China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
June 22nd, 2011

China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals

By Emily Lodish, Global Post

They only look like baby pandas.

These little bundles of joy are actually chow chow dogs that have been dyed black-and-white to look like pandas.

Dyeing pets has been a trend in pet pampering for quite some time. At last summer's Pets Show Taipei, there was a fierce dog-dyeing competition. Check out photos.

But dyeing your pets to look like other wild animals is a more recent development.

The trend demonstrates how quickly and dramatically attitudes toward pets — particularly dogs — have changed in many parts of Asia.

Read: Can China censor its leading artists, Ai Weiwei?

In Taiwan, for example, just 10 years ago, dogs were still eaten in public restaurants and raised on farms for that purpose. Traditional Chinese medicine held that so-called "fragrant meat" from dogs could fortify one's health.

Now, eating dog is viewed by many as an embarrassing reminder of a poorer time.

With more money to spend, newly wealthy Chinese have embraced dog-owning culture with a vengeance. Dogs are brought into restaurants, fussed over in public, dressed up in ridiculous outfits and dyed to look like ferocious tigers.

Panda or chow chow? Tiger or retriever? You be the judge:

People take the dogs which were painted as baby giant pandas and tigers out during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010.

For more pictures, visit Global Post.

Post by:
Topics: China • Culture

« Previous entry
  1. nioxin recharging complex reviews

Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn. This is a very well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

April 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  2. Funny stuff

they change the pets appearance, but every person in China looks like Moe from the Three Stooges.

April 16, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  3. Ihatedschool

Paint them before you eat them I guess.

The same as putting hot sauce on a taco.

April 16, 2012 at 3:18 am |
  4. Capricorn

I am down with it......as long as they dont eat them.

April 17, 2012 at 2:59 am |
  5. peng

anyone who criticizing making up for pets, do u eat chicken in KFC, and do u eat pork, or any other...
    Just calm down, man, why u always mention about your so-called "democracy" ?
    I like Americans and like your culture as well, but you make almost everything we chinese did connected to "democracy",
    is that a little..?
    making up pets says we love animal, especially dogs, we always think dogs are human beings friends, I used to have a dog too, and I make up for her, seems she is very happy. making up comes with love, so she is happy.. U understand this? and, if we don't make up, or do not do anything,don't talk to him, and let it be the way he is, that says we love animal???

April 18, 2012 at 3:58 am |
  6. Garf Fisher

In one way, it looks cute and unique, but from the point of view from my four legged friend, I think it is kind of cruel. I don't know how toxic the dye is to the animal, but i am working on the assumption it hurts.

April 18, 2012 at 6:15 am |
    • Wee Pee Daylee

Test it on the chinaman!

April 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
      • Garf Fisher

If we were to test it on a Chinaman, does this qualify as a human trial?

April 19, 2012 at 3:32 am |
  7. gordotaco

barney frank would make a good panda

April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Wee Pee Daylee

He'd be better as a donkey or an ass!

April 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  8. PJ

Finally! The Chinese come up with something creative on their own without steeling it from us.

April 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  9. Wee Pee Daylee

Let the chinese paint their dogs – at least they stopped eating them? However, theres certainly enough of the chines to put THEM on the menu!

April 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  10. William

This is wrong on so many levels. Animals have no say in what "stupid" human do to them. Fads are pathetic. If you want to do something different, be creative with yourself instead. Enough!

April 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  11. Anonymous Person

What is wrong with this world!

April 20, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  12. SamanthaBB

OMG GUYZZ!!! so cruueeeel!!!! stupid damn chinese cause nothing butt truble.! they evn made sussi with real fish! they need 2 b stoped b4 they attack! whos with me mricans????? <3

April 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  13. Majesty Rider

INSANE EXPLOITATION OF ANIMALS! NOTHING LESS!

April 22, 2012 at 11:22 am |
  14. pocket vaporizer

It's the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I want to counsel you some fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article. I desire to read more issues about it!

April 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  15. Hahahahahaha

I don't care what it is. If it shlts on my lawn, it's DEAD!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahaha

April 25, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  16. Brooke

If all you haters think that is exploitation and animal abuse then you are dumb. Exploitation is people having pets in the first place! They were once wild animals but that has been stripped away by integration and breeding. We've already gone as far as to keep a pet so why not paint them a pretty colour. Im sure they dont mind. We all love to be pampered. As long as the die is non-toxic then who cares. I wouldn't do it to my pet but, hey, to each their own. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/how-to-dye-dog-hair.htm

April 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  17. Seamus

Don't be fooled by this articles flippant dismissal of perhaps the Taiwanese not eating dog anymore, because in the town I lived in outside of Shanghai, my Chinese students were more than happy to not only tell me how delicious dog meat tastes but they also gave me a detailed list of the most tasty colors of dog, from Black (the most delicious), all the way down to White (apparently not very tasty because indeed they were everywhere in my city). It's still very popular and yep, it does taste a bit like frog's legs.

April 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  18. logan

THIS, i why i don't consider China a threat, they're all living the lives of 4 year olds.

April 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  19. realy

sick

April 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  20. Nutsflipped

everyone here is concerned about the dogs getting dyed, i was thinking that they escaped getting eating. Chow chows are food in China.

April 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  21. L Y

As a Taiwanese, I have to say this part in this article is NOT TRUE at all-
    "In Taiwan, for example, just 10 years ago, dogs were still eaten in public restaurants and raised on farms for that purpose."

I am 33 year old and I never see any public restaurant selling dogs meat in Taiwan through out my life.

Please stop making FALSE report. And please don't mix up Taiwan and China. Taiwan and China are two different country.

April 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  22. CG

Everyone on here is so annoying! shut up, Its not abuse!... these dogs look sooooooo adorable!!!!!! I WANT A BABY CHOW SO I CAN HAVE HIM PAINTED LIKE A FLUFFY PANDA TOO! =)

April 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  23. ronnie simmons

what Luis responded I am surprised that some one able to get paid $9676 in 1 month on the computer. have you read this website NUTTYRICHdotcom

April 28, 2012 at 3:48 am |
  24. learn a language online free

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd without a doubt donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

April 28, 2012 at 4:14 am |
  25. latin ladies for dating

Hello there, simply became aware of your weblog thru Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you happen to proceed this in future. A lot of people shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

April 28, 2012 at 5:10 am |
  26. common sense

why the hate?

the dogs seem happy. So why do you object ?

this is art, and it looks cute.

All you tree hugger and PETA people are annoying.

April 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  27. Jessica

Wolves. Wild animals turned to dogs. Dogs turned to lions. The circle of life. The Lion King. Mufassa. Chows. *snaps snaps*

April 29, 2012 at 6:10 am |
  28. timothy

Yumm!!! We'll fry dogs for you folks!!

April 29, 2012 at 6:59 am |