September 12th, 2011

Watch GPS: Donald Rumsfeld on 9/11

We had a special edition of GPS this week, "9/11 and the World.” I sat down with the man who ran the Pentagon when it was attacked and who ran the military response that followed: Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld tells us what he remembers of that day, ten years ago; whether Washington was right to go to war in Iraq; and why he thinks Congress is making a big mistake in considering slashing our defense budget.

Also on the show, my personal reflections ten years after 9/11 and a smart discussion with Francis Fukuyama, Rory Stewart, and Irshad Manji.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Episodes • GPS Show

« Previous entry
  1. Ulf Torstensson

Thanks CNN for Fahred Zakaria. First journalist to understand and underline the real problems in and outside US.

September 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  2. Geo T

Why this in this video. I can see all other videos in the site except this one.

September 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Scott Harris

I have the same problem.

September 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Ludwig

Same error message for me. All the other videos work well though.

September 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Geo T

I wander if anybody from the webmasters reads these comments...

September 14, 2011 at 9:15 am |
      • speter

I don't think so...

September 17, 2011 at 5:01 am |
    • Jennipher

I'm having the same problem and I have to watch the video for a class in college. I have emailed my instructor and found a single sound bite on youtube, but as far as the show goes I have to read the details here on the site without watching it for now.

September 14, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Mitch

Same problem, and I've already had to go an extra week without my Fareed fix!

September 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Justin

Same problem here, won't play only this video. I've tried a couple different computers, maybe Rumsfeld is editing his comments 😉

September 15, 2011 at 1:37 am |
      • Pradeep

Watch this podcast on iTunes. It works there. This particular podcast doesn't work in the web browser for me too.

September 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
      • Scott

It's much more likely that someone at CNN is editting this show. At the very least, Amar has his head elsewhere.

September 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  3. Melina

I have the same problem – unable to view the video of the 12 Sept prog with the same error message – but the other videos are fine.

September 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  4. IE

Same issue! :-/

September 14, 2011 at 12:53 am |
  5. John

Donald Rumsfeld was responsible for WASTING £3 TRILLION dollars on wars based on LIES
    He is also responsible for the 100.000s of deaths and injured american soldiers
    He is also responsible for millions of civilians loosing their homes

Yet, we heard no real questions about these "crimes"

September 14, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  6. John

Why did the Bush administration decide to suspend the hunt for Osama?

Given that the hijackers had Saudi Arabian passports – Why did the US attack Iraq?

Who got the oil from Iraq?

September 14, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  7. texas2e

Fareed succeeded in asking some fairly agressive questions without pushing Mr Rumseld to the wall. He kept it edgy- but it could have easily been more confrontational. Nice balancing act. He maintained access.

September 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  8. Scott Styris

Hi Fareed, there is some technical problem with this video. When I try to play it shows me error "The video timed out attempting to play. Please ensure that you do not have any Flash or JavaScript blocking plugins active.". Please ask your technical team to correct. I am a big fan of GPS show.

September 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Al Dubinsky

I can't get it either–why??

September 16, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  9. Steve P.

$7 [SEVEN] TRILLIONS spend on Military since 2011...

WHY are we broke?

September 16, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  10. Steve P.

since 9/11 2001 :/

September 16, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  11. pound

Still having the technical problem viewing the video... as other viewers have stated earlier. Would really like to view this interview!

September 16, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  12. Richard D.

I have tried a number of browsers and have checked the pref settings – the problem is on your end, prove that you read these comments and fix it!

September 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  13. speter

Same issue here. "The video timed out..."
    But here is the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1109/11/fzgps.01.html

September 17, 2011 at 5:04 am |
  14. Osgood

Same problem. Won't play. Tried from 2 different computers. No luck

September 17, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  15. Justin

Hi all, here is the link to the podcast video: http://podcasts.cnn.net/cnn/big/podcasts/fareedzakaria/video/2011/09/11/gps.podcast.09.11.cnn.m4v

Push "ctrl +" to expand the small video screen.

Great interview, Fareed was brilliantly observant as always.

September 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  16. Mark

Why does Rumsfeld tell us (at 1:15) that he had run into a Lieutenant who had seen a plane hit the building. It's odd. It's the one really specific thing he mentions from the moments following the event. Doesn't everyone assume it was a plane? Why bring it up? I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but when many questions about 9/11 remain unanswered, or poorly answered, when people like Tim Roemer accidently say "missile" when they mean to say "plane", and then your hear comments like D.R.'s in this interview, you become more and more convinced that a lot of the truth still lies buried.

October 9, 2011 at 10:45 am |