverse reaction, and to see if they continue to act normally. Plus, as far as aesthetics go, animal print is 100% more awesome than a doggy sweater any day.

September 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  8. Ty Tymkovich

where did you see this picture of such a high detail? Ty Tymkovich Tyrone Tymkovich.

September 19, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  9. Dena

Creative is a painting, creative is decorating your wall. If someone went nuts on a kid and dyed their skin wouldn't you call that sick? Maybe it's safe but these are living beings we seriously need to respect them a bit more.

October 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  10. Denise

This is cruelty..!!

October 3, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  11. daniellatheawesome

this is crule 🙁 but its cute if it does not harm the animal

October 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  12. ninja

Sup with china and china man.they don't got nothing else to do.let me paint u like panda n tiger take u outside.chinese r fake n bs

October 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  13. user12839

This is absolutely disgusting and typical of the Chinese!
    Dogs are dogs, they are not dolls! Dying them to appear like a panda or tiger must purely be for some sort of bizarre status it is immoral and quite frankly abuse. Whoever would do this must have severe psychological issues...
    The Chinese are disgusting.

October 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  14. user12839

Oh and FYI I'm not American, before any Chinese person uses that as there only valid defence.

October 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  15. Dawg

Alex needs to get laid or find a hobby or something.

October 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  16. Dewayne

Only a senseless moron would say this is animal cruelty...r u kidding me? Dyeing hair is animal cruelty?? Get real people we do it to ourselves all the time.. I could understand if this was some sort of painful process but I don't se anything that suggest that. Dogs who eat poop , roll around I dirt, and lick there own wounds r not going to care wat color hair they have...there's always a group of people who that have a problem wit anything...dumb

October 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • asdfgh

If people like you did not exist at all, the world would be a nicer place to live, I wish you all disappear suddenly and don't come back, it is surprising that you have a brain to write.

October 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
      • Dewayne

Rightttt im soooo cruel n evil because I don't belief it's cruel to dye an animal hair...ur right it's me that sounds unreasonable..lol..I'm sure u have a pet that u put a collar on with a leash..but that def not cruelty right? Or that fact that u probably eat meat..that's not cruelty either right? But dyeing a dogs hair, well that's just horrific huh...lol, incredibly hypocritical...but as I said, there's always someone thaT complains about something

October 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  17. deepblackdarkness

Stop this animal cruelty you idiots!!!! Those dogs are highly more sophisticated then your tiny brains, I wish they had the chance, then they would paint art master pieces on you, not just pandas or tigers. Screw you people!!!

October 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  18. Sofa

that kid in the top picture's really adorable(:

October 16, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  19. zephyr

I've found reading many of the comments here quite disturbing. I'm a vet nurse, shelter worker and a dog trainer. I've worked with animals for 40 years. I have serious concerns about the safety of the dyes used but I also wonder why anyone would even want to do that to their dogs, but them I also don't understand people dressing their dogs in stupid outfits like little four-legged humans. Dogs are dogs, not children and not tigers or pandas.

As for comparing this with tail docking or ear cropping, well I live in Australia and ear cropping has never been allowed here in my lifetime. Tail docking has now been made illegal in several states and it is expected that this will be national soon. Even the mulesing of sheep is facing strong opposition and many sheep farmers have ceased it. Yes we have some puppy mills but The RSPCA is working hard to stamp those out.

I can't see how face-painting of children is relevant to the discussion when taht is not a permanent dye.

It is about time we all realised that having a child or a pet is a privilege not a right and we should treat each with respect and appreciation without trying to turn them into something they are not.

October 16, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Helen Z. Bateman

Your comments are more like mine than some of others, so yes, I agree with you. I don't even like "clothes" or costumes on my little Maltese. She is my second. I lost my beloved Joey to a coyote 6 years ago, I still can't say how he was taken and what happened to him. It was like losing one of my children to a murderer. Yes, dogs are dogs, but if you feel like treating one like more than "just a dog", that's your business, But painting dogs to look like other animals? why don't you just get a lion or panda as a "pet". I know, some people do. And if the "wild animal" turns on you, you deserve it!

December 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  20. zephyr

Sorry about the typos above!!

October 16, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  21. biensur

Julie, Tom, Buck, Susie, and whatever other faux American (Chinese) posters, you should probably just stop trying to defend this. You will be hard pressed and I mean, hard pressed to find ANY American who will actually find this practice acceptable...at all. If there's one thing about this country, when it comes to pets, and dogs in particular, they're quit loved and people go to prison for a very long time for causing them harm. It may not seem that bad, but I'll be honest – I personally found these pictures pretty disturbing...

October 17, 2011 at 12:19 am |
    • USA

LttlGTO

Then, we had better be prepared to arrest all of the beauticians in America. At least 25% of the american public engages in this barbaric hair/fur dying ritual....let's get real people.

October 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  22. grayday

hnestly i doubt the dog gives a dam can everyone quit complaining how bout you buy a dog and keeep him any color you want to ....people are so dumb especially the person who said that dogs on leashes is animal abuse?? seriously??? let them do what they want? sure let them run into roads causing people to wreck or some dogs possibly killing someone yous so dumb

October 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  23. grayday

btw im american and this is probably one of the coolest things i have ever seen

October 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  24. Weird

Humans dye their hair....

October 20, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  25. Weird

I'm American... I can't have real tiger as pet. But I want that TIGER DOG!!!

October 20, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  26. ruzuzuzu

They look like Lady Gaga!!! These dogs are more loved and pampered. They should use non toxic and non allergenic dyes. Biggest number of comments. Dogs are more interesting than politics and the economy!!! Unfortunate??

October 20, 2011 at 1:52 am |