March 8th, 2012

Zakaria: Iran is a "rational actor"

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Hundreds of you have submitted very thoughtful questions for me through Facebook, Twitter and my blog. Over the next few days, I am going to post my text and video responses to some of the most common questions and a few others that caught my eye.

A number of you asked me whether I agree with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey who described Iran as a "rational actor" on my program a couple of weeks ago.

My answer is: I very much agree with General Dempsey.  It's very important to understand, however, what it means to talk about a "rational actor."  A rational actor is not a reasonable actor. It is not somebody who has the same goals or values as we have.

In international affairs or economics, the term rational actor is used to describe somebody who is concerned about their survival, prosperity or strength and is making calculations on the basis of these concerns.  It describes someone who calculates costs and benefits.

We all assume Iran is a rational actor - even the most hawkish people in this debate - when we assume that pressure on Iran will make a difference. We are assuming that Iran is watching the costs of its actions, calculating them and, presumably, will recognize that the costs outweigh the benefits. This is all that it means to say that Iran is a rational actor.

Indeed, Iran has been very calculating in its behavior, far more so than other so-called radical, revolutionary regimes. If you look at Mao's China, he talked openly about destroying the world and about sacrificing half of China so that global communism could survive. The Iranians never talk like that and they certainly don't do things like that. Their behavior for 30 years has been calculating. They respond to inducements and pressures in ways that are completely understandable.

Their goals are not ours, of course, but that's a very different issue.

Look at the nuclear issue putting yourself in Iran's position.  An Iranian official once said to me about five years ago, ‘We are not pursuing a nuclear weapons program; we are pursuing a nuclear program.’ I wouldn't trust that characterization, but here's what he then said:

‘But if we were to pursue a nuclear weapons program, would it be so irrational? Look at our neighborhood.  Russia has nukes.  India has nukes. Pakistan has nukes.  China has nukes.  And Israel has nukes.

Then on one side of our border the United States has 100,000 troops in Iraq.  On the other side of our border, the United States has 100,000 troops in Afghanistan.  The president of the United States, George W. Bush, says he's committed to ousting our regime. Now, if you were in our position, wouldn't that make you nervous and wouldn't you want to buy some kind of insurance?'

That doesn't sound like the talk of a mad, messianic regime official, but rather of one that's looking at costs and benefits and calculating them.

You can pose questions for me on FacebookTwitter or on CNN.com/GPS. Come back throughout the week for more of my responses to questions on third party candidates in America, China's rise, oil prices and more.

Post by:
Topics: From Fareed • Iran • Reader Q&A

1. address electrician near me free estimate

This website is really a stroll-by for all of the data you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll undoubtedly discover it.

December 2, 2020 at 7:34 am |
  2. Isidro

I always spent my 30 minutes to learn this website's articles
    everyday in addition to a cup of coffee.

my blog bullet journal lined notebook

December 3, 2020 at 2:06 am |
  3. click this link here now electrician san diego ca

Throughout the grand design of things you actually get an A just for effort and hard work. Where you misplaced us ended up being on your details. You know, people say, the devil is in the details... And it could not be much more correct in this article. Having said that, permit me tell you what did do the job. The text is definitely really convincing and this is probably why I am taking an effort to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, whilst I can easily notice a jumps in reason you make, I am not necessarily confident of just how you seem to connect your ideas which in turn help to make the actual final result. For the moment I will subscribe to your point however wish in the future you actually link the facts better.

December 4, 2020 at 2:35 am |
  4. Joseph

Appreciation to my father who shared with me concerning this internet site, this webpage
    is in reality amazing.

My web blog ChloeKAnzora

December 16, 2020 at 9:48 am |
  5. Gabrielle

My coder is wanting to persuade me to maneuver to .net from PHP.
    I actually have always disliked the thought due
    to costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites
    for around a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.
    I have got heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a
    way I can transfer my wordpress content in it? Any type of help could be greatly appreciated!

Also visit my blog :: zipper pouch insert for travelers notebook system

December 17, 2020 at 7:35 am |
  6. Renaldo Wimberley

The top stock to buy for 2021 range with small-cap precious stones in the rough like URBT to dominant emerging stocks. If you have $300 to spare right now, the following groundbreaking stock can be wonderful for opportunistic long-term investors. Urban Television Network Corp stock character URBT. I do not know about you, nonetheless once I think of technology, internet streaming services stocks one thinks of. Over the past decade, we have now experienced extraordinary breakthroughs in streaming bit rates along with devices that are designed to support those services. We have now witnessed foremost streaming services similar to HBO and Netflix grab market share, but this little recognized corporation URBT. have established wonderful streaming services URBTPlus Movies + Live TV. I imagine this corporation will undoubtedly secure the urban streaming Market. The stock market forever has a few shocks on hand, just like any shareholder in 2020 would attest. URBT has been astonishing that has a 300 increase over twelve months. But by and large, the major factor specialists are looking at it as they discover the top stocks to get for 2021 is the same factor that led 2020: COVID-19. & streaming service URBTPlus is addressing the call. So as an opportunist look at Urban TV Network Corp. stock symbol "URBT". #urbtplus

December 25, 2020 at 5:02 pm |
  7. plumbers near me this page

hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, since I experienced to reload the site many times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again very soon..

January 1, 2021 at 7:52 pm |