China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
June 22nd, 2011

China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals

By Emily Lodish, Global Post

They only look like baby pandas.

These little bundles of joy are actually chow chow dogs that have been dyed black-and-white to look like pandas.

Dyeing pets has been a trend in pet pampering for quite some time. At last summer's Pets Show Taipei, there was a fierce dog-dyeing competition. Check out photos.

But dyeing your pets to look like other wild animals is a more recent development.

The trend demonstrates how quickly and dramatically attitudes toward pets — particularly dogs — have changed in many parts of Asia.

Read: Can China censor its leading artists, Ai Weiwei?

In Taiwan, for example, just 10 years ago, dogs were still eaten in public restaurants and raised on farms for that purpose. Traditional Chinese medicine held that so-called "fragrant meat" from dogs could fortify one's health.

Now, eating dog is viewed by many as an embarrassing reminder of a poorer time.

With more money to spend, newly wealthy Chinese have embraced dog-owning culture with a vengeance. Dogs are brought into restaurants, fussed over in public, dressed up in ridiculous outfits and dyed to look like ferocious tigers.

Panda or chow chow? Tiger or retriever? You be the judge:

People take the dogs which were painted as baby giant pandas and tigers out during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.
A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010.

For more pictures, visit Global Post.

Post by:
Topics: China • Culture

« Previous entry
  1. andree

Quelle stupidité et manque de respect, je pense de toute façon que tous les asiatique sont un peu sots, a voir de la facon dont ils ont coupé leur forêt, a la façon dont ils se sont multipliés.... en sauvage, de la façon dont ils n'ont jamais respecté l'environnement...a la facon dont ils viennent vider nos océans, rien ne me surprend de ce peuple.

June 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • sophie

"tous les asiatique sont un peu sots"? Tous? c'est raciste ce que vous avez dit monsieur. c'est trop extrême ce que vous avez dit, et c'est dangereux. faut changer la façon dont vous pensez en matière de "tous".

October 12, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  2. mickyblue

this is some of the best shit i've ever seen 😀

June 29, 2011 at 1:37 am |
  3. nabrina

when the chinese are not dyeing the dogs this is what they do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAvsm1Yer5w

June 29, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  4. Andrianna

Everyone needs to stop talking about animal abuse and see the real meaning of the story. They're doing it to celebrate the opening of a new pet park. I find it very creative and cute. America is no where near as creative as Asian countries. It's also no where near as open-minded as them either. I could say more, but that would not flow with what I'm trying to say.

June 29, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  5. JuJu

It's better than eating them.

June 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  6. Reene

For those up in arms about how dyeing animal fur counts as abuse.... the story says the animals were PAINTED.

June 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  7. Ben

Wow, all these EMOTIONAL comments!! Why?

So why do some dog "lovers" scream at dog painting while they cut/mutilate the tails of their own dogs?

But I believe both acts reflect the self-centered desires of pet owners to shape / control things, people, and animals to their own liking. And thus, when these so-called pet lovers see others treating pets in a different way (painting instead of cutting), they lash out emotionally - because they want control ("hey you all need to treat your pet my way") - but they can't control - and so they lash out.

The rest of us? True torture/killing aside, we hold a more "live and let live" attitude. I wish people will stop painting their dogs and stop cutting off their tails - but oh well...

June 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  8. Knight

Don't be prejudiced to any country's people. Any of them isn't that stupid as you think or other's said. To be smart and generous, you will find a better life.

June 30, 2011 at 4:18 am |
  9. really?

Really people, with all that is going on in the world, we have to discuss dying your pets hair. Try to look at the big picture, if we don't get our civilization and planet back in order then we won't have a chance for survival.

yes i understand that writing this kinda contradicts what i wrote, i was just compelled to try.

June 30, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  10. Alira

Dog ownership especially when it invloves one dog is a form of slavery. We just don't place ourselves at their level, we assume for the most part they are happy. If you are going to own a dog get two, so at least they have someone to communicate with.

June 30, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  11. Jake

This trend actually started in Japan.

June 30, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  12. Khalil Sheikh

well its not that who started it, this is some thig trying to finishing reality of Animals, yest this is Art but pls dont try on innocent Animals, this is some thing you are doing with life, adopt a chiled and do with him and see what happen just becouse human have voice, and animal dont ?

July 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Amanda

For starters this is adorable, some ppl might not think so but I love it! Also this is a form of art. ppl have forever been expressing themselves through art. This just happens to be done on a slightly different canvas. ;). And I also want to point out how this proves that Asian countries are 100 times more creative then Americans! On behalf of wither this is harming the animals or not I gotta say if it was really harming them then they wouldn't be doing it. Most ppl don't set off to harm animals on a daily basis, and I don't think this is harming them. I myself am an animal lover and I would be one of the first ppl to condemn this if I thought this was hurting them.-there is no proof to show that this is the case. This is no worse then shaving an animal, and I can almost guarantee that the dogs are LOVING! the extra attention. For ppl that are comparing this to docking tales and declawing, this is not even in the same ballpark. declawing and docking is permanent, this can be shaved right off. Also what we do everyday to animals is alot worse then what we would ever do to ourselves.
      Also it says in the article that they painted them -so mute point on dyeing!
      -(like what this person said)Andrianna

August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  13. ai wei

ITS SO CUTE, IM GOING TO DIE!!! 可爱

July 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  14. Sabina (sweden)

I'm a hairdresser and a dog owner (white german shepherd) first thing first, theres no way you can colour hair that white colour if its brown or black in the beginning, and every one that owns a white dog can see that theese dogs where white in the beginning, and if the colour is harmless why all the fuzz about it, my dogs love when they get attention i can guess its no worse than shampooing your dog and seriously I dont think its wrong to groom dogs, I would never colour my dogs because I dont think its pretty but I think that its no more animal abuse than cutting their claws, brushing their teeth, grooming their hair and so on, whatahell, humans eat cows,pigs and other animals, we use horses to ride on and you dont think thats animal abuse, stop worrying about this nonsense and care about the chinese furfarms or the poor chickens all over the world who live in small cages whit poo allover themselves or the dolphins that get slaughter every yaer and those who get catched so we can watch them in captivity in zoos and so on. there are more important things to worry about than a little colour in their coats that grows out or gets washed out.

July 7, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  15. Diane

The white is the dogs natural colour, it won't have been bleached as dogs hair wouldn't take to such treatment.
    Its funny how many are condeming this ritual when its been around for absolute YEARS in dog showing!!
    You see veteran dogs (over 7yrs) with not one white hair on its muzzle, for example boxers that have black masks (it gets dyed trust me) the same goes for Great Danes with black masks as people think the white detracts from the overall outline of the dog. Poodles get washed in specific dog whitening shampoo (harmless) and then powered up to the hilt, Black dogs with a bit of white on them will get that undesirable white patch covered up with black boot polish. LOL how naive some people are to call the chinese over this when its EPIDEMIC in USA show circuits.

July 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  16. jo

yeah, painting the animals before they eat them

July 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • McFancy

Oh yeah? you actually have seen them eat their pets?

August 15, 2011 at 3:41 am |
  17. chelsea

i <3 these dogs but i like polor bears better but these dogs r the cutest... 🙂

July 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  18. Ben

People who see this as a form of animal abuse are morons. This doesn't hurt the animals and they're likewise cared and loved for. Get a grip people! Stop being such stick in the muds.

July 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  19. jc

Emily Lodine, I don't know where you're getting your facts but the Taiwanese did not raise dogs in farms to be eaten, nor where they served publicly in restaurants, not even 20 years ago.

August 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Palito

nonsense! Traditionally Chinese, Korean and Taiwanese love eating dogs. Many still do.

September 7, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • emily

..............wait........... so they do eat there dogs or they don't................ but i pretty sure they don't............... i at least hope so........ haha you gyes r crazy i agree with @enta

September 9, 2011 at 2:33 am |
  20. enta

Reading the comments...you guys are freaking crazy

August 8, 2011 at 6:44 am |
  21. Amber

This is adorable...although i would be wary of the toxicity of the dyes when it comes to my babies and also i am in love with who they are...if i wanted a panda I WOULD get a panda.

August 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • McFancy

I am very curious, how would you get a panda?

August 15, 2011 at 3:38 am |
  22. Calla

Wow I read through all of these comments...
    No one can really say whether the dye used on the dogs was toxic or not. If you wash a white dog in red kool-aid you will get a pink dog. Totally safe and the dog will smell terrific, I know, I dyed my chicken's under fluff (the softer parts of the feathers closer to the skin, mainly for warmth) pink to give her that cotton candy/sherbert ice cream look. I don't go parading with her all over the place though, it's weird when people wanna show it off.
    Kool-Aid and food coloring is a cheap and fun way to dye your pets. Plus my chicken loved the warm bath!
    I do not approve of day old chicks that are dyed and are sold on holidays as novelty items. That dyeing process is just sick, and they die because of people who buy them and can't care for them properly.
    I have a white silkie hen who has a blue heart in her fluff (silkies lack barbicels, so they don't have regular feathers). The dye I mainly use is Kool-Aid.
    They may have not used KA or food coloring, but who am I to say they used some chemical filled goop? I think the pictures are very cute.

August 17, 2011 at 4:45 am |